WORST- A Chorus Line

and I am not a big fan of Fiddler

I am not Tony winner Dan Fogler.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#52re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 12:02am

best:
damn yankees (we'll let the f-ing chair song slide) ETA: interesting note about the odd pauses in the choreography for "a little brains, a little talent" were because ath the time it was illegal to but pelvic thrusts on film so wherever there was one in the choreography verdon stood still (thanks imdb.com)
chicago
phantom (well.....other than the title role)

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
Updated On: 8/23/05 at 12:02 AM

theatrebabe
#53re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 12:03am

Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Forrum was aweful

"While some feel it is a film related question, I seem to think it may be a 'I am thinking of losing my winkie' sort of question."
-cheezedoodle

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#54re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 12:24am

An American in Paris &
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers...

not on anyone's "Best" list yet, so I'll throw them in...as well as the

Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movies &
the Busby Berkeley extrravaganzas of the 1930s.

Does Waiting for Guffman and A Mighty Wind qualify as musicals? Because I find them both hilarious, especially Guffman.

I also love White Christmas even though it has an incredibly flimsy and unbelievable story line. I cry every Christmas as I decorate the tree or wrap presents while watching it! I'm such a dork.

There are so many "Worst" movie musicals. I don't even want to go there.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

way_to_spend_the_day Profile Photo
way_to_spend_the_day
#55re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 1:05am

Best
-Cabaret
-Chicago
-A Chorus Line
-Evita
-Grease
-Music Man
-My Fair Lady
-The Sound of Music
-The King and I
-West Side Story

Worst
-Joseph....Dreamcoat
-Little Shop of Horrors
-Bye Bye Birdie
-Oliver

--I still havent' decided about Phantom...

***It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves. -- William Shakespeare***

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#56re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 2:32am

Best:
Chicago - great cast ( I think ) and great direction. Plus it's a beautiful movie. I was completely satisfied with the cuts from the show and felt like it didn't detract from anything

Reefer Madness - So entertaining. Though I'm not really familiar with the stage version, the movie is just so funny and well written and the songs written for it are beautiful!

Little Shop of Horrors - Again, just a perfect mixture of cast and direction that makes it good.

Worst:
Jesus Christ Superstar - All I can say is "Wtf?"

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#57re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 2:53am

Best:
Chicago
Phantom (could have been better, but was very well done)
Evita

Worst:
All the 50's musicals. I love them on-stage, but the movies just make me want to scream

A Chorus Line - I was just too dated in the 80's. The stage show seemed to survive being totaly dated. Plus, Paul (who changes his name because he looks more italian than puerto rican) looks really Puerto Rican. Anyone know where the script was during casting?

wickedkiwi Profile Photo
wickedkiwi
#58re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 3:10am

BEST:

kiss me, kate (the old version, not the hideously long stage version taped by pbs)

WORST:

grease 2 -- what the HELL where they thinking?

Tenme por lo que soy, por lo que puedo ser, y si te importo hoy, tenme nena, o vete!

AngusN
#59re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 6:16am

One that you have all missed off the Worst List, has to be

'A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC'. It is awful.

How could they make such a mess of a great musical? Elizabeth Taylor is dreadful, and I'm surprised she ever worked again!

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#60re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 8:30am

Actually,WonderBoy, I agree! I liked Evita.

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#61re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 10:04am

I had it on my list, Angus.

One musical that I always really liked that never gets talked about is Going Hollywood with Bing Crosby and Marion Davies.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Mahatma Kane Jeeves
#62re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 10:52am

BEST
West Side Story
The Music Man
The Sound Of Music
Oliver!

WORST
Mame(Ohhhh Lucy, you REALLY have some 'splaining to do; what did ju do with all de money i gave you for singing lessons?!?"
Camelot
Man Of La Mancha
A Chorus Line.

Brush up your Shakespeare, and they'll all kow-tow!

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#63re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 11:20am

i hate the sound of music in any form ... but it was a good screen translation of it.

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#64re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 11:22am

btw was there really a Grease 2 musical??

i always thought it was JUST a movie?

MyDreamsRecurring Profile Photo
MyDreamsRecurring
#65re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 11:48am

Best: Chicago, hopefully Rent

Worst: South Pacific..ooh god its so bad

"No two shows are alike in the making. Each show is a living piece of your life in a small unreal world with its own character and integrity; its own new set of memorable experiences and incredible happenings. You begin to love and adapt to its strangeness. Dreams harden into substance. Values come into focus. You wish it would never end. The dream world vanishes like mist before a rising sun; part of you vanishes with it. And back you land in the real world with a thud- fogged, uneasy, jittery, difficult to get along with. There is only one cure. A new show. A new, small unreal world; new visions, experiences, incredible happenings. Again you love it, adapt to it, wish it would never end. But end it does. Another part of you vanishes. That's show business."-Anonymous

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#66re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 12:12pm

Best:
Chicago
Cabaret
A Chorus Line (I have NEVER seen the stage show, that maybe why, but why the loathe about the film? I feel inspired by the film! It's quite gd and I seem to be the only one)
Cinderella

Worst:
Annie (the remake, its not the cast, its just I have watched Cinderella rite be4 and it's just too DIsney and Rob Marshall to me! hehe)

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#67re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 12:24pm

"btw was there really a Grease 2 musical??

i always thought it was JUST a movie?"

I don't know if it's ever been on stage, but the first post didn't say they all had to be musicals based on stage musicals.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#68re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 1:35pm

I am so hoping RENT is good! But of course it will be good! And CHICAGO was excellent!I also like PHANTOM, although there were quite a few changes.WEST SIDE STORY is another good one.

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#69re: Best/Worst Musical Movies
Posted: 8/23/05 at 2:37pm

Best--Oliver!

captured perfectly. actually improved from the original stage work. the recent revival took a lot from the film.

Worst--Brigadoon.

ooh, that one is just terrible. Looks like the budget was about five dollars at most.
Updated On: 8/23/05 at 02:37 PM

Videos