Patti or LaChanze?

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#50re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 6:32pm

LaChanze !!! Like Patti, but honestly, (and this is obviously only my own humble opinion), I dont think you can even compare Patti's work in "ST" to LaChanze's in "TCP"

:::::: ducking :::::::

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#51re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 6:38pm

Well, no you can't, Testing. Apples and oranges, people act with different styles, directions, motivations. So you're right, you can't really compare Patti's work to LaChanze's or even to Chita's.

~Steven

SeptemberKel
#52re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 6:52pm

Very well say Mr.Music!!!!!!!

"Of course there is the castle - the ruined castle. I find it lovely. Probably because it's ruined, I suppose." - Passion

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#53re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 8:52pm

Agree, Mr. Music... I guess this is the way that I feel... there are AT LEAST two people on the stage with Patti in "ST" that give better performance, in my opinion.

To me, although I love the other ladies in "TCP", LaChanze IS the show.

meggsison
#54re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 9:49pm

LaChanze deserves it.

The course of true love never did run smooth.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#55re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 10:17pm

I can't believe how immature some people are being in this thread. Seriously, how old are we?

I personally hope Patti will win!

And why must people insist on calling her a b*tch? Yes, she has a diva attitude. But she is not a bitch.

And I agree, saying LaChanze should win because she hasn't won before is ridiculous.

#56re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 10:30pm

re: Patti or LaChanze?

CHITA!

30/90 Playout
#57re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 11:09pm

Patti. 100%

catharsis Profile Photo
catharsis
#58re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 6:31am

I'm hoping Patti will get this one, she was spectacular and deserves it.

broadwayboy1939 Profile Photo
broadwayboy1939
#59re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 12:15pm

I saw SWEENEY TODD on broadway, and loved Patti!!! But LaChanze deserves the Tony. It is her time to shine, where Patti has already recieved a Tony. LaChanze I dont think got enough recognition in Once On This Island, and The Color Purple really shows her off now. It is her time because her character has so much emotional depth, and she works hard at it. I hope LaChanze gets it really bad!! But if Patti does, I wouldnt be mad, because she was amazing!

"Sometimes when you dream, your dreams come true..."

Toon
#60re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 12:54pm

LaChanze gave a Tony worthy performance of a character that went on quite a journey. The role required such emotional swings and conveyed so much, and while Patti may have given a good performance LaChanze was able to showcase herself better in Celie. Not to take anything away from Patti's performance but I don't think Patti had to reach very far to potray Mrs. Lovett. Not in the same way LaChanze had to create Celie.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#61re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 1:02pm

The "It's really her year" or "It's really her time to shine" lines really get to me. What the hell? If it's really La Chanze's year, then why didn't she get rave reviews? If it wasn't "Patti's year", then why did Patti get across the board rave reviews - where La Chanze did not?

I don't understand. It's just a stupid, easy excuse to say why you think someone should win.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

SeptemberKel
#62re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 1:43pm

I'm with you 100% munk!! The other lines that get me are "_____ has to work harder than ____." Says WHO? That's your opinion. I also really like "Patti already has a Tony." She won her Tony 27 years ago!!!!! It's not as if she won it last week. Does LaChanze deserve a Tony? Yes! She absolutely does. But, not this year. Not as much as Patti does, in my opinion.

"Of course there is the castle - the ruined castle. I find it lovely. Probably because it's ruined, I suppose." - Passion

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#63re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 1:48pm

Yeah, totally.

I love the people who are like "Well, they already have a Tony, so it's this person's turn." How F-ing lame.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
CurtisTaylorJr2
#64re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 2:42pm

I think LaChanze will, but Patti has an equally good chance. They are the best nominees in the category.

changinandhow Profile Photo
changinandhow
#65re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 2:55pm

OmGz ChItA 4 PrEsIdEnT!!!!!1111!!!

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#66re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 3:07pm

Patti deserved it as much for Evita as she does now. She is better than LaChanze, and gave a much better perfomance.

Praise be to LUPONE!

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#67re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 4:08pm

Well Munk, I'm not saying it's right, but you can't deny that the Tony voters themselves tend to use that argument when voting.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

JustABroadwaybaby2
#68re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/10/06 at 12:03pm

Ok, guys, if you havent' seen the "Meet the Nominees" videos on TonyAwards.com, look at Lachanze's. It is so, so sweet. I'll let her put it into her own words:
http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/interactive/video/index.html scroll down to meet the nominees- Lachanze.
She is so sweet.
But, what if Sutton wins? Why is everyone saying she won't win again? When I saw drowsy, my highlights were Bob Martin, and her!

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

musicman89 Profile Photo
musicman89
#69re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/10/06 at 12:41pm

Foster is definitley one of the highlights of THE DROWSY CHAPERONE, but her role just is not as meaty as most of the others. Plus, many people consider it to be a featured role than leading.

I personally would love to see LaChanze win the Tony, but I would not be suprised or mind if LuPone takes it.

"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." ~ Freddie Mercury

IveGottaBeME
#70re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/10/06 at 1:01pm

LaChanze should win.

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#71re: Patti or LaChanze?
Posted: 6/10/06 at 1:34pm

I'll say it if no one else will:

La Chanze isn't that good. Her material is NOT better than Patti's. It is actually much much worse and La Chanze does not transcend the work as, in my opinion, Elisabeth Withers-Mendes does. I think her line delivery on the CD (yes I did see the show, but didn't find her memorable at all) is at times laughable.

And a director and writer gave LaChanze her material as well. I think she'll be easily replaced. I think Patti, if the show survives past her, will be SORELY missed for the personality and ingenuity she brings to an already well-written character.

Videos