pixeltracker

Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?- Page 4

Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#75Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/19/14 at 10:34pm

Saw the show tonight. Michael is a great Hedwig. I saw NPH in the role previously and enjoyed both takes on the role. I do think NPH is better vocally, though. Michael's acting was spot on. And he sounds great too, grittier than NPH. Lena Hall is still giving an amazing performance, she's incredible.

nyctechie08
#76Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/19/14 at 11:46pm

JPeterman - I would definitely get seats further back. I was in the 3rd row center for NPH's final Hedwig performance and it was very uncomfortable for my neck because I was looking up. Also, you cannot enjoy the props for certain performances ex. Origin of Love and Wig in a Box because you're too close to the stage to take it all in...I chose a seat further back in front Mezzanine for MCH's performance for that reason. I enjoyed the show much more from that distance and angle during my first NPH viewing.

Updated On: 10/19/14 at 11:46 PM

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#77Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/20/14 at 1:25am

Thanks nyctechie, I remember being in about the 5th or 6th row for the two Shakespeare plays earlier this year and thinking the stage was really high and I was happy I wasn't any closer. I may just wait and see if anything else becomes available.

ramblingwreck97 Profile Photo
ramblingwreck97
#78Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/20/14 at 10:40am

I saw the show yesterday, after having seen NPH's Tony-winning performance in August. I will say that although the look and voice of MCH are superior, no one can compare to the character and energy of NPH. I thought MCH's improv was suprisingly weak, and very thought out. The Belasco ghost may as well be cut. Lena seems to be a bit less comfortable with him, but still wonderful at the same time. The audience was not lively at all, many were dead faced. MCH will most likely improve, but I can't see him ever reaching the heights that NPH set with his run in the role.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#79Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/20/14 at 12:08pm

"no one can compare to the character and energy of NPH."

Well, if you restrict it to this Broadway run, perhaps. Otherwise, no one can compare to JCM.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#80Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/20/14 at 12:18pm

I sat in the front row seats on the side when I saw NPH. Yes, it was too close and partially obstructed. I did get a great view when he comes over during the scene with finding the music from Hurt Locker.

I just saw MCH yesterday. He did an incredible job! I felt he captured the "spirit" of a transgender woman better than NPH. Played it more vulnerable than "bitchy".

Still stand by my opinion that NPH earned his Tony!

I would recommend seeing it with Hall.

I also agree with those that said that Lena is till kicking ass!

ramblingwreck97 Profile Photo
ramblingwreck97
#81Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/20/14 at 1:19pm

Completely agree, John Cameron Mitchell just IS Hedwig, and I'm really hoping he closes the run playing the role.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#82Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/20/14 at 1:27pm

Me too!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#83Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/20/14 at 1:32pm

"Still stand by my opinion that NPH earned his Tony!"

That's not a very controversial opinion, there are pictures and video showing him win it.

Of course, an award win has never silenced opinion in the history of the arts.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#84Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/20/14 at 1:33pm

IMO, the best Hedwig I've seen was Michael Cerveris-he ran the gambit of emotions that the role requires. He had the danger to him, yet the hurt and vulnerability were there. Plus, he had the best voice of any of the actors I've seen. (And boy did he move well, even in the small Jane. I'd love to see him do it still, but I think that's not going to happen anytime soon.)

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#85Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/20/14 at 5:01pm

I too would love to see Cerveris!

Everlast85 Profile Photo
Everlast85
#86Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/20/14 at 9:42pm

Yeah, between Fun Home and The Good Wife, it ain't happening.

Showface
#87Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/20/14 at 9:42pm

Joel Grey

He would be good...

Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Updated On: 10/20/14 at 09:42 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#88Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/20/14 at 9:45pm

Joel would have the opposite problem as NPH with the Berlin Wall timeline...

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#89Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/20/14 at 9:50pm

Joel Grey? I doubt the majority of current fans and ticket buyers of Hedwig would even know who he is. Dude is 82. It would close in a day.

Updated On: 10/20/14 at 09:50 PM

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#90Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/21/14 at 12:48pm

Chita Rivera as Yitzhak?

Stephanatic

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#91Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/21/14 at 12:52pm

Duh, we know it isn't happening for Cerveris (yet-I can dream, right?). If Fun Home tanks, maybe he'll do a short run. (And given his participation in The Good Wife, he may not even be doing that.)

I personally prefer the more Broadway types. I say bring it to New World Stages and let it run there with Broadway people in the role.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#92Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/21/14 at 11:03pm

I saw the show tonight and thought Hall was terrific. His voice is more ragged than Harris's or Rannells', but it suits the material. His physical movement was excellent. He was climbing the walls as well as NPH and handled the car wash without falling off the arms of the chair. Hall seemed at ease up on stage, and the jokes landed. His relationship was Yitzhak was touching at the end.

These were the best seats I have had so far for Hedwig, row D on the left side as you face the stage on the side aisle. Perfect view. Lena Hall is still great. The show is in fine shape!

I've been impressed with the three Broadway Hedwigs so far. Each is giving a nuanced performance. I hope the show continues its run!

Updated On: 10/21/14 at 11:03 PM

Sutton Ross
#93Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/21/14 at 11:16pm

"If Fun Home tanks, maybe he'll do a short run. (And given his participation in The Good Wife, he may not even be doing that.) "

He may not even be doing what?

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#94Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/22/14 at 8:26am

He may not be transferring with Fun Home due to his work with The Good Wife.

And I'm glad you guys liked Michael C. Hall. I just don't get it. And I don't see myself going back again until he's gone. There are too many other shows I'd rather see and he's just not as good as any of the others I've seen (with one exception).

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#95Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/22/14 at 10:26am

Upon reflecting on Hall's performance, the one slight negative I would say is that he's doing more of a rock interpretation, and so the lyrics are not as understandable as, say, the way Rannells sang them. You could hear every word with him. For someone going in without knowing the songs, that can be a drawback.

Ravzie
#96Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/22/14 at 10:28am

Is anyone dressing as the characters to see the show?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#97Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/22/14 at 10:32am

Not that I noticed last night. Maybe Saturday night is different.

Sutton Ross
#98Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/22/14 at 1:24pm

"He may not be transferring with Fun Home due to his work with The Good Wife. "

He is absolutely doing Fun Home, his role on TGW is recurring at best. The audition for the show only needed the two boys and medium Alison.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#99Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/22/14 at 1:29pm

TGW seems pretty accommodating about lining up shooting scheduled around Broadway schedules. Alan Cumming says he shoots a lot of his scenes every other Monday.

Videos