pixeltracker

So--who will replace Bernadette?- Page 4

So--who will replace Bernadette?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#75So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 8:56pm

Is Tori Spelling too young? Having seen her musical talents in TRICK, I think she'd be brilliant.

Boq101
#76So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:02pm

I just see Toni Collete as more of a Phyllis. Julia Murney would also be a great Phyllis one day...

broadwaybabytn Profile Photo
broadwaybabytn
#77So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:02pm

Ms. Spelling is 38.
Could she play 49? I guess it depends who she's cast against. But my gut tells me she's a tad young.

Oh wait- were you joking?
That would make a tad more sense, seeing as TRICK was over a decade ago.

Jordan Catalano
#78So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:03pm

Shannon Doherty as Phyllis to Tori Spelling's Sally would be a guaranteed sell out. And if they do that, Ben and Buddy pretty much cast themselves!

Updated On: 12/22/11 at 09:03 PM

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#79So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:10pm

woah woah woah, now you've got Megan Mullally and Donna Murphy all up in my brain and I love it. Megan's got the potential to rock it and Donna is, well Donna f-ing Murphy she could do the show as a one-woman show and kill it

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

Jordan Catalano
#80So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:12pm

Yeah, but she's no Jennie Garth.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#81So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:16pm

Sorry, I just can't stop picturing Tova swaying and swinging that skirt up over her waist, singing, "No, don't look at me ..."

I hope she gets the call!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

theeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
#82So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:39pm

Dorothy Collins' singing sounded nice but ordinary on first listen? Not for me. The quality of her singing struck me from the off. Even those chesty "Ta-dahs!" made me sit up and listen.

I also thought about Ellen Greene, but I suspect she'd suffer even more from the chest voice/head voice gap problem than Peters does.

The only TV/Film name with a soprano that pops into mind is sadly no longer with us.... Madeline Kahn.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#83So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:41pm

Dorothy Collins had an incredibly rich voice.

Jordan Catalano
#84So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:44pm

Can Annette Bening sing?

random person 112
#85So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:45pm

It all depends on how old they want to go but i still think Kristin Chenoweth would be a great choice if they want to go younger than the current cast, i think she'd be great and such a change of pace for her. Or if they want to stay a little older Lesley Ann Warren but does she still have those high notes...

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#86So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:47pm

Can Annette Bening sing?

I said the same thing about Sally Field.

EDIT: And yes, 15 years from now, I'd love to see Chenoweth, Sutton Foster, Matt Cavenaugh and Norbert Butz star in yet still another Follies revival.

Updated On: 12/22/11 at 09:47 PM

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#87So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:49pm

I've been wondering if Annette Bening can sing for a while now. Wasn't she up for the Sweeney film at some point? She's make an interesting Sally or Phyllis. Maybe even Carlotta?

Oh, God! Lesley Ann Warren would be wonderful in any role. I saw her as a Carlotta, but I kinda see her as a Sally now. She needs a big meaty role again. I adore her. Haven't heard her sing in years, but I'm sure there's still a voice there.

If Cheno isn't busy, she'd be able to hit all the Sally notes for sure, but she is a little too young, I guess. Oh, Hell, why not? Stick some make up on her and dress her down and who's gonna know the difference?

AMH Profile Photo
AMH
#88So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:54pm

The only TV/Film name with a soprano that pops into mind is sadly no longer with us.... Madeline Kahn.

I absolutely adore Madeline Kahn, and could listen to her sing all day long, but I don't think she would've been right for Sally. Madeline would certainly have been able to sing the part beautifully, but she never struck me as having a great deal of vulnerability in her acting.

I just can't stop picturing Tova swaying and swinging that skirt up over her waist, singing, "No, don't look at me ..."

LOL!

"I'm the swell swab on the poop deck."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#89So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 10:04pm

Chenoweth will be great in about 10 years. It will allow her to explore a darker role, like with Bernadette.

random person 112
#90So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 10:09pm

And on a different note how about Stockard Channing for either carlotta or Phyllis, would Phyllis be too high for her.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#91So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 10:12pm

Stockard Channing is 67. Phyllis is 49/50. Although Carlotta is the same age, I would say Channing could play that role if she had the vocal chops.

