pixeltracker

Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?- Page 3

Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#50re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 1:38pm

Raul is, in my opinion, one of the top three-ish male voices on Broadway right now.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#51re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 1:45pm

I agree that Broadway is a place for "unique" voices, and I believe that's why Raul is thriving there.

But Zero Mostel, Carol Channing and Harvey Fierstein didn't try to BE singers. They were personalities.

If Raul is reaching you on that level, then great!

For me, I can't get past his vocal annoyances enough to appreciate the rest.

Maybe he should play Edna, Tevye or Dolly Levi, and then I could deal with it. But I doubt it. Those folks really couldn't sing either... but their voices weren't irritating on a constant basis. It was never about them hitting the high note on a soaring ballad, in other words.

I guess (for me) that's the big difference. I'm irritated by what I hear, so I can't enjoy the rest of what he may have to offer as a performer.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#52re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 1:47pm

That's totally valid. And thank you for being one of the few to respectfully state that.

You should see him in a play if you have the chance, though. re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?

Maybe he should play Edna

And that made me laugh. re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Boq101
#53re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 1:54pm

I think he's not an actress...is that what you mean by actor only?

I mean, you can ramble all you want. I think he's a great singer, and I think he's not the only actor people have decided to beat on because he doesn't sound like some clasical tenor or whatever. I mean seriously, people here have spent the last year trashing Julia Murney, Donna Murphy, Patti Lupone, Daphne Rubin Vega, Idina Menzel, ect. and in the end most of you aren't any better, most of you don't sing shows eight times a week, I mean most of you really have no reason to do that. IMO sitting through a performance where the actor just glides effortlessly through all of the notes without caring of the acting chops would almost never be bashed here, because like the the first poster said, (I paraphase)"I've never seen him perform live"

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#54re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 2:24pm

I have never seen Esparza so I can't comment on his singing. But an earlier poster mentioned a few famous theatre singers who haven't got BEAUTIFUL voices(Bernadette Peters, Patti LuPone, and Ethel Merman) but who have memorable voices, and who really project, interpret, and deliver their songs. I agree.

Ethel Merman was a natural singer, without formal musical training. When she appeared in her Broadway debut,GIRL CRAZY(1930), composer George Gershwin told her on opening night,"Never, but never go near a singing teacher." He recognized her natural, raw talent as unique, and he wanted her to stay that way. Merman was the Gershwins' and Cole Porter's favorite singer--they knew that with her flawless diction and clarion voice, their songs would be heard in the last row of the balcony, before microphones were in use. She held onto that voice with its very limited vibrato through GYPSY(1959-1961). It was only later, during the revival of ANNIE GET YOUR GUN(1966) that an increased vibrato crept into her singing.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#55re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 3:26pm

I sat front row center for Company, and while I noticed some of the veins in his neck I was never scared for him as performer, wondering if the next note would crack from force, I was completly confident in him as a performer. Trust is a major factor of the talent of an actor/singer--without audience trust you can't be in the moment with that actor.

I have seen plenty of performers without a stressed vein in sight that I was scared to death that the next note wasn't coming out.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

ben4
#56re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 3:55pm

I don't think the point of musical theater is to make all vocal performers run their voices through a meat grinder so that they all come out sounding the same.

Just my two cents.

#57re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 5:14pm

I really like his voice and am not bothered by his vibrato at all. I noticed that it was thicker in Company than it usually is on record or live (ie singing Defying Gravity on Seth's Chatterbox).

friedrichVT
#58re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 5:29pm

I think he is an excellent actor who sings. What makes him so memorable is the theatricailty of his voice. Hes not afraid to be over the top acting wise or vocally. He makes for good theatre. He was exciting in ROcky Horror, Heartbreaking AND outrageous both vocally and acting wise in Taboo. His vibrato is different. its rapid. The tone of his voice can be pure one moment, Dark and covered sounding another moment,and then wailing(as he did in taboo and R.H.). His voice is inconsistent,but always interesting,and reaches many emotionally, That's why he works ALL the time. He is walking /talking conflict.He is good theater. You may think he's over the top,over rated ,or brilliant, but ya still talk about him and he's still workin...ALL THE TIME.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#59re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 5:43pm

Amen to working all the time!

Midoria Profile Photo
Midoria
#60re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 10:36pm

I mean seriously, people here have spent the last year trashing Julia Murney, Donna Murphy, Patti Lupone, Daphne Rubin Vega, Idina Menzel, ect. and in the end most of you aren't any better, most of you don't sing shows eight times a week, I mean most of you really have no reason to do that. IMO sitting through a performance where the actor just glides effortlessly through all of the notes without caring of the acting chops would almost never be bashed here, because like the the first poster said, (I paraphase)"I've never seen him perform live"

Preach, Brotha! re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?

"I'm-Not-That-Boring-Low-Ass-Girl?! You better go up at the end!" - Seth Rudetsky to Julia Murney about her Solo CD choice

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#61re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/15/07 at 1:39am

Okee dokee.

People say that the classical training makes the male voices all sound the same. Personally, I find the other type of contemporary Broadway training bad for your overall vocal health and makes all the men sound the same. And women for that matter. I've always found that classical training allows the performer to be more versatile.

When you sing CORRECTLY and on a professoinal level, it should certainly look effortless. Example A: Victoria Clark in The Light in the Piazza. PERFECT technique and she never had to jerk her body or strain her throat or reach into her twang mode to communicate through the song.

Sorry Midoria, but trashing on Donna Murphy, Daphne, and Idina does not mean we think we can do better. By me saying "Idina sounds like she's screaming", that's not me saying I can do better. But they are opinions. I don't like the tone quality of Idina, Daphne, or Donna and that does have something to do with their technique, not just natural talent. And you can glide effortlessly through all the notes and be a great actor. Case in point, anyone who has ever been in challenging vocal shows like The Light in the Piazza.

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

Spacedog78 Profile Photo
Spacedog78
#62re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/15/07 at 9:56am

I personally think that his acting in Company was terribly dull, monotone and unimpressive. In fact, the only part that I realy enjoyed was Being Alive, other than that he was forgettable.

Midoria Profile Photo
Midoria
#63re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/15/07 at 11:56am

"Sorry Midoria, but trashing on Donna Murphy, Daphne, and Idina does not mean we think we can do better."

Actually, that was me quoting Boq. Thus the italics.

"I'm-Not-That-Boring-Low-Ass-Girl?! You better go up at the end!" - Seth Rudetsky to Julia Murney about her Solo CD choice

bwaylvsong
#64re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/15/07 at 12:23pm

I think Esparza is one of the best singer-actors on Broadway. The clip on the bottom of the link (ALW Trio) is vibrato heaven!
ALW Trio with Marin and Carolee

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#65re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 8/15/07 at 12:31pm

Yeah, sorry Midoria. I forgot to change it after our chat chat.

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

AndAllThatJazz22
#66re: Does Any One Else Think Esparza is an actor only?
Posted: 5/31/09 at 8:51am

Hell no Raul Esparza is not just an actor. I think his voice his gorgeous and extremely pleasant to listen to. He sings many different styles of music all very well, Rock (Rocky Horror Show), Sondheim,Pop (Tic Tic Boom). Maybe I am baised, because i just LOVE fast vibrato! bwaylvsong that lip is stunning!!

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

Videos