News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Daniel Davis fired from La Cage- Page 3

Daniel Davis fired from La Cage

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#50re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:17pm

Would Daniel Davis still be eligible for the Tony then? Or would Goulet?

I was very surprised to hear this news. Even so, I'm very curious about Robert Goulet... I mean come on, he's Robert Goulet!

~Steven

GirlfriendFromCanada
#51re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:26pm

Goulet won't even start performances until after the nominations are out.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#52re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:26pm

Updated On: 5/8/15 at 12:26 PM

Feathah Profile Photo
Feathah
#53re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:29pm

Ay yi yi. Robert Goulet? Seriously? Ugh.

"The theater is my life. I live it. I breathe it. I fondle it till it falls asleep." Jack (Will And Grace) http://feathah.blogspot.com

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#54re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:35pm

Well, I've never seen Robert Goulet act and neither do I care to hear him sing. He does not interest me at all. But think he looks a little like a rip from the Birdcage. Actually, if Robin had the chops they should have just asked him.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#55re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:36pm

There's not enough Ritalin in the world to keep Robin Wiliiams in line for eight shows a week.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#56re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:37pm

HAHA

MatureDignity Profile Photo
MatureDignity
#57re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:42pm

Goulet. Wow. As Gavin Creel's father. Goulet.

Goulet.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#58re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:43pm

Goulet sounds like good casting to me. He looks very much like the original star Gene Barry, and is 8 years older now than Barry was when he played the role. Plus, though either good skin care or the wonders of cosmetic surgery, Goulet doesn't look his age. (Remember this is musical theater, where actors are often cast in roles much younger than their real age: e.g. Mary Martin in many younger roles.) Goulet will certainly be a box office draw, as he is much better known than Daniel Davis. I do regret that this will no longer be a production starring two openly gay actors in the leading roles.

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#59re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 12:57pm

re: daniel davis fired from la cage

Updated On: 3/28/05 at 12:57 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#60re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 1:14pm

I had the extreme displeasure of working with Mr. Davis many years ago. He was a monster backstage and it looks as if time has done nothing to mellow his mood.

Frankly, I was wondering how long he would keep the job. He was canned much early than I was predicting.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#61re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 1:25pm

Dollypop: I don't know how recently you've seen Mr Goulet but he not only has suffered from massive memory lapses in the past decade or so and would need major teleprompter support but he has NO voice left.

I also think it is a bit unrealistic to think that Mr Goulet (who is a LOT older than Beach and could not be made to look younger with makeup) would necessarily be believable as Beach's partner.

I also find his acting style plastic and don't think it will do anything to make the relationship seem real to most audience members. We can't find ANYONE else to play this role? Give me a break.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#62re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 1:25pm

Updated On: 5/8/15 at 01:25 PM

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#63re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 1:26pm

And he was so great in the role...

And very nice at the stage door!

Updated On: 3/28/05 at 01:26 PM

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#64re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 2:18pm

Goulet still sounded great as the singing voice of Wheezy the Penguin!

"Gif me the cobra jool!"
Updated On: 3/28/05 at 02:18 PM

Dollypop
#65re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 2:18pm

I'm goingto guess that I saw THE HAPPY TIME in the 70's. The tour of I DO I DO! (With Carol Lawrence) was shortly after that.

I'm going to clearly state that his performances in those shows live in my deares memories. I'm not sure what time has done to Goulet, but 'way back when, he was absolutely terrific.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#66re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 2:24pm

C'est Magnifique!

PEACE.

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#67re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 2:27pm

He looks like Old-Man-Phantom of the Opera.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#68re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 2:30pm

The Happy Time was in 1968.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#69re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 2:31pm

When was the Happy Hour?

PEACE.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#70re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 2:33pm

Every hour is Happy Hour!

*hic*

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#71re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 2:36pm

After looking at the posted pic... I bet his breath smells like Brandy or Scotch.

broadwaynut20
#72re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 2:45pm

I don't know who Daniel Davis thinks he is. He will be forever known as "Niles from the Nanny." He is not that big of a star to treat his cast memebers like that. Personally at this point he doesn't even deserve a tony nomination. From the oh f*** this and walking off the stage to what led to his firing. I assume this piece of garbage is out of the running.

Plum
#73re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 2:53pm

Catty, catty. re: daniel davis fired from la cage

I only know Robert Goulet from Will Ferrell's SNL impression, and that doesn't bode well. :P But anyway, there's no way he can be eligible for the Tony. Even if the producers tried to get him nominated like in the Larry Kert case, he's coming in way too late.

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#74re: daniel davis fired from la cage
Posted: 3/28/05 at 3:12pm

Firstly, I think Goulet will be amazing. Certainly the most gorgeous voiced Georges ever to play on Broadway in La Cage.

Secondly, how seemingly vicious of the producers of this production to let it be so publicly known that Mr. Davis was "let go." There are many professions where it is certainly understood that you do not refer to a professional as having been terminated from employment.

I suspect Daniel Davis did something to greatly anger whomever had the final power of what the "press release said." Sadly, it makes the whole "La Cage" family seem kind of unclassy that they released the news of Mr. Davis' severance with the production with the wording they chose.

LA CAGE AUX FOLLES should have taken the high road and announced that "Mr. Davis had suddenly left the production due to unforeseen opportunities and being that he did such a wonderful job, they were cheering his opportunity and hoping for his return to the production in the future."

Again, it simply would have been classier. It isn't good for this show or Mr. Davis or the profession in general to display dirty laundry in public.

Regardless of what Daniel Davis may have done, the "producers" did themselves and the theater in general no favor by delivering the news of Mr. Davis' departure in the fashion they chose.

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."
Updated On: 3/28/05 at 03:12 PM

Videos