pixeltracker

BKLYN matinee cancelled today....- Page 4

BKLYN matinee cancelled today....

Ruth Sherwood Profile Photo
Ruth Sherwood