Posted: 12/25/04 at 8:14am

'john & jen' all the way.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#76re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/25/04 at 10:16am

To iluvtheatertrash

Please send me an e mail or PM me re our previous messages. I cannot PM you & previous e mails not responded to

Thanks

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 12/25/04 at 10:16 AM

misterchoi
#77re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/25/04 at 10:22am

The Fix, Madison Avenue, Songs from the Capeman, Elegies: A song cycle, myths and hymns, a man of no importance, violet

"Yesterday is done. See the pretty countryside. Merrily we roll along, roll along- catching at dreams."- Merrily we roll along "The living was the prize, the ending's not the story."- Elegies, a song cycle
Updated On: 12/25/04 at 10:22 AM

QuiteSo Profile Photo
QuiteSo
#78re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/26/04 at 12:46am

Triumph of Love. It's not overly-wonderful, but it's really cute and not well known.

Merrily we roll along, roll along...

nodaybuttoday4
#79re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:45pm

Bat Boy.

Alright, so maybe I'm pushing Bat Boy integration just a tad too much.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#80re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:47pm

Thanks I luvtheatertrash

Poster Emeritus

me101 Profile Photo
me101
#81re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:50pm

Side Show has some very lovely music, but I've never seen the show

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. -Dorothy Parker

Daniel3
#82re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:54pm

the best ones I know are Warner's MOSES (which is stunning) and MOTHERLAND which is a sort of sci-fi (but not cheesy) Revolutionary musicthat inspired the Matrix im sure

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#83re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/27/04 at 7:58pm

I gotta go with Violet on this one.

I'll concur with Myths and Hymns, BatBoy, Jon & Jen, Mystery of Edwin Drood and Side Show as well.

Does Piece count? :)

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?

rockfenris2005
#84re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/28/04 at 8:26pm

the best ones I know are Warner's MOSES (which is stunning) and MOTHERLAND which is a sort of sci-fi (but not cheesy) Revolutionary musicthat inspired the Matrix im sure

Yes. I have bits and pieces of these. They are absolutely stunning. I wanted to stage an Australian production with my company, Radical Wizardry. I feel (personally) some of the greatest lost musicals are Black and Barry's Alice in Wonderland and Fox and Steinman's The Confidence Man - which is a very melodic, majestic Brechtian musical in the style of Show Boat and Threepenny Opera. I'd strongly recommend it. Also: anything by Steinman (i.e. a musical version of Wagner's Rhinegold, lol) and anything by Warner - absolutely sensational! His stuff is like a cross between Steinman and Gore (the guy who wrote the Fame song and Carrie). It's camp and gothic and gorgeous :)

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific
Updated On: 12/28/04 at 08:26 PM

actress_06 Profile Photo
actress_06
#85re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/28/04 at 9:07pm

Personals!

"Better...Better than What?" -Jo March (Little Women the Musical) "NYC...Up there (In Lights) I'll be." -Star to be (Annie)

felineofavenueb Profile Photo
felineofavenueb
#86re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/28/04 at 11:29pm

Bat Boy, though it occurs to me after reading all this that it is pretty well known. Also Starting Here, Starting Now.

KateMusic Profile Photo
KateMusic
#87re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:02am

Last Five Years
Merrily We Roll Along
The Secret Garden

Some people analyze every detail/ Some people stall when they can't see the trail/ Some people freeze out of fear that they'll fail/ But I keep rollin' on/ Some people can't get success with their art/ Some people never feel love in their heart/ Some people can't tell the two things apart/ But I keep rollin' on

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#88re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:26am

Hedwig and the Angry Inch!! I saw it here in DC...it was so touching.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

QtKt Profile Photo
QtKt
#89re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:28am

I absolutely ADORE Zanna, Don't!
oh, and Sideshow.... great music...

Twilight Profile Photo
Twilight
#90re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/29/04 at 1:57am

I adore Zombie Prom! I know it's rather cheesy and whatnot, but I love it, I really do.

I can't control my destiny. I trust my soul my only goal is just to be

LiTtLeDaNcEr729 Profile Photo
LiTtLeDaNcEr729
#91re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/29/04 at 2:31am

This thread made me feel really dumb...even though I have over 200 Broadway CDs...I haven't heard of half of these- and I couldn't think of any not-so-well known shows (besides some of the things people are saying like Parade, Side Show,Zanna Don't...and some others)

Jeez...I really need to get some of this stuff.

Meanwhile...I'm singing a song from Romance, Romance and I love it...so if that counts for anything...

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#92re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/29/04 at 2:36am

I have many.
The Last Five Years
Listen To My Heart- Songs of David Friedman
Zanna Don't- (Tim got a Drama Desk nomination so it is well known but i loved it)
Secret's Every Smart Traveller Should Know
Violet- Gorgeous score. Want to see a full production.

mollyllom Profile Photo
mollyllom
#93re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/29/04 at 2:51am

ooh how cool! I'm doing Blithe Spirit right now (Mrs Bradman) and I didn't know there was a musical. Awesome.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=13865158 please =D

mollyllom Profile Photo
mollyllom
#94re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/29/04 at 3:01am

<3you shivi
I second that

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=13865158 please =D

whimsical
#95re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/29/04 at 3:53am

These are all on different levels of popularity, but I love:

Violet
Fiorello
Little by Little (a guilty pleasure)
and
my Greenwillow cast recording (haven't seen the show)

edfu
#96re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/29/04 at 4:14am

THE GRASS HARP--indisputably and forever. Just wonderful. And with Barbara Cook, Karen Morrow, and Carol Brice--who could ask for more? Oh, maybe the cutie Russ Thacker. Eternal thanks to the great Claibe Richardson and Kenward Elmslie for writing this stupendous score.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#97re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/29/04 at 10:40am

I saw a cute little production of GRASS HARP in L.A. some years back starring Susan Watson (Bye Bye Birdie) and Candy Brown (Pippin). Susan Watson still looked sixteen.

citylights
#98re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/29/04 at 11:33pm

I can't figure out how well-known Hedwig and the Angry Inch is. I saw a production in Cambridge, MA this fall and then I learned that a whole lot of people are fans of it. If it is obscure, though, it's my fave.

jarred03, All In The Timing is AWESOME-- I was in "Philip Glass..." this summer.

#99re: favorite not-so-well-known musical
Posted: 12/29/04 at 11:51pm

My Favorite Year

Videos