pixeltracker

Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel- Page 3

Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#50re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/24/08 at 1:08pm

OMG SUELEEN. That was the funniest thing ever!
Good Morning Balls. HA.

I kind of like Edna's Mother as Harvey in the film. Harvey could nag Edna (John Travolta into being more campy!)

Harvey as GRANDMA EDNA TURNBLAD-re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#51re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/24/08 at 2:48pm

AW Marc!

I'm actually excited.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#52re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/24/08 at 4:21pm

I would love Harvey to play Grandma, could be very interesting.

noodles2
#53re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/24/08 at 4:53pm

no no no no no, this is a terrible idea! leave it alone! I understand the money is really good but is it worth it? This is nuts! Marc, you need to stop this from happening!

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#54re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/24/08 at 5:56pm

Hairspray 2: Substance Abuse

or

Hairspray 2: Tracy Goes To Fat Camp

or

Hairspray 2: Velma Still Isn't Getting Any

or

Hairspray 2: Once You Go Black, You'll Have To Wait Till The Sequel To See If Penny Goes Back

either one, i'd go see them all.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#55re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/24/08 at 6:08pm

Hairspray 2: Velma's joins the KKK.

or

Hairspray 2: Velma goes to rehab and kills a large group people

or everyone's favorite

Hairspray 2: Electric Boogaloo!!
Updated On: 7/24/08 at 06:08 PM

Angel of Music2 Profile Photo
Angel of Music2
#56re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/24/08 at 10:22pm

I'm not really liking this idea. Is it too late to say no?!

Well, if they do, I'll only drop dead in excitement if they had the OBC. Wouldn't that be the greatest?! The fact that they would be totally the wrong age doesn't matter to me, really.

Okay, fine. Unrealistic. But atleast give them a cameo! I mean c'mon. Without them, there may not even BE a Hairspray fan base. They're the ones who kicked it off. The original movie actors got cameos. Why can't the OBC who really made if famous?

And singing part of MIABGN only during the credits don't count!

But Mandi Moo has a good idea. Why not have the story revolve around the Pingletons!! But Amanda Bynes should get a little better voice being compared to Kerry Butler. ^-^

I kinda want leg warmers and rollerskates now.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#57re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/25/08 at 2:44pm

I'm not against it if they keep Tracy as an activist. There was so much going on after Hairspray's time that it could evolve. People grow-up. For some insane reason though, I'm seeing, "Harper Valley PTA" here? It's already been done. I too want to read what they are thinking about before getting too uncomfortable with the idea yet.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#58re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/25/08 at 2:54pm

Hopefully if this happens - Travolta will be replaced.

It's interesting that Harvey mentions how he felt about being replaced in the article about Estelle in the Post

"Estelle was dealt another blow four years later when she wasn't cast in the film version of "Torch Song." Although we never discussed it directly, I knew how much that hurt her. (Recently, I've come to know exactly how she felt - know what I mean?)"

It really is too bad they felt they had to go with a name (though the name Travolta didn't help one bit) because he was the only bad thing about the movie.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#59re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/25/08 at 3:13pm

His name helped ALOT

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#60re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/25/08 at 3:44pm

I liked Travolta.

Anyway, I really want to know what the story could be before I dismiss this (heck, I doubt I could ever.. I'm such a hairspray/Shaiman fan that I doubt I could ever hate this).

The fact that most of the previous crew seem to be involved it a huge plus. Shankman is so passionate about these characters that I know he'll deliver the good (That goes for choreography too). And I don't think Marc and Scott could ever write a song that I hate!

It just all depends on the cast. It really needs to get everyone back. The first one was a success and I doubt that success would be replicated with an entirely different cast. No recasts please. re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#61re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/25/08 at 3:57pm

If they're using the same cast (ugh, Travolta) then the story would still be taking place around the same time as the first movie. They can't move it too far ahead if they're using Zac, Brittany, Nikki and Amanda.

I wonder if the movie is a success they might mount a stage production of the sequel. It's such an odd decision to make a sequel of a movie that was based on a broadway show that was based on a movie but I guess it will be interesting to see what kind of story they make when they're not relying on earlier incarnations.

