pixeltracker

Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs- Page 3

Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#50Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 3:27pm

You're exactly right, Timmerbo. The version of Phantom widely credited to Blink 182 is really the fantastic Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

Love the punk covers of Rocky Horror. I'll definitely add some to the playlist.

stagestar130 Profile Photo
stagestar130
#51Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 5:37pm

I don't know if this is technically a "showtune" but there's this dance mix of little mermaid out there somewhere. I have no idea who covered it. I heard it about a year ago and remember thinking it was the funniest thing I have ever heard. I'll try to find out who did it.

LightMyCandle125 Profile Photo
LightMyCandle125
#52Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 10:26pm

omg that katie holmes clip is the funniest thing i have ever EVER heard. why does something like that even exist? she doesn't even sings all the notes, but she like, slides off of them. "the world is full of happiness that i have never knowwwn." and who the hell is cheering for her at the end of that? blech.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#53Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 10:32pm

anything that debbie gibson covers.

MatureDignity Profile Photo
MatureDignity
#54Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 10:32pm

Disco Sweeney just blew my mind. I'm afraid to listen to Katie Holmes.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#55Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 10:40pm

I used to watch this show on PBS called Zoom, and I cam across the website of one of the girls who used to be on the show. I think her name was Kaleigh (sp?) and she had red hair. There were MP3s on her website, including one of All That Jazz...her voice was not right for that song.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#56Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 11:13pm

Debbie Gibson!! I completely forgot - how horrible! Adding her to the playlist immediately.

Sant
#57Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/19/05 at 2:27pm

Gloria Gaynor did an odd disco version of La Cage...'s "I Am What I Am".

Gwen Stefani's "Rich Girl" uses "If I were a rich man" melody.

Kimmygonbefamous Profile Photo
Kimmygonbefamous
#58Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/19/05 at 2:36pm

Gwen Stefani's "Rich Girl" is one of the most aggravating songs I have ever had the misfortune of listening to. I actually called my radio station during the all-request lunch hour and requested that that song NOT be played for at least that ONE hour. Not only does it suck, but KC101 plays it about 4 times an hour. Ugh...she manages to 1.) badly sample a showtune 2.) have Eve shamelessly promote both of their tacky fashion lines, and 3.) talk about her weird Japanese girl fixation. Gwen, those 4 girls already have names. Re-naming them "Love, Angel, Music, Baby" to plug your clothing line and album is just superfluous.

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you." - Maya Angelou
Updated On: 2/19/05 at 02:36 PM

K8eeyore
#59Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/19/05 at 8:42pm

Hands down, Disco Sweeney. And the first time I heard "Rich Girl", I had to take a couple of minutes to make sure I had heard right and I wasn't going insane. What idiot thought THAT would make a catchy hip-hop song?

In the American Idol vein, that guy who dressed completely in purple and sang "Tomorrow" (holding the last note for three hours) was pretty much the worst -- though I did admire his lung capacity. . .

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#60Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/19/05 at 9:11pm

Not really a cover, but when Ruben Studdard sang You'll Never Walk Alone. AWFUL

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

YankeeMate Profile Photo
YankeeMate
#61Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/7/05 at 11:58pm

I'll try to list some disco/dance versions that haven't already been mentioned. Some good, some bad...

Linda Clifford - If They Could See Me Now
Gloria Jones - I Could Have Danced All Night
Karen Mulder - I Am What I Am
Donna Summer - Someday (in fact, everything on the Mouse House Dance Mixes CD)
Grace Jones - What I Did For Love/Send In the Clowns/Tomorrow
Robey - One Night In Bangkok
Boyzone/Paradox/Tony Carnegie - No Matter What
Madonna - Evita (all cuts)
Scherrie Payne - One Night Only
Deborah Cox - Easy As Life
Elton/Leann - Written In The Stars (Vasquez Mixes)
Pet Shop Boys - Somewhere
Steps - I Know Him So Well
Charlotte (Church) - Tonight
Careca - You'll Never Walk Alone (truly terrible!)
Norma Lewis - Maybe This Time

There's tons more, i'm sure. Also, a couple years ago there were some "unique" mixes of The Trolly Song that placed Judy's voice over some dance elements. Must be heard to be believed!

phantom_tenor Profile Photo
phantom_tenor
#62Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/8/05 at 12:46am

"You're exactly right, Timmerbo. The version of Phantom widely credited to Blink 182 is really the fantastic Me First and the Gimme Gimmes."

Really? Cause the guy singing sounds exactly like the guy from Blink 182. To me, anyway.

And not covers so much as original concepts, i hate the original Sarah Brightman/Steve Harley POTO and the Sarah/Cliff Richard All I Ask of You. PAINFUL!!

And the very creepy Michael Crawford Any Dream Will Do

gretchenrose Profile Photo
gretchenrose
#63Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/8/05 at 1:10am

Me First & The Gimme Gimmes have done "Favorite Things" from SOM, "Phantom of the Opera," "Don't Cry For Me Argentina," and some others!!

http://www.one.org

broadwaybaby654
#64Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/8/05 at 1:57am

please send me any links to broadway techno songs!

apdarcey
#65Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/8/05 at 3:28am

didn't deb cox release easy as life as a club mix?

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#66Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/8/05 at 3:40am

Haha. Yeah. It actually wasn't that bad compared to a lot of other dance music.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#67Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/8/05 at 8:18am

Yes, the Deborah Cox Easy as Life was actually quite good, and I generally hate dance mixes of showtunes. There were some new lyrics, which I heard that Tim Rice wrote specifically for the remix.

Gooch
#68Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:23am

Anything by Me First and the Gimmee Gimmees

Actinggbugg474
#69Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:53am

Not really a cover, but hearing Mandy Moore sing "Adelaide's Lament" on Broadway's Best on Bravo was painful enough, and THEN she sang "Suddenly Seymour" with Adam Pascal ... terrible. It's bad enough to sing the song in head voice, but it's even WORSE when you CRACK when you are singing the song in head voice ... terrible.

Forester Profile Photo
Forester
#70Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/8/05 at 12:09pm

Queen covered Big Spender. It was really good.

YankeeMate Profile Photo
YankeeMate
#71Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:09pm

I forgot Lora Monro did a few euro/techno "Sound Of Music" covers in her best Julie impersonation: My Favorite Things, Do Re Mi, Supercalifragelisticexpialidocious and Tomorrow from Annie.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#72Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:15pm

OH MY GAWD!

I started laughing my brains out when I heard Katie Holmes' recording! Whenever I have doubt in my singing ability, I'll listen to this recording. Holy cow. This is unreal.

This is my signature.

Forester Profile Photo
Forester
#73Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:22pm

Me being a dummy, I decided to download Katie Holme's version of On My Own. Now I must go and shoot myself in the head so I can get rid of that annoying voice out of my head.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#74Showtune Covers
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:59pm

It sounds so creepy. Mandy is a siren compared to Katie Holmes. HOOooollyy cow. Mandy Moore's wasn't THAT bad....I'm still downloading Suddenly Seymour, but Lament wasn't that bad.

EDIT: Ok...don't like Suddenly Seymour...but probably couldn't do better. Hee hee, her voice cracked. :)

EDIT II: ohemgee, TWICE! :o

This is my signature.
Updated On: 4/19/05 at 04:59 PM

Videos