She Loves Me Recording?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#75She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 11:33am

I would just like to mention how beautifully produced this cast recording is.  The conversation comes up frequently (and is taking place concurrently on the thread about the cast recording for WAITRESS) about how most cast recordings in the modern digital era too often have a rather flat, compressed sound making the material feel 'smaller' than it does in the theatre.

But this gorgeous new cast recording of SHE LOVES ME has the sweeping sound of the cast recordings from the great classic era of Broadway. It's not just the orchestrations (grand) but the work of the producer and engineers who chose to allow "space' around the voices and instruments. The result is a recording that is lush and grandly theatrical. Bravo Kurt Deutsch, and Ghostlight Records. Thomas Z. Shepard would be proud!

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 6/6/16 at 11:33 AM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#76She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 11:33am

I think Gavin and the rest of the cast sound fantastic. This is probably my number one pick for cast album of the season. Outside of the OBC, this is the best recording of this score we will likely ever get and will probably be my first choice now when listening to the score though I still think it's important to own the OBC recording.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#77She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 1:13pm

Grrrr.....Amazon has NOTHING available to pre order the MP3 on their site....nor do they have any knowledge that it will even be released on Friday.   Other than iTunes....where can you get this digitally?   (I usually get music through Amazon!)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

daisybeetle Profile Photo
daisybeetle
#78She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 1:24pm

Pre-order on the http://www.sh-k-boom.com/ website, or listen to it now on the link I posted earlier.

dramamama611
#79She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 1:26pm

Digital.  Does Sh k boom do digital?   (I didn't see it.)  

(And I am listening to it)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

daisybeetle Profile Photo
daisybeetle
#80She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 1:31pm

Oh sorry , it says it doesn't include digital. I was wrong.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#81She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 1:58pm

QueenAlice, while i agree with -" I would just like to mention how beautifully produced this cast recording is.  The conversation comes up frequently (and is taking place concurrently on the thread about the cast recording for WAITRESS) about how most cast recordings in the modern digital era too often have a rather flat, compressed sound making the material feel 'smaller' than it does in the theatre."

entirely, I do think The Color Purple Revival's cast recording was very very well done as well from a theatrical feel way. Better than OBC in my opinion.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#82She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 1:59pm

I'm yet to see the production live (going in a couple weeks). It seems like Vanilla Icecream is slightly rushed in this production (from the recording). Is that true or am I just making stuff up?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#83She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 3:19pm

THIS RECORDING

This cast was almost too good to be true on paper, but this recording alone shows that they live up to expectations. I will be forever shattered that I'm going to miss this production.

The new charts are wonderful, so glad they didn't use the hokey synths from 1993. And being a Ghostlight release it sounds fantastic as always. So glad they took on this recording instead of one of the sketchier labels (*cough* DMI).

It honestly is equalling the OBC for me too, which is pretty shocking. I'm truly torn which I enjoy more.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#84She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 3:46pm

I actually enjoy this album better then the OBC (even though Barbara Cook is stunning) simply due to Jane Krakowski's definitive Ilona.  Laura and Zachary are right on the same level as the original cast, but Jane just bumps this album up to a completely different level.  I still can't get over how lush this recording sounds.

I also have no idea who the guy playing Arpad is (Nicholas something?), but his "Try Me" is amazing. 

Btw there's a string section during "Trip... Library" (during the "telling my troubles to Paul" section) that is so beautiful that it gives me chills. 

Updated On: 6/6/16 at 03:46 PM

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#85She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 4:32pm

This recording is absolutely beautiful, and I'm so grateful it happened. It perfectly captures the joy of watching this production live. It's sad to think there's only a little more than a month left in the run, but I'm happy I have tickets to go back once more. I know I'm going to be talking about this for many years to come.

Updated On: 6/6/16 at 04:32 PM

bwayandstuff
#86She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 5:23pm

If this recording were just Gavin Creel singing "champagne might be nice with hot hors d'oeuvres" in Good Morning, Good Day, I would be content. 

