Act I finales

broadwaybaby619 Profile Photo
broadwaybaby619
#75ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/1/04 at 7:35pm

Sweeney Todd, bar none. "A Little Priest" is the perfect Act I finale. My close call would be Les Miz.

formanatrix
#76ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/1/04 at 7:42pm

My choices would have to be Wicked and Les Miz. I just remember feeling the chills during these finalies.

CaTheatreGirl Profile Photo
CaTheatreGirl
#77ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/1/04 at 7:43pm

I know it's not a huge production number, but "I Am What I Am" in La Cage is pretty profound and thought provoking. It's made all the more effective as Gary Beach rips off his wig and furiously stomps up the aisle to end Act 1.

Necromancer07707 Profile Photo
Necromancer07707
#78ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/1/04 at 10:39pm

Sweeney, Children of Eden or Les Miz (I've seen the Act I finale as both One Day More and Do you Hear the People Sing)

"I am ready to disclaim my opinion, even of yesterday, even of 10 minutes ago, because all opinions are relative. One lives in a field of influences, one is influenced by everyone one meets, everything is an exchange of influences, all opinions are derivative. Once you deal a new deck of cards, you've got a new deck of cards." — Peter Brook

Mythus
#79ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/1/04 at 10:52pm

CaTheatreGirl, I was just running to add that. I Am What I Am is an incredible Act One Finale. I don't know if Gary still walks up the aisle, but he did when I saw it, and...wow. It was absolutely incredible.

CaTheatreGirl Profile Photo
CaTheatreGirl
#80ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/1/04 at 11:12pm

Yes, he does walk up the aisle -- with conviction! Whoa! What a moment and the audience was silent as the lights came up. Nothing as ornately spectacular as a flying green witch or tumulting chandeleir, but quite a statement there!

#81ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/2/04 at 1:13am

For me...

Phantom: God, I just start tearing every time, right when "I gave you my music..." starts. Oh and the chandelier doesn't hurt either.

Les Miz: "One Day More" is such a great Act I finale because it's effectively encompasses each character's dilemma and sets up Act II. Lots of emotional impact too.

Wicked: Love "Defying Gravity"! First time I saw Idina hovering above and belting out her convictions, I had goosebumps and tears at the same time. It was like "you go, girl!". LOL!

~Rosalynn

mirandajrs Profile Photo
mirandajrs
#82ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/2/04 at 6:03am

Sweeney Todd (A Little Priest)
Gypsy (Everything's Coming Up Roses)
Les Mis (One Day More)
Hello Dolly (Before The Parade Passes By)

Edith 'Little Edie' Bouvier Beale: Do you think my costume looked all right for Brooks? I think he was a little amazed.

Sant
#83ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/2/04 at 9:32am

RAGTIME ("'Till We Reach That Day" is a stunnig number!)
WICKED
CHICAGO

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#84ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/2/04 at 9:55am

Les Miserables and Urinetown

When was Do You Hear the People Sing ever the act I finale for Les Miserables?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Jwaa
#85ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/2/04 at 3:46pm

Wicked

Rent

The Last Five Years (unique within the musical because its the only song they sing together in theory, so nice ACT I FINALE)

Der Glöckner von Notre Dame (i've never seen it but its pretty awesome on the soundtrack)

Bat Boy (i just love that 'comfort and joy' song, no biggy just a lil thing that gets me going)

Marie Christine (once again its not huge but leaves you soo eager to hear the next act)

John And Jen (not huge again -one person on stage- but very emotional)

(:s sorry, some of these wernt on broadway, are they valid?) Updated On: 12/2/04 at 03:46 PM

LilElphaba
#86ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/2/04 at 4:17pm

Wicked!!! DEFYING GRAVITY ROCKED when i was there! i know sometimes people say she didnt sing it like she did on the CD. but she did when i went

I LOVE SHOSHANA BEAN.

CJR
#87ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/2/04 at 4:22pm

For simplicity alone, I'd say Chicago. Gotta love Velma's riff on "all, that jaaaaaaazzzzzzz".... or if you're Roxane Carrasco, the wonder note with the vibrato that won't quit and gives you chills ACT I FINALE

I also quite enjoyed the Act I Finale of Bells Are Ringing.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#88ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/2/04 at 11:09pm

TITANIC! what could more dramatic than the entire cast hurtling helplessly toward an iceberg? this was a very emotional show for me, as it was the first one i ever saw on broadway.

RIP glebby <3

Bloodhound_of_Broadway
#89ACT I FINALE
Posted: 12/3/04 at 5:41pm

Hands down: "I Am What I Am" from "La Cage aux Folles". When Zaza pulls off her wig, throws it at Georges, and storms up the aisle and out of the theatre, well...all I can say is, anyone who isn't cheering and applauding must be really most sincerely dead.

La_Becca Profile Photo
La_Becca
#91ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/18/05 at 1:51am

RENT, Wicked, Aida

Hmmm. 3 of my favorite shows.

"Love is a many splendid thing, love lifts us up where we belong, all you need is love!"

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#92ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/18/05 at 2:00am

I always LOVED "Give Peace a Chance" in LENNON. But as for the best act one finale, RAGTIME most definitely gets my vote.

Updated On: 11/18/05 at 02:00 AM

DancNdaMoonlite Profile Photo
DancNdaMoonlite
#93ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/18/05 at 3:18pm

Top 3:
Rent
Wicked
Urinetown

worrell4077
#94ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/18/05 at 3:45pm

The Producers(Along Came Bialy)- with all the little old ladies and there walkers.

Monty Python's SpamAlot(Run Away!)- the French taunters are a great way to end Act One.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels(The Miracle)

All Shook Up(Can't Help Falling in Love)- I just love the song, and seeing everyone onstage during it.

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#95ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/18/05 at 3:48pm

I'll bite, My top 3

Wicked
Rent
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

SkierRob02 Profile Photo
SkierRob02
#96ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/18/05 at 4:00pm

Sweeney
Les Mis

"Theater is not only the meeting place of all the arts, but the return of art to life." -- Oscar Wilde

Flahooley Profile Photo
Flahooley
#97ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/18/05 at 4:44pm

SUNDAY from SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE. WOW!

hak Profile Photo
hak
#98ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/18/05 at 7:28pm

Wicked & LA CAGE

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#99ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/18/05 at 7:33pm

Call me class-less, but "Defying Gravity" from WICKED is a pretty damn insane Finale. I mean come on, there's a flying green girl, powerhouse singing (if you get the right Elphie), and so much energy coming from the stage.

I also like "Song of Love" from ONCE UPON A MATTRESS. There's so much action, and just total ridculousness, it's impossible to not love.

The PHANTOM chandelier has kinda lost its effect, because it is SO freaking SLOW. That thing crawls down to the stage, esp in the broadway production, and the excitment and sense of danger is gone.

grizzabella
#100ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:09am

There are so many really fine Act 1 finales it's difficult to choose. However, the ones that come immediately to mind, for me, are Into the Woods, La Cage Aux Folles, and 1776. They are all powerful, and all for completely different reasons. Dramatically, they life you into a different place. They make you see the world just a little bit differently than you did before. I think that's what makes them successful.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

Videos