Gaveston2
#92So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 10:23pm

"Dorothy Collins had an incredibly rich voice."

Yes, she did. The fault in not fully appreciating her in 1971 was entirely mine. I was 17 and also failed to appreciate Rosemary Clooney. To my ear back then, I expected Ethel Merman or Barbara Cook. Anything in between was "mere" pop to me.

I stil thought Collins was excellent as Sally, however. I don't agree the role requires an astonishing, unique voice. Sally isn't Reno Sweeney.

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#93So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 10:45pm

I'd love to see Channing as Carlotta.

What about Catherine O'Hara? I know she's got the vocal chops for it and she could be really heartbreaking.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#94So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 11:13pm

Wait, I love this idea of Norbert in a few years. He'd be a wonderful Buddy.

Starcarolina
#95So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 12:12am

I will never forget seeing Dorothy Collins singing "Losing My Mind" from the middle of the 5th row in the orchestra. IIRC, the red grand curtain closed and there in the middle of the stage with a tight follow spot on her was this doe-eyed, angelic looking but sad, petite woman. Her voice was ethereal and the song pierced my heart. When tears unexpectedly rolled down my face, I was a little embarrassed and confused about it. Years later, when I stood " in the middle of the room; not going left, not going right" during some dilemma in my life, I played this song and understood my emotional reaction to it even when I was so young, except on a different level. Seeing Alexis Smith, Yvonne De Carlo, Fifi D'Orsay, et al. in the original production of FOLLIES was one of the best experiences of my life. I certainly did not "get" all the nuances of the show at the time, but it has been fun over the years discovering many other things about it from reading, seeing, and hearing different interpretations of the material... This comment may not make sense to everyone but this show (and the original Company) made me know that theatre was something without which I could not live a totally happy, complete, fulfilled life...And I met Christine Ebersole in 1970's when she was doing a show in the fledgling state theatre we were trying to start. What a lovely person and great suggestion that she would make an excellent Sally. But her legs are almost as pretty as Alexis Smith's! In fact, she reminds me of Alexis Smith physically from what I recall years ago. A Phyllis-no; a Sally-yes...

Updated On: 12/23/11 at 12:12 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#96So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 12:30am

Don't be embarrassed starcarolina, the piece is that strong and your reactions were very easy to relate to.

"Sally is no Reno Sweeny", no but that range, to me is wider and the score perhaps more difficult to manuever. (not that Reno is easy, it takes power and stamina), comparing the two is kinda strange.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#97So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 12:33am

Ljay, I totally get it because FOLLIES is a very special show to me as well.
I wonder if they'll approach Kim Cattrall again, if Maxwell indeed doesn't transfer, she seems like such a natural for Phyllis. Of course Murphy would be brilliant, same as with Clark, I can only imagine the level she'd reach if she was given the chance of a full rehearsal for an actual production.
I cannot imagine they'd get an actress not known for her singer for Sally and as Somethingwicked said, it'll probably be someone who's either based in LA or who knows the role already. Mullally comes to mind, Melora Hardin (not sure about her age and I'm not saying she's right for the role at all, just that she's an LA-based actress who can sing) comes to mind, Faith Prince (who used to be in LA, I'm not sure where she's based now) comes to mind. I'm so curious as to who they've approached for the part!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#98So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 2:11am

Best12, love the thought about Sally Field.

theeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
#99So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 8:28am

I LOVE the idea of Catherine O'Hara. Not sure if she has the right vocal range, but my main exposure to her singing is as Lola Heatherton So--who will replace Bernadette?                                                Does O'Hara do theatre regularly? Anyway, in terms of her position on the showbiz ladder, I think she's a realistic choice.

Oh, and re: Madeline Kahn and vulnerability. I got a mental flash of her in that scene in Paper Moon where her character tries to persuade Tatum O'Neal to get in the car. When she lists off what she's likely to get from Ryan O'Neal, her vulnerability and patheticness shines through.

Videos