pixeltracker

Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions- Page 3

Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#50re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/18/09 at 9:10pm

I hardly think Stockard Channing was nominated to snub the 9 to 5 girls. I loved 9 to 5 but there wasnt room for all three and Stockard's heartbreaking and vulnerable performance was light years ahead of many others.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#51re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/18/09 at 9:17pm

"Dear Sock Puppet,

The only reason Josephina was nominated was to intentionally snub the 9 TO 5 gals. The same reason Stockard Channing was nominated.

Don't expect your generic Maria to walk away with any statues come Tony night."

For me, aside from Liza, Scaglione gave the performance of the year. Go ahead, shoot.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#52re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/20/09 at 2:51pm

The only reason Josephina was nominated was to intentionally snub the 9 TO 5 gals. The same reason Stockard Channing was nominated.

You're kidding, right? What does anyone benefit from "snubbing" the actresses from 9 to 5? For some reason, a voter thinking, "Dear God, ANYONE but those damn 9 to five women! We'll show them!" seems far more ludicrous than a voter thinking, "You know, I thought ______ was a little better." The nominations are a consensus. For all we know, either of the 9 to 5 actresses may have lost the nomination by a vote or two, rather than by a conspiracy. A conspiracy that would...accomplish what?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 5/20/09 at 02:51 PM

boydowncenter
#53re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/20/09 at 3:19pm

I haven't seen the 9 to 5 yet, so I can't comment on that.
But I do agree completely with Brantley saying "reasons to be pretty" should win. As far as writing, performance, direction, etc it is the best play of the season. For star power, well, "God of Carnage" has that. But it shouldn't be what it's about, which is a shame.
I also think "Next To Normal" should win-"Billy Elliot" is this big commercial monsterpiece right now. I think it's a good show, but enough already.
"reasons to be pretty" and "Next To Normal" need the Tony-the others do not. They will survive regardless. These two shows have heart. And that's another thing I find to be missing in the huge money makers right now.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#54re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/20/09 at 3:55pm

boydowncenter- I understand your feelings, but completely disagree. A show should win the Tony because it is the best of the season, not because it can't survive otherwise.

boydowncenter
#55re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/20/09 at 4:08pm

The need for the Tony to survive is not my justification for them deserving to win it, americanboy99. I agree with you completely-that is not why a show should win. It was just something I was pointing out.

I truly believe that these two shows (rtbp and n2n) are the absolute best of the season. Hands down.
and it saddens me when the machines overshadow some really special works.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#56re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/20/09 at 4:27pm

"I truly believe that these two shows (rtbp and n2n) are the absolute best of the season. Hands down. "

What is "rtbp"?

PiraguaGuy2
#57re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/20/09 at 4:29pm

reasons to be pretty, dumbtard.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

boydowncenter
#58re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/20/09 at 4:29pm

rtbp - "reasons to be pretty"

boydowncenter
#59re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/21/09 at 5:55pm

What about revival, you guys?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#60re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/21/09 at 6:15pm

Stockard was awful. I don't care how many times people say "her voice wasn't great, but it's ok because she acted the crap out of it." The bottom line is that listening to her was painful. And her Vera wasn't really all that original. So the praise people have been giving her is unearned in my opinion.

Also, I finally saw West Side Story yesterday and was VERY underwhelmed by Scaglione. Other than "I Have a Love", which was beautiful, the rest of the time she was on stage she had the charisma of a pet rock.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#61re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/22/09 at 12:09am

Stockard did NOT deserve her nomination. Her acting was fine and she got the laughs but that voice...eesh.

The nominees should have been Scaglione, Ripley, Janney, Hilty, and Block.

Sutton gave the same performance she gave in MILLIE, DROWSY, and in a way YOUNG FRANK. Brassy, showy, and it works for her (obviously) but she didn't deserve a nomination either.

And God knows I love N2N but Tveit didn't deserve a nod. I would have much rather seen Chanler-Berat or even Hobson get nominated over him. Tveit gets arguably the best song in the show and a gut-wrenchingly emotional final scene. This sounds totally weird but it's more of the PART that should have gotten the nod because it's got some really showy and range-y moments; not Tveits somewhat milquetoast performance. It's a great role, not a great performance IMO. Not to say he's bad, which he isn't. He's fine in the role...just nothing incredible.
Updated On: 5/22/09 at 12:09 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#62re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/22/09 at 12:18am

I thought Tveit gave one of the best performances in the show, and the fact that he was overlooked for the one-note performance of Marc Kudisch is depressing. Tveit showed incredible range and depth with his acting. His final scene with Spencer is sob-inducing. This to say nothing of his incredible voice.

I'm tired of hearing how he is nothing more than a pretty face who appears onstage in his boxer shorts, as if there is nothing more than to his performance.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#63re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/22/09 at 12:19am

I thought Tveit is cute and has a gorgeous voice, but I didn't like his character or any of the choices he made. He felt more antagonistic than I would've personally liked.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#64re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/22/09 at 12:28am

Tveit CERTAINLY deserved it more the little boy who performs 4x a week.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#65re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/22/09 at 12:34am

I didn't like his character or any of the choices he made. He felt more antagonistic than I would've personally liked.

He's supposed to be antagonistic That's how the character is written.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#66re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/22/09 at 1:11am

I just hate the generalizations everyone makes about these performances...there's certainly more to Tveit's role and performance than the fact that he is shirtless. There's certainly more to Bologna's performance than dancing dresses.

I mean, if you tried, you could probably make ANYONE's performance sound lame by making those kinds of sweeping generalizations. It's not like Aaron comes out shirtless, smiles, and walks off. And it's not like Bologna comes on in a dress, does a high-kick, and walks off. I mean there's a lot more to both of their performances.

Harpz2006
#67re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/22/09 at 10:46am

I didn't think Tveit's performance was "milquetoast" at all- that word means timid and meek, and I thought he dominated the stage and had an eerie and creepy demeanor.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#68re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/22/09 at 11:08am

I thought Billy Elliot was good, but I'm geting kind of sick of all the hype. It is touching, and everything, but its not like its the only good show this year. Hadyn's character isn't really that interesting to me and I didn't think her performance was as powerful as Olivo's. The whole second act of WSS I was thinking to myself that Olivo needs to win the Tony. She was absolutely breathtaking in an okay production.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Videos