pixeltracker

Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions

Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions

Harpz2006
#1Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 1:42pm

Did you guys read this (n the Arts section of NYTimes today)? I thought it was interesting Brantley said Aaron Tveit should have been nominated for Best Lead Actor in a Musical...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/theater/theaterspecial/17critics.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=brantley&st=cse Updated On: 5/17/09 at 01:42 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 1:43pm

Maybe that was a mistake? Gabe is clearly NOT a leading role, and I would think Brantley knows that.

Harpz2006
#2re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 1:44pm

I know! But then his "should have" pick for featured was Eamon Foley from EVERYDAY RAPTURE (they could include off-Broadway).

lightinthepizza2
#3re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 1:44pm

Brantley soo wants some of that.

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#4re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 2:04pm

Isherwood really loves BE

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#5re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 2:23pm

I found it funny how Brantley and Isherwood kept cheering on Everyday Rapture and ROA, respectively.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 2:24pm

Interesting indeed.

Almost makes me wish who they thought SHOULDN'T have gotten the nomination...but that would just be mean.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 2:52pm

I'm sorry but what about Gabe's role makes it "Best Actor" worthy? He sings pretty, looks pretty, but that's about it. There's no emotional arch, he's hardly in the second act. He flails around the stage. I don't get it.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#8re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 2:58pm

I love that they both predict Karen Olivo, but they have Hair under "best musical".

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Updated On: 5/17/09 at 02:58 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#9re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 3:01pm

There's no emotional arch, he's hardly in the second act. He flails around the stage. I don't get it.

Sometimes I feel you haven't even seen the show. Maybe you missed the "I Am The One Reprise."

I love that they both predict Karen Olivo, but they have Hair under "best musical".

Huh???

rjjn Profile Photo
rjjn
#10re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 3:06pm

I hope the fact that they agreed on all the "will win"s except director doesn't mean this will be a boring Tonys.

"Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love." -Neil Patrick Harris

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#11re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 3:46pm

I really like their predictions actually. I love that they get to include Off-Broadway shows in their "Should Have Been Nominated" categories. They usually make good choices with those, I remember the year Encores! did FOLLIES, Brantley mentioned Murphy should have been nominated for Best Actress, and I really like that this year he is showing his enthusiasm for EVERYDAY RAPTURE in his predictions.
I find it interesting that both of them picked Karen Olivo not only for "Will Win" but "Should Win," I thought that Haydn Gwynne had the award in the bag. This will make for an interesting competition for Best Featured Actress in a Musical.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Ole Chum
#12re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 4:11pm

Isherwood is out of his mind. I'm all for differences of opinion, but its kinda hard to take him seriously.

snarkywannabedreamer Profile Photo
snarkywannabedreamer
#13re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 4:27pm

Isherwood is awesome. yep I said it.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#14re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 4:47pm

They both say Harden is going to win, but I still think McTeer has it. It won't be as predictable as they say.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 4:50pm

ljay889, I'm sorry, but what is emotional about the reprise? When I saw it they both weren't emotionally connected at all. When he said "Hi Dad" it was like he was just saying "hey, what's up?"

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#16re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 5:06pm

1. Isherwood has lost his mind re: his obsessive adoration for ROCK OF AGES.

2. Martha Plimpton will win Featured Actress in a Musical.

3. I agree that Tveit's performance was not nomination-worthy. Just because he has a hot body and can sing really well doesn't mean his performance is Tony-worthy.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Yankeefan007
#17re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 5:13pm

I, too, think (and hope) that Martha Plimpton will win Featured Actress in a Musical.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#18re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 5:15pm

I'd forgotten about Martha Plimptom...true, she'll probably win. Still with three great contenders, I think the race is one of the most interesting this season.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#19re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 5:32pm

I think some of you have lost your mind.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#20re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 5:42pm

Isherwood also seems to be cheering for Desire Under The Elms, as well as Rock of Ages.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#21re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 7:16pm

Repost since I was accused of not finding other threads... re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/theater/theaterspecial/17critics.html?_r=1&ref=theater

Haven't had a chance to see many nominated shows this year. I was particulary interested to read Brantley's "should win" categories. He says "reasons to be pretty" and "next to normal" should win....

I'd like to know why you think he thinks that, and if you agree. Both are shows I would like to see if I could make to NY right now...

I have the Next to Normal recording in the mail, so hopefully that will answer that one...

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#22re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 10:17pm

Whoever thinks Martha Plimpton will win is crazy. She doesn't have a shot.

Yankeefan007
#23re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 10:19pm

Said the people who didn't think ROCK OF AGES would even come close to a best musical, actor or director nomination.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#24re: Brantley and Isherwood Tony Predictions
Posted: 5/17/09 at 11:40pm

>They both say Harden is going to win, but I still think McTeer has it. It won't be as predictable as they say.<

Although it should be noted that both Brantley and Isherwood feel McTeer should win. And McTeer did win a Drama Desk Award tonight against Harden and Fonda, so it's a possibility.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Videos