But I agree with everyone above, the recording is excellent. It's so easy to visualize the show while listening to the music.

@icecreambenjamin, it's Nicholas Barasch, he's 17 and a high school senior. Nuts, huh??surprise

Updated On: 6/6/16 at 05:23 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#87She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 5:23pm

imeldasturn said: "I've been listening to the album for the past few days and I really like it, even if Gavin is not as brilliant as he is in the show... His voice sounds a bit off"

Past few days?? where did you get it??!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

woeisme3
#88She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 5:32pm

I Don't Know His Name took my breath away. It was hard to hear in the theatre, but Laura and Jane together is divine. This recording is amazing.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#89She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 5:34pm

Is it true that physical copies are already available at the theatre?

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#90She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 5:39pm

I'm leaving work now (this commute will now be extra painful) and can't wait to get home to listen to this!!!

dramamama611
#91She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 5:40pm

Barasch was in the recent revival of Drood....and he was pretty delightful then, too.   He was nominated for a Drama Desk, for this.   

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#92She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 7:11pm

I agree that Jane Krakowski is the reason this just became the definitive recording of the show for me and that's saying a lot considering the fact I adore the OBCR and consider Barbara Baxley's performance in it to be one of my favorite recorded performances. But Krakowski's take on Ilona is truly one for the ages, from the time she sings "good morning" to her reactions in "Ilona" to her master class delivery of "A Trip to the Library," she makes the role seem as important as Amalia. Krakowski waited 13 years to return to Broadway and boy did she have something to deliver.

Everything about the album is perfection though. Benanti is glorious and an equal to Barbara Cook. I've said it before, but the reason I think Barbara Cook is untouchable is because she could give a hilarious performance while singing this gorgeous soprano songs. Most performers can do one or the other--Benanti is hilarious and sings perfectly. Levi, Creel, McGrath, Jennings, Barasch, Barlett...wow, this has to be one of the most delightful ensembles of working theatre actors (save for Levi who rises to the occasion) ever recorded. I've listened to the album about four times already and can't stop.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#93She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 7:59pm

I really love the way they incorporate Ilona into her song on this recording instead of it just being sung about her. It's certainly not done on the OBC and I can't recall if the revival album did.

It reminds me of something I read once about how "All I Need is the Girl" from GYPSY is so much more powerful on record with an alternate take incorporating Louise into the number.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#94She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 8:16pm

Listening now, and it's just as delightful as it was in the theatre. I also have to single out Byron Jennings- Days Gone By has always been my least favorite song by a mile, but he really makes it work. I know he's largely known for straight plays, but I hope he does more musicals in the future since his performance in this is so good. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#95She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/6/16 at 9:02pm

Just bought a front row ticket for the July 9th evening performance while listening to this recording. Man am I going to miss this show. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#96She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/7/16 at 1:07am

Wow this recording is maybe the best of the season so far released this spring. Some of the tempos are a little quick but the cast sounds terrif as do the new orchestrations (although was Zachary Levi under the weather when they recorded? He doesn't sound bad just like he maybe had a cold)

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#97She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/7/16 at 10:01am

I've been listening to the recording for about a week, and I have to say that the biggest delight for me is Levi. It's so nice to hear a baritone musical leading man's voice like his these days.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#98She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/7/16 at 10:22am

gypsy101 said: "(although was Zachary Levi under the weather when they recorded? He doesn't sound bad just like he maybe had a cold)"

I thought so at first, but after seeing the show I figured he has such a bigger presence on stage that he probably just toned it down for purposes of recording.  No big deal.  He sounds great, though. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#99She Loves Me Recording?
Posted: 6/7/16 at 2:19pm

Kad said: "I've been listening to the recording for about a week, and I have to say that the biggest delight for me is Levi. It's so nice to hear a baritone musical leading man's voice like his these days."

Yap! I think Levi is the biggest delight for me as well. The giggle in the beginning of She Loves Me - "I didn't like her.. didn't like her I couldn't stand her" is so fantastic!

Updated On: 6/7/16 at 02:19 PM

Videos