icantbelive
#50re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 10:46pm

Sweet Smell of Success was very catchy

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#51re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 10:48pm

When i went to Bombay Dreams i had the songs stuck in my head for days also.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

TheEnchantedHunter
#52re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 11:13pm

"Honestly... the most catchy of late would be Drowsy Chaperone (regardless of many bitchy opinions I've read on this score). I walked out of the theatre remembering at least 5 or 6 of the melodies."

Because they're all formulaic and banal, with not one measure of distinction in the whole sorry enterprise. You could have hummed the score going IN to the theater.

Winthrop Paroo
River City, Iowa

rosiecabaret
#53re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/29/06 at 11:57pm

Oh man, Cabaret is one of the catchiest scores I've ever heard. When I was in it, I would wake up every morning to Wilkommen haha!

I<3bway Profile Photo
I<3bway
#54re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/30/06 at 12:14am

The Wedding Singer ( I love it to death. Can't stop singing during work!)
A Chorus Line
Dreamgirls
Avenue Q
Wicked
The Last Five Years
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#55re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/30/06 at 12:34am

I would have to go with THE SOUND OF MUSIC, as the catchiest, ever.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#56re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/30/06 at 12:59am

When I think of a catchy score, I tend to think of one that gets my head bobbing a long when I listen to it. So, I don't think of score that have sweep to them as being catchy. Shows like "Phantom" or "Sunday"

Yes, there are a lot of shows here previously mentioned that I would agree do get my head bobbing along as I listen to them. But the first title that leaped to my mind is one from is my beloved flop Kander and Ebb jem, "70, Girls, 70." Why more critics didn't fall over themselves praising that score at the "Encores" revival, I don't know. (Olympia Dukakis couldn't have been that bad, could she?)

And being a great lover of flop musical, the next title that came to my mind was the '50's flop "Whoop-Up!" by Moose Charlap

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

LostLeander
#57re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:11am

Wow, from you just mentioning Rhythm of Life it's stuck in my head, FOREVER.

I actually get things like "No More" from See What I Wanna See, and He Loves and She Loves, and strangely "Blah Blah Me" from Audra's 7 Deadly Sins concert.

"Wait" from Sweeney gets in my head and WON'T leave. And at really random times too.

Actually, you can say basically any word, and it'll spark a showtune from Sondheim to Herman to LaChiusa, Boubil-Schonberg to Guettel and everyone else in between, and that random song that popped into my head will stay for at least 3 days.

Damn my expansive knowledge of Musical Theatre!

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#58re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:12am

It was Off-Broadway, but I've had Violet stuck in my head for almost two whole weeks, now. What's worse is, I haven't been able to buy it yet, so I've just been requesting it over and over again on BWW radio. Notice how it's number 6 on the Top 10 Requests list? Totally my fault.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

NewArgentina
#59re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/30/06 at 10:23am

Anything Goes, 42nd Street and Bye Bye Birdie.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#60re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/30/06 at 11:38am

"You could have hummed the score going IN to the theater."

EnchantedHunter---that is precisely the goal and their creative intent. What I find really formulaic, banal, and with not one measure of distinction are these face-value criticisms wafting around that just don't GET it. Such a shame.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#61re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/30/06 at 12:21pm

Sweet Charity is ridiculously catchy, any time I listen to even a few minutes of it I have it stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Even just typing about it has got it stuck in my head.

And, On the 20th Century. Goodness that show is catchy, especially the title number.

ChrisLK
#62re: Catchiest score ever?
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:15pm

It's definitely not the catchiest overall score, but I couldn't get that main theme from the Prolouge of Into the Woods out of my head forever.

Chorus Line is definitely right up there for me, and Wicked is a little too catchy for it's own good.

"I could use a little... Miracle." ~SWIWS

Videos