pixeltracker

It's time for Chicago to go- Page 3

It's time for Chicago to go

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#50re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 10:34am

GYPSY, I saw Brooke in the role, and while she's certainly not the best Roxie I've seen, she's as good as other Broadway professionals I've seen in lead roles. I didn't think Luba Mason was so great as a triple threat and she's not a name, so there you go.

As has already been said here, after 10 years, CHICAGO is still fresh and exciting and the ensemble is still one of the best on Broadway. Some of the Weisslers stunt casting has been stupid, but for the most part, it's been fine, and has been what's needed to keep the show going. And CHICAGO's success is about the show, not about spectacle, and that in itself is to be applauded in this day and age.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#51re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 10:47am

Well, just the fact that you can strip it down to the bare bones (e.g., no set, orchestra on stage, black costumes, chairs onstage) and it's a success shows you how important the material is. It also shows you how amazing Ann Reinking's work is.

". . . POP . . ."

Thesbijean
#52re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 10:51am

Show's you how AMAZING Bob Fosse's work is as well...

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#53re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 11:00am

It's classy,
It's elegant,
It's razor sharp.
It's here to stay....at least for a few more years. re: It's time for Chicago to go

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

bwayondabrain
#54re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 11:43am

"Well, just the fact that you can strip it down to the bare bones (e.g., no set, orchestra on stage, black costumes, chairs onstage) and it's a success shows you how important the material is."

that's a really good point! i mean, so many shows today (such as WICKED or THE LION KING) are huge spectacles meant to attract tourists, and families, while still showing a story. But CHICAGO being able to be a small, darker show but still attract tourists for like 10 years is pretty good!
so yeah, nice point, Hanna...

:)

lovinlife Profile Photo
lovinlife
#55re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 11:54am

I recently saw the show for my 10+ time. I had reservations because the last time I saw it was with Melanie G. HOWEVER, I was pleasently suprised at how fresh it was and how much I love the current ensemble. I remember when this opened how amazing some of the cast was and it just seemed like every ensemble member was perfect- looking and performance wise!! I think, as a dancer, we are lucky to still have a great show to see.

"All I want is the truth, just give me some truth!"- J. Lennon

bwayondabrain
#56re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 12:01pm

who was in it?
im getting all confused with the cast changes...
was it john o'hurley and brenda braxton or something?
im glad to hear you enjoyed yourself for the 10th time! (once a year, huh? :) )

lovinlife Profile Photo
lovinlife
#57re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 12:06pm

It was with Charlotte and Brenda. I liked the fact that Solange Sandy was in the ensemble and there was a really great girl that was formerly in The Producers. They both gave me an authentic Fosse ensemble member feel. I had seen it like five times within the opening two ot three years. Then whenever I really cant figure out what to see, I'll go with Chicago. Sometimes, I have hated it. Not the last time though. And the boys were actually sexy too!!

CJR
#58re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 12:13pm

I recently saw the show for my 10+ time

Wow.... I remember when I was excited to hit 10 times......

Those were the days lol

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

bwayondabrain
#59re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 12:13pm

that's great you got to see Charlotte!
She is going to be fabulous in A CHORUS LINE!

but that is a whole other subject...

:)

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#60re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 12:27pm

While we're on the subject of casting, has anyone seen Lillias as Mama. I heard she was quite a mess for her first few nights.

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#61re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 12:43pm

it shud NOT go! It's like the only gd Fosse production left in Broadway/Westend! And I am happy with alot of the stunt casting! The only one I hated was Brooke Shields, but to be fair, she still wasnt as bad as Frances Ruffelle! But I am just speaking for the Ldn show... since it's already in a state of moving theatres, I REALLY hope that they can hold on to the Broadway production! Cuz it have always seemed to me that the show have never stopped shining!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

Dollypop
#62re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:44pm

I'm still waiting for Richard Chamberlain's long-promised stint as Billy Flynn.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#63re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:53pm

Yea, it's definitely not time for CHICAGO to go. Yes, it is the show with the most "stunt casting", but really, when you look at everyone that's played these roles - from Melanie Griffith to Billy Zane and Kevin Richardson - how many of them were flat out bad? One? Maybe two? CHICAGO has surprised me over and over again with how fresh the show remains - it absolutely deserves to still be running.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CJR
#64re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:33pm

Actually, the only downright horrid stunt casting Ive ever wittnessed in Chicago was Griffith and Sheilds. Well and Lou Gosset Jr. But he doesnt count because he left the show before he really even began.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#65re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:37pm

How many performances did Gosset do? I don't even remember hearing about him being cast!

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#66re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:39pm

Gossett did 4 performances.

CJR, I thought you said you didn't see Brooke.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#67re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:42pm

Yeah, CJR. I know you HATED Brooke in GREASE.

But I also thought you missed her in CHICAGO, because you said the last time you saw the show was when Roxane left - and that was last Spring.

SorryGrateful
#68re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:43pm

*double-takes*

I'm sorry, did I read Lou Gossett Jr.? WTF?

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

lisa902652
#69re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:51pm

It is getting a little Old!

fossemoves
#70re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:06pm

Let's see...the show makes money because it takes so little and people like it. it had a hit film that makes people interested in it and it has yet to get stale despite it's long run. I'm saying keep it.

As for Stunt casting - it works.

I'd like to see Joesph Mcyentire do Billy.

While we're at it, Idina Menzel as Velma Kelly and Kristen Chenoweth as Roxie Hart!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#71re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:12pm

There is no way in hell Idina would ever be able to dance the role of Velma Kelly - which is one of the most demanding female dance roles in history.

Kristin as Roxie - I always wanted to see. It would work. Roxie's choreography isn't very difficult. Plus her biggest dance number "Me And My Baby" - has three choreographed versions from easy to hard. Kristin could handle the level 1 version.

And I most certainly agree that Brooke's Roxie was easily as good as some professional Broadway female's Roxie. Brooke had one of the most unique and outrageous Roxie monolouges ever. It will be hard to top how creative she was with it. Updated On: 2/16/06 at 04:12 PM

CJR
#72re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:36pm

I saw Brooke's press reel.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#73re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:42pm

Chicago is more relevent than ever!
In my opinion the more fuc.ked up the govn't gets, the more relevent the show is to society.

lovinlife Profile Photo
lovinlife
#74re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:44pm

AMEN!!!!

Videos