Updated On: 7/25/08 at 03:57 PM

thevolleyballer
#62re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/25/08 at 4:21pm

Tracy going to fat camp would be amazing for me. Ahh.

I think all of BWW should get together and write lyrics to one song. Just one. And we'll put our hearts and souls into it, and we'll fight and we'll bicker and be BWW bitches. And it can be in the movie. And then nobody will think it 'sucks ass.'

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#63re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/25/08 at 4:51pm

I LOVE the Fat Camp idea as well.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#64re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/25/08 at 5:02pm

I don't really see why they would send her to fat camp when part of the message of Hairspray in general would be to accept and love who you are.

Upon further thought I can imagine them having the group being involved in the civil rights/women's lib/Vietnam era. Thankfully there are so many stories that could come from that era, the difficulty would be setting it apart from the many other movies set in that time.

It'll be interesting to see them differentiate from Across the Universe and err more on the side of positivity in that crazy time.

thinton
#65re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/26/08 at 2:27pm

Marc,

Hairspray is one of my favorite movies of all time, so I'm very excited that a sequel may happen and that all of you who were involved with the first movie will be back. The only thing I worry about is the possibility of having to replace any of the original cast. Do you know when New Line is looking to start signing contracts with the actors?

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#66re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/26/08 at 6:09pm

I'm assuming they will sign the contracts when it's past the idea stage.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#67re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/26/08 at 7:46pm

Yeah, the treatment hasn't even been written yet. I'm sure they're probably going to wait until they at least have a first draft of the screenplay before they even start to think about casting.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

shardasmal Profile Photo
shardasmal
#68re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/28/08 at 4:51am

Hi friends!

Marc, please do it!

I cross fingers!!!

All the best
Marc Shaiman´s fanpage

Marc Shaiman - Film Music Composer http://www.marcshaiman.net

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#69re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 7/29/08 at 7:11pm

I think Link's dad should be the "villain" and he should be played by John Travolta. :p

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#70re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 11/27/08 at 10:46am

Poof up your pompadours and put on your dancing shoes: Last year's musical hit Hairspray is one bop closer toward a sequel. "We just got an outline and some ideas from John Waters, and now we're going out to writers," director Adam Shankman tells EW exclusively. The story will follow Tracy Turnblad (Nikki Blonsky) and her pals as they navigate the "next era of music," the late '60s. "That period was superpolitical," Shankman adds, "it was a time of serious change." No kidding: According to the filmmaker, heartthrob Link (Zac Efron) will channel his inner Austin Powers and become steeped in the British Invasion. "We're trying to track, in a comedic way, the historical elements."

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/11/hairspray-seque.html?xid=rss-hollywoodinsider-Adam%20Shankman%20talks%20%27Hairspray%27%20sequel

I'm so excited!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#71re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 11/27/08 at 11:12am

I love how they're already attaching the actor's names to this. John Travolta has already stated he isn't doing the sequel, and if they're following tradition... a 'new' unknown actress has to play Tracy in this (like in the three GIDGET films -- a new actress played the role in each film).

This one most likely will be a straight-to-DVD production, like those ANNIE sequels, etc.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#73re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 11/27/08 at 11:20am

It sounds like Hair + Austin Powers + Good Times + Across the Universe! Count me in!

PEACE.

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#74re: Shaiman, Wittman, and Waters to write HAIRSPRAY film sequel
Posted: 11/27/08 at 11:30am

That idea does actually sound quite interesting.

They really should keep the original cast if they want to make the film credible; i.e fans will not be happy if Zac, Nikki etc are replaced and it will almost certainly be unsuccessful.

Travolta - easily replaced. Everyone else, however, I imagine would come back if the right amount of cash was thrown at them.

It probably would be as successful as Hairspray because the majority of people who saw it in the cinemas would not have known what it was based on (the show) so would have no problem with there being a sequel - the High School Musical series have seen to that.

When it comes down to it, the plot of the first Hairspray doesn't exactly sound fantastic - but the songs make it great, so with the same team this time...surely there isn't a whole lot to worry about?

Famous last words...

Videos