pixeltracker

Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!- Page 3

Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

neddyfrank2
#50re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:45pm

Insomniak...if you were applying that you missed Company, it did not close yet, it is playing until the 14th, so you still have time.

C is for Company
#51re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:49pm

Did anyone here see the revival for Roundabout?

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#52re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:50pm

nope- would have loved to though. I have actually never seen this show live before. I have the recording though. I am soooo excited to see it!

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

C is for Company
#53re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:54pm

Same here. I still haven't gotten around to the revival recording which I probably should do for Charlotte and LaChanze

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#54re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:54pm

I saw the original National Tour - George Chakiris, Julie Wilson, Donna McKechnie and Tandy Cronin at Dade County Auditorium many, many moons ago.

xoxo's to the beautiful Emcee!

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#55re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 10:00pm

I saw the Roundabout production and it was pretty underwhelming. Very unimaginitve staging. I remember thinking Jane Krakowski as April was the standout, though a lot of people really loved Veanne Cox as Amy. Boyd Gaines was supposedly good as Bobby for the three performances he gave when he was in good voice (he was ill for most of the run). Debra Monk was IMO a disaster. By the look of the televised performance, Sam Mende's production at the Donmar in London, though not as well sung, was vastly superior.

I've also seen the video at Lincoln Center of the tour Glebb speaks of and thought it was pretty impressive. Julie Wilson is no Elaine Strich but she made the role effectively her own.
Updated On: 4/6/06 at 10:00 PM

DiamondGirl
#56re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 10:22pm

I'm just hoping for Raul and a cast recording.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#57re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 10:30pm

Why was Debra Monk a disaster?

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#58re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 10:30pm

Will Broadway turn into a low budget world of theatre with few actors and no orchestrations?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#59re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 10:34pm

Yes muscle it will - right after COMPANY they are going to close PHANTOM and SPAMALOT so that they can hire actors who can play at the same time and wear the backdrop as their costumes to avoid a set budget.

Debra Monk is no more a Park Avenue lady who lunches than Roseanne Barr. Plus her singing (screaming) of the song was just unbearable. She was Sondheim's choice, but as we've learned from the last Broadway production of FOLLIES (also his hand picked cast) Sondheim apparently isn't always the best judge of performers of his work.

C is for Company
#60re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 10:35pm

I doubt it, but if so, good for them. They can actually turn profits for once and perhaps make things a more simpler structure that allows for good sotrytelling instead of in-your-face special effects race to see who can make someone fly higher than the last.

I feel that by breaking it down into a simple 10 person cast or so would get rid of many unnecessary intricacies that sometimes distract audiences from the sheer storytelling aspect taht a show can bring to you.

I don't mean to take an opinion on either side, for I am a fan of big, extravagant shows as much as I may be for very small and intimate shows. Either way is fine by me, it depends upon the end result and how well crafted it is overall.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#61re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 10:37pm

re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway! I liked the last production of FOLLIES but the only other production I've ever seen was the London - Julia McKenzie, Diana Rigg version.

Listening to the concert right now. So good!

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#62re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 10:46pm

Michael Bennet - That reply just made my life worth living.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

RentBoy86
#63re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 10:55pm

I can't see Sweeney running much longer w/o Patti and Michael in it. It seems like this show was tailor made for this cast, so it will def. be hard if they all start spraticly leaving the show. How does it work with understudies? Do the understudies all play the same instruments? What a complicated process.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#64re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:15pm

This makes my day..
I'm rehearsing Company right now, and am falling in love with it's brilliance. I can't wait to see this production. re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#65re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:36pm

I'm so excited. I was a bit bummed that I only got to see it once while I was out in Cincy (4pm matinees?!) but between ACL and this, I'm going to be in NYC very often this fall and biting my nails when it comes to the best rivival Tony. re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Madhatter Profile Photo
Madhatter
#66re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:40pm

I can't wait to see this. I didn't get to see it in Cincinatti, but have a much better chance of seeing it now!! My day is a bit happier now.

Marguerite Chauvelin
#67re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 11:47pm

I just saw it at Playhouse in Cinci. It was AMAZING, the whole cast and staging is beautiful. And now I get to see Sweeney in two weeks!

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#68re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 12:27am

Praise the Lord for Raul Esparza. This man makes my life. And finally he is getting the recognition he deserves.

"Debra Monk is no more a Park Avenue lady who lunches than Roseanne Barr."

Ouch.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#69re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 12:49am

I am SO excited for this!!

Color and Light
#70re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 1:02am

Wow, this just made my week, especially after doing tech work for a horrendous production of Jekyll and Hyde all night.

Stop looking at my charisma.

Ebonic_Singer
#71re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 1:13am

I really cannot see Raul in the role. I'll just have to see it for myself!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#72re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 2:12am

I want Broadway theatre to be fabulous and amazing.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

sicetergo
#73re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 5:49am

That's great news. I saw John Doyle (and Jerry Herman)last night at Mack & Mabel and he was looking very happy as he has every right to. Mack & Mabel was overwhelmingly excellent and by far the best version I've seen. So good I turned round and bought another ticket - not something I would generally do with a Jerry Herman show. I hope you get the chance to see this in the States just as much as I'm really looking forward to see Company.

RYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
#74re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 6:45am

Oh MY God! I was there too! I saw Jerry Herman too! What a guy - and he loves the new Mack and Mabel revival - and so did i - it was superb. Stunning. A wonderful cast with so much energy.

I cant wait to see COMPANY when i could over to broadway at the end of November.

I cannot see them taking off Sweeney for it - its doing really well - and if Patti extends I'd say it got another year left of Broadway at least.

Videos