pixeltracker

Most Overrated of the Season...- Page 3

Most Overrated of the Season...

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#50re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 1:52am

Kelli was absolutely amazing.

shame on those who actually think she's "overrated" . you want to talk about "overrated" ??? look at the entire cast of IN THE HEIGHTS or GYPSY. there you go.

most overrated performer this year... Laura ****in' Benanti. she did not impress me at all. yuck.

let's switch it up -- most underrated BRILLIANCE of the year??

the SITPWG revival. it was a masterpiece. don't care what anyone says.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#51re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 1:56am

Sorry, I can't really respect the opinion of someone who says Kelli O'Hara is brilliant while saying that the performance from IN THE HEIGHTS or GYPSY are not impressive. If O'Hara only had half of Benanti's stage presence and star power, then I might not think she's quite the overrated actress of the season.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#52re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 2:01am

-- "let's switch it up -- most underrated BRILLIANCE of the year?? the SITPWG revival. it was a masterpiece."

100% agreed. Updated On: 5/13/08 at 02:01 AM

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#53re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 2:01am

What the **** is "star power" ???

Laura Benanti does not have star power. I'm not saying Kelli does either... but c'mon. Laura does NOT have "star power" -- whatever the hell that means

perhaps I went a little overboard, suggesting that the entire cast of GYPSY was overrated but the hype surrounding the "stars" of IN THE HEIGHTS is just so ridiculous.

I read so many things about Mandy and Lin and the others and was so excited! I saw it and was so dissapointed. if only they had the same emotional connection and artistic brilliance as the SITPWG stars & ensemble.

They all act like it's an hip hop concert or something. the music might be like that but it's still a Broadway musical!!!

Robin De Jesus was the only one I was a fan of...

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#54re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 2:05am

If O'Hara only had half of Benanti's stage presence and star power, then I might not think she's quite the overrated actress of the season.

Ray, you didn't see the ****ing show!

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#55re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 2:06am

This thread is the most overrated of the season.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#56re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 2:07am

Oh, blaxx, how I love thee.

Amazing as usual. re: Most Overrated of the Season...

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#57re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 2:08am

Higgins - thanks. I agree with your agreement. re: Most Overrated of the Season...

Ray - did you seriously not see the show?? How dare you judge Kelli before seeing her.

Blaxx - I agree! this thread makes me so pissed though.. don't pass judgement on a show until you have SEEN it, people.

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#58re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 2:08am

Blaxx, now that I can agree on and I didn't even see the clips! re: Most Overrated of the Season...

-best12bars

-skibumb5290

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#59re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 2:10am

I merely overreacted to TooDarnHot's comments criticizing the GYPSY/IN THE HEIGHTS cast. And please, like I'm the first idiot to judge a show before seeing it, I clearly stated that I was judging O'Hara's bland-ess from clips I had caught.
Plus, even if she is not "overrated" for SOUTH PACIFIC, I still find her to be an incredibly overrated performer in general from her solo recording to her performances (outside of LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#60re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 2:11am

TheActr - do I win a prize for having the most "pointless, worthless" posts tonight? according to you... since you're really rackin' up on some relevant masterpieces here.

re: Most Overrated of the Season...

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#61re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 2:25am

shame on those who actually think she's "overrated" . you want to talk about "overrated" ??? look at the entire cast of IN THE HEIGHTS or GYPSY. there you go.

The entire cast? Really, kiddo?

-best12bars

-skibumb5290

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#62re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 2:57am

Kiddo?

Honey. Unless you're talking to my two beautiful children, you're calling the wrong person "kiddo"

p.s. - I thought about it... the most UNDERRATED performer of this season? Jackie Hoffman. back me up on this one, Midnight Radio Updated On: 5/13/08 at 02:57 AM

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#63re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 3:02am

Next to Normal, and even though I loved this show, I gotta say In The Heights.

Passing Strange is the ****.

Bwayfan4
#64re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 3:17am

I think the most overrated show is August: Osage County...everyone raved about it. I thought it was okay but not this "masterpiece" that everyone made it out to be. But that's just me...

A Director
#65re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 3:41am

They all act like it's an hip hop concert or something. the music might be like that but it's still a Broadway musical!!!

Does this mean ITH doesn't meet the musical comedy queen standards?

Most overrated of the season, August: Osage County and LuPoneGypsy!

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#66re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 6:46am

The praise over South Pacific and Paolo Szot's performance in particular baffles me. I actually left the show thinking he was the weakest link in the show, and probably why the production as a whole did not work for me.

Although August: Osage County was an enjoyable evening, I still think it's terribly overrated. Certainly not without it's flaws, and not really saying anything new.

In the heights, in particularly it's score, left me completely cold. Saw it twice (off- and on-broadway) and still can't remember a single song.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#67re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 6:56am

I agree with the OP's statements (though I'd spell performance correctly). And yes, I've seen them.

I also agree with the underratedness of SITPWG. Finally saw this one on Saturday and was completely enthralled. Absolutely beautiful.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#68re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 7:34am

How can anyone criticize GYPSY's orchestrations? They are the same brilliant orchestrations by Sid Ramin and Robert Ginzler that have been used in every Broadway production of GYPSY, starting with the original. Jule Styne even got tall stools for the brass section so they could be heard better(that was before the miking of pit orchestras).

As for Laura Bernanti, as good as her predecessors were, I found her interpretation of Louise to be the most compelling of any of them, and I have seen them all, starting with the beautiful Sandra Church who Jule Styne dated during the show's run.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

NDR
#69re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 8:21am

Most overrated:
- Patti in Gypsy
- Xanadu
- Young Frankenstein
- In the Heights

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#70re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 8:24am

'Xanadu' by far! Rubbish! Should have closed ages ago.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

Roscoe
#71re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 9:19am

Most Overrated Musical: PASSING STRANGE -- Boring mass of cliches with a We're Too Cool For Musical Theatre attitude.

Most Overrated Play: ROCK AND ROLL -- might be a good play, hard to tell in that excruciating production.

Most Overrated Revival: SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE -- more accurately entitled SUNDAY IN THE FRIDGE WITH GEORGE, from the Reduced Sondheim Company.

Most Overrated Performances: Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell in SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE. He's a chipmunk, she's one of the maids in MARY POPPINS. Really dreadful.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Trekkie2
#72re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 9:39am

Young Frankenstein- It came in with the attitude of "We're as good as The Producers! Buy $600 tickets and we'll show you!" Though, I'll say it again, it's not as bad as Cry-Baby.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#73re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 10:07am

I cannot say for sure since the most important award hasn't been presented yet. But if South Pacific beat Sunday in any Best Revival, Best Director, Best Scene Design, Best Light Design, Best Leading Actor and Actress, any one or more than one categories, I should say South Pacific is overrated.

I love South Pacific and I think it is wonderful. But Sunday in the Park with George Revival is brilliant, original and ,let's say, ground breaking.

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#74re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 10:12am

A Catered Affair - awful

Xanadu - not as good as people say (only in my opinion though). A fun show but nothing special.

Videos