pixeltracker

Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?- Page 4

Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#75is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 2:27pm

Mark_E, There was an agreement between the producers of Ragtime and Webber that Ragtime was just a place holder until Love Never Dies opens. Had it been successful, Webber would have split the cost of moving with the producers of Ragtime 50/50.

ACL2006 was just thinking that it might have been cheaper for Webber to use the money to keep Ragtime open rather then pay what I believe is the more expensive option of moving an entire production.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#76is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 2:59pm

ALW likes FR, he does not particularly like RAGTIME, whether or not his personal opinion is vital in this decision to keep FR going.

I'm quite pleased that this FR extension has turned out to be true.

P

Fanb
#77is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 3:10pm

Has a Finians extension been officially announced?
Updated On: 1/10/10 at 03:10 PM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#78is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 3:23pm

Pgenre, I understand that Webber likes Finian's Rainbow and isn't to keen on Phantom. But, I do think that it woud be cheaper to keep a show open then to move a show to another theatre.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#79is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 3:43pm

Pgenre, I understand that Webber likes Finian's Rainbow and isn't to keen on Phantom.

I know what you meant, but this is a funny typo. is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#80is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 6:04pm

Adam, believe it or not, I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out.

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#81is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 6:18pm

It was a sad couple of days when Ragtime announced a closing, then Finians did shortly after. At least one of these shows get to stay open. Fingers crossed that the Finians transfer does turn out to be true!

I'll take the wind and soar.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#82is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 6:22pm

Has ALW said anything publicly about Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow? (i.e. source comments that he doesn't 'particularly' like Ragtime etc.)

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#83is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/10/10 at 6:35pm

Not really. He has spoken about how he has wanted to write a score as good as that of Finian's. And that it is one of his favorite shows but never did he say that he didn't like Ragtime.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#84is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/11/10 at 8:10am

My understanding is that this is not yet a done deal and that there is a meeting tomorrow to make the final decision about going forward.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#85is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/11/10 at 1:53pm

He has spoken about how he has wanted to write a score as good as that of Finian's.

He can't, at least not as long as he insists on working with inferior lyricists. The score of FINIAN'S RAINBOW is wonderful, but part of the brilliance comes from Harburg's delightful wordplay.

Burton Lane's melodies are glorious, and ALW could certainly come up with (or judiciously borrow) melodies to match. As Martin Gottfried pointed out years ago, Lloyd Webber's determination to be the sole above-the-title creator has done him great damage. So many ideas loaded with potential have been squandered thanks largely to insultingly bad lyrics, and to a lesser degree weak or problematic librettos.

For a man who so much admires Rodgers and Hammerstein (or in this case Lane and Harburg) it remains baffling to me that his ego cannot allow him to share credit. I just envision how much better all of his shows would be if he could get over that "star" attitude.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Updated On: 1/11/10 at 01:53 PM

matineeidol2013
#86is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/11/10 at 7:01pm

does smaxie or anybody else know if this is a done deal yet?

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#87is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/11/10 at 7:02pm

It's not Tuesday yet.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#88is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/11/10 at 7:03pm

The meeting is tomorrow.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#89is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/11/10 at 7:05pm

I really hope this happens...and it opens in time for my next trip in March. (I am already pissed at myself for missing RAGTIME, so I hope to powers that be won't let me miss this one!)

matineeidol2013
#90is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/11/10 at 7:07pm

gosh completely skipped over the word 'tomorrow' sorry guys

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#91is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 12:03pm

Fingers crossed that we get an answer today

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#92is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 12:40pm

I originally didn't think this was true, but I've recently heard of this from people I know who work at Nederlander (the owner of the Neil Simon). Apparently the producers need to raise a certain amount (about 2.5-2.7 million) for the transfer to happen. They've already raised over 2 million, so this is looking like a possibility.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#93is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 12:51pm

I can throw about $10 their way.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#94is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 12:55pm

If this happens. I just don't get who they expect would want to see this in Spring when there will be WAY more competition than there was in the Fall?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#95is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 1:57pm

I imagine that in their frame of mind, the fact that they would have the opportunity to perform on the Tonys would help generate ticket sales (not that this has proven to be true for a lot of shows in the past, but just looking at it from their perspective).

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#96is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 2:04pm

They could also be really gimmicky and have some special St. Patrick's Day advertising/rates.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#97is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 2:18pm

Even a Tony win for Best Revival doesn't guarantee an extended run. Just look at La Cages from a few seasons ago.

If ALW wanted to pour money into a show, he should have done so by keeping Ragtime at the Neil Simon.

arishmoof Profile Photo
arishmoof
#98is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 7:20pm

its not happening, they just had their meeting. sorry.

you may know what you need but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#99is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 7:37pm

Same. It was nice that ALW offered, nonetheless.

Videos