pixeltracker

What revival are we ready for?- Page 3

What revival are we ready for?

musicgal04 Profile Photo
musicgal04
#50re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 4:49pm

Hello Dolly, Camelot, West Side Story, and Finian's Rainbow.

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#51re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 4:49pm

On the Twentieth Century.....PERFECT show -- it was a showcase for Klien, Cullum, Coco and Kahn -- one of Cy Coleman's best scores that deserves a full mounting!

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#52re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 4:56pm

We are definitely due for a FINIAN'S RAINBOW revival!!!!!

And I'm sure we'll see HELLO, DOLLY! anytime now - Channing is due to come back to the show in a final "once before I die" tour.

And as far as EVITA, I was supposed to be involved with the tour but had to turn it down. They want to bring the production to Broadway when the tour is over - I know they definitely WANT to.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#53re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 4:58pm

south pacific

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#54re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:00pm

As much as I dislike the show, you're right - I would love to see a completely new, re-thought production. David Leveaux should direct - that would be heaven.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Plum
#55re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:09pm

I would say Sunday in the Park With George- La Cage Aux Folles got its revival, didn't it?- but I have no idea who wouldn't disappoint me as Dot.

Evidently My Fair Lady was already revived in the mid-90s, so there goes another favorite of mine. A Chorus Line may have closed 15 years ago, but it was also on for a very, very long time. Give it another 5 years at least. It's also too soon for Company. West Side Story and A Little Night Music are already in the works. Hmm.

Okay, I'll go with Dreamgirls and Pal Joey.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#56re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:15pm

Wow, a lot of these are already happening. Annie is being revived on Broadway for a 30th anniversary or something, with Martin Charnin directing again. (and that's straight from the source) Hello, Dolly! and Mame are both being revived in the next few years. Dreamgirls has been rumored for a while, and The Wiz is set to open early this year. March, I believe. Sweeney Todd was just announced to transfer from London, wasn't it? Into the Woods, Music Man, Guys and Dolls, Les Mis, etc. are all waaaaaaaay too new for a revival, in my mind.

I would love to see Funny Girl. It hasn't been revived. Ever. I agree with Hair. That would be great. I also agree with 110 in the Shade. I love that show.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#57re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:18pm

Oh yeah....i forgot... WEST SIDE STORY...with the entire cast (besides the few adult roles) under 22...Oh and with me in it.

Akiva Updated On: 1/2/05 at 05:18 PM

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#58re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:21pm

west side story should totally come back to bway!

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#59re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:22pm

I agree with both SOUTH PACIFIC and ON THE 20TH CENTURY.

Wasn't the EVITA tour that's out now originally headed for Broadway? I know that the reviews haven't been very good, especially for the leading lady, so maybe that will affect it.

I'd also love to see terrific revivals of: THE ROBBER BRIDEGROOM, PROMISES PROMISES, ON A CLEAR DAY..., KISMET, and THE MOST HAPPY FELLA (with full orchestra, not just two pianos like the last one).

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#60re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:29pm

Oooh. Robber Bridegroom would be fantastic!! I also forgot West Side Story. I heard rumor of Jerry Mitchell taking it on.

And yes, Evita is supposedly coming back to Broadway in the next few years.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#61re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:30pm

Plum -- Audra was amazing as Dot this past summer at the Ravinia concert --
if we see SITPWG, rest assured it will be a Roundabout production -- I'd give it a few more seasons...

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

MargoChanning
#62re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:30pm

Look for a 50th anniversary production of West Side Story in 2007, helmed by Jerry Mitchell (using the original Robbins choreography).

The rights for a Dreamgirls revival were given to Scott Sanders' Creative Battery production company almost two years ago and was supposed to make it to Broadway last Spring -- no word on what happened to it or if it's still in the works.

Bob Avian (Tony-winning co-choreographer of A Chorus Line and co-executor of the Michael Bennett estate) has said that he would like to bring ACL back sometime in the next couple of seasons (with the original Bennett staging intact). We'll have to wait and see.

And expect Dolly and Mame sometime in the next two to three seasons.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 1/2/05 at 05:30 PM

Plum
#63re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:34pm

I respect Audra McDonald's talent, but I just don't like her singing. And even if I did, her voice seems too- is classical the word?- for Dot. She is a good actress though, and her presence in a revival wouoldn't exactly drive me away. :)

BEKA531
#64re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:35pm

AIDA.

with adam as ramades.

VeuveClicquot
#65re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:38pm

I know what you mean, Plum. I do adore McDonald's glorious soprano voice, and I think she would be a good Dot. But I understand your apprehensions.

She was completely wrong for the DREAMGIRLS benefit. There's no way that Deena would have that kind of operatic training, and it stuck out like a sore thumb (to me, anyway.)

maybethistime
#66re: What revival are we ready for?

MAME
AIN'T MISBEHAVIN'
BLOOD BROTHERS
SWEENEY

Plum
#67re: What revival are we ready for?

Well, at least she wasn't Effie. :P

wicked1
#68re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:39pm

HAIR
DREAMGIRLS
A CHORUS LINE
WEST SIDE STORY

Those are my top four choices!!

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#69re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:46pm

Hair (of COURSE!)
Sunday in the Park With George (Cuze i never got to see it)
Taboo

aaand... with a revised book and some music changes i would like to see CLoser to Heaven come across the pond.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

gypsyqueen Profile Photo
gypsyqueen
#71re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:57pm

I'm just going to concur with everyone else and say HAIR. I'd also like to see a revival of Pal Joey or maybe even something crazy from the "olden days" like Lady In The Dark or Best Foot Forward. Revisals or something.

I like the old stuff.

Skempp Profile Photo
Skempp
#72re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:57pm

Margo, has WSS ever been revived? I can't remember it. Who'd be your dream cast?

Would love to see South Pacific revived...especially with the bigotry emerging in the U.S.

VeuveClicquot
#73re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 5:59pm

Yes skempp, it was revived in '79 or '80 with Debbie Allen as Anita. I didn't see it, but she was reportedly terrific. Updated On: 1/2/05 at 05:59 PM

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#74re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 6:06pm

A Chorus Line
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENEYYYYYY!!!
Dreamgirls
Sunday In The Park With George
Once On This Island
Pippin

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#75re: What revival are we ready for?
Posted: 1/2/05 at 6:14pm

i have to chime in and say HAIR also
it's nice to see that people still have some affection toward this show
i would also love to see a full scale revival of bacharach and david's "promises, promises" - i was fortunate enough to see the ENCORES concert staging and it's such a good show, it hasn't been on Broadway since it left
i would also love to see "a chorus line" return, nyc was never the same again to me after that show closed
im happy about the upcoming "west side story" revival - we need a strong classic legendary musical represented on the Great White Way to remind us what Broadway is really all about. . .
and i would also love to see a full scale revival of "dreamgirls" - this show has a special place in my heart because it's the show responsible for opening up the whole world of musical theater to me.
Updated On: 1/2/05 at 06:14 PM

Videos