pixeltracker

THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season- Page 4

THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#75THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/10/18 at 3:57pm

Wow. A lot of <<edited by BWW staff for personal attack>> here blabbing about how anti PC they are. That's what this board has come to.

Updated On: 5/10/18 at 03:57 PM

AlfredDrakeII
#76THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/10/18 at 4:00pm

Actually George, I'm Black myself. According to Progressive Orthodoxy Black people cannot be racist, so I'm a bit confused:

Am I racist, or are you going to condescend to call me a race-traitor who doesn't have the intelligence to understand when he should and shouldn't be offended?

I eagerly await your reply.

Sincerely,
~Al

BWWMatt Profile Photo
BWWMatt
#77THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/10/18 at 4:06pm

Ok folks, we have deleted and edited some posts in this thread, and as we are trying to address those things, we keep getting more posts that need attention. The topic of this thread is the announced revival of "The Secret Garden." If we can get this thread back focused on that, it would be appreciated. If not, we will simply have to lock it, as the conversation would have obviously reached its natural conclusion. 

Please remember that while we want you to share your passionate feelings about shows, casting, performers, the environment and society that a show is a part of, and more, we need you to do so in a civil way. So, even if you vehemently disagree with someone, and find what they say/believe offensive, we ask that you communicate that without resorting to profanity and attacks. 

If everyone can do that, while we might not change anyone's minds, we might be able to at least understand everyone's perspective. Thank you for your efforts. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#78THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/10/18 at 4:10pm

I don't really mind the siblings being different ethnicities — if the rest of the ensemble is just about the same variety, then hopefully the audience will believe them as brothers just as they do the various incarnations of the Schuyler sisters.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BWWMatt Profile Photo
BWWMatt
#79THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/10/18 at 5:21pm

Three posts were deleted in this thread, as they were between two people who were arguing and trading insults off the topic of the thread. Not to mention that they both mentioned that they wanted to get the thread back on track. So, let's do that, please THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#80THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/10/18 at 6:32pm

Wait, so I don't even get to find out what GeorgeAndDot called me? That's not fair at all.

mikey2573
#81THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/10/18 at 8:28pm

I am not sure about Warren Carlyle directing THE SECRET GARDEN revival.  He is primarily known as a choreographer (I loved his work on A CHRISTMAS STORY) and I don't tend to think of THE SECRET GARDEN as a dancing show.  I think of it more as a show that has some very intricate, nuanced, and complicated acting, which would therefore benefit from an "actor's director".  I think this is Carlyle's first time directing a Broadway musical and THE SECRET GARDEN can be very tricky. 

natashalost
#82THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/10/18 at 8:59pm

mikey2573 said: "I am not sure about Warren Carlyle directing THE SECRET GARDEN revival. He is primarily known as a choreographer (I loved his work on A CHRISTMAS STORY) and I don't tend to think of THE SECRET GARDEN as a dancing show. I think of it more as a show that has some very intricate, nuanced, and complicated acting, whichwould therefore benefit from an "actor's director". I think this is Carlyle's first time directing a Broadway musical and THE SECRET GARDEN can be very tricky."

I agree. Do you think they could get Marianne Elliot by any chance? I don't know if she exclusively directs plays but Angels in America sure is intricate, nuanced, and complicated. I think she could do it.

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#83THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/10/18 at 9:43pm

This would actually be the sixth Broadway show he's directed. However, those shows were definitely a certain thing and involved a lot of dance and spectacle, so I don't think it disregards what you're saying.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#84THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/10/18 at 9:51pm

<<edited by BWW staff for personal attack>>>

Anyhoo, yeah not sure Carlyle is the right choice for this. Arden would have been a really strong choice for this show. He probably could have created some really wonderful magic onstage.

Updated On: 5/10/18 at 09:51 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#85THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/10/18 at 11:23pm

Love to see Timbers take a crack at something much more dark and less comedic than his other shows.

LaneBryant
#86THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/11/18 at 2:22am

GeorgeandDot said: "VERY bad choice to cast the only black woman as the maid."

WAITRESS only lets Black Women play the fat role.

HAMILTON only lets dark-skinned Black women play Peg/Maria or Angelica .... point me to a dark-skinned Eliza - not a swing or a cover... it's never happened...

I could keep going but I'm already exhausted

There's a PLETHORA of Black women problems on Broadway. This is the Best role and she's going to act and sing the hell out of it. 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#87THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/11/18 at 3:33am

LaneBryant said: "GeorgeandDot said: "VERY bad choice to cast the only black woman as the maid."

WAITRESS only lets Black Women play the fat role.

HAMILTON only lets dark-skinned Black women play Peg/Maria or Angelica ....point me to a dark-skinned Eliza - not a swing or a cover... it's never happened...

I could keep going but I'm already exhausted

There's a PLETHORA of Black women problems on Broadway. This is the Best role and she's going to act and sing the hell out of it.

"

Since when have people of Hawaiian, Hispanic, Philippine descent been considered as "Black"? 

Updated On: 5/11/18 at 03:33 AM

Videos