Act I finales

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#0Act I finales
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:28pm

Which musical do you think has the best Act I finale? For me it's a tie between Phantom of the Opera and Wicked.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#1re: Act I finales
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:32pm

The Producers ("Along Came Bialy")
Beauty and the Beast ("If I Can't Love Her")

I can't really state, though, that they are the best Act I Finales of all time, though.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#2re: Act I finales
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:32pm

Sweeney Todd - hands down. IMO, it is the absolute, unchallanged, best musical ever written. It's brilliant in every way, shape, and form, and the ACT I Finale is incredible. I just love it! I seriously do not think it will ever be topped. It is a timeless tale that is told so magnificantly. Do I love it, or what?

Honorable mention would probably go to Les Miserables or Ragtime, for me! These, IMO, are the 2nd (Ragtime) and 3rd (Les Miz) best musicals ever written. It's still a sin that TLK won best musical over Ragtime. I lost all respect for the Tony Awards that year.

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#3re: Act I finales
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:35pm

i think Rent or Wicked.

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

#4re: Act I finales
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:37pm

love Rent's, wicked's is awesome, oklahoma's is really good too (the revival), but my all time favorite is 42nd Street. It leaves you wondering.."Oh no! What's going to happen, is the show going to close? oh boy!" hehe :)

FabalaCohen
#5re: Act I finales
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:38pm

Phantom, Les Miz, Rent, and Mamma Mia- yes, I think that was a good ending to the first act. (personal opinion of what I've seen)

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

MargoChanning
#6re: Act I finales
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:47pm

This thread comes up literally EVERY month (do a search and you'll find at least a dozen of them).

Anyway, I'm bored at work so......

Nothing comes close to GYPSY and DREAMGIRLS, IMO.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 11/23/04 at 03:47 PM

Yankeefan007
#7re: Act I finales
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:49pm

dracula, when he turns upside down

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#8re: Act I finales
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:54pm

Margo,

I agree...nothing comes close in terms of solo spots that bring down the curtain. But my heart belongs to an epic finale featuring an entire cast in turn of the century Swedish outfits and birch trees...A Weekend in the Country.

SUBLIME!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

BWayBoy88
#9re: Act I finales
Posted: 11/23/04 at 4:09pm

I love the Urinetown Act 1 finale.

#10re: Act I finales
Posted: 11/23/04 at 4:16pm

I agree Margo- try the search- but definitely Dreamgirls.

Gothampc
#11re: Act I finales
Posted: 11/23/04 at 4:40pm

Obviously not many of you saw Evita when it was on Broadway. And obviously this thread is a desperate cry to bring it back.

The Act I finale of Evita has the entire cast onstage singing "A New Argentina". There are crowds, there are torches, there are banners...there is excitement. The crowd is singing: "The voice of the people can not be and will not be and must not be denied." It was the best ensemble work ever.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#12re: Act I finales
Posted: 11/23/04 at 4:45pm

DREAMGIRLS

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#13ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 4:48pm

SWEENEY TODD, hands down.

You can't beat 'A Little Priest'

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

MargoChanning
#14ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 4:50pm

Gee, Priest I never would have guessed that that would be your pick ACT I FINALE

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#15ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 4:51pm

Priest,

You couldn't just once defy expectations and pick the Act 1 finale of HOW NOW, DOW JONES, could you?

NOT ONCE?????

ACT I FINALE

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#16ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 4:58pm

Sweeney Todd
Anyone Can Whistle
City of Angels

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#17ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 5:03pm

Really? I think the finale to Phantom is pretty anticlimactic (could that chandelier fall any slower?)

The best Act I finale is Les Miz's "One Day More". It brings all the characters onstage, it gets the audience on the edge of their seats about what is to come, and it's triumphant and thrilling.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

UptownGirl Profile Photo
UptownGirl
#18ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 5:05pm

Wicked and Rent.

"Learn how to laugh. Learn how to love. Learn how to live. That's my style." -Follies

M J R Profile Photo
M J R
#19ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 5:08pm

Can't believe I'm the first one (this time around) to mention RAGTIME.

EDIT: Also, PARADE's Act One finale is wonderful as well.

"High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man" - Tears for Fears
Updated On: 11/23/04 at 05:08 PM

StickToPriest
#20ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 5:09pm

*Sigh*

No show from the 90's to the present would probably even make my Top 20.

The only two that might would be THE PRODUCERS and RAGTIME.

geri loves wicked
#21ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 5:15pm

WICKED. it gave me chills!

Everybody's got the right to their dreams...

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#22ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 5:15pm

Really, "The Producers"?? I thought the Act I finale was pretty "meh."

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 11/23/04 at 05:15 PM

StickToPriest
#23ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 5:24pm

Well, I was thinking long and hard for another show from the 90's and on, besides RAGTIME, that even compared to shows before that.

And really, only RAGTIME even competes.

You're right. THE PRODUCERS really doesn't.

Allie
#24ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 5:26pm

Hello, Dolly! has a pretty great Act 1 ending! Before the parade passes by

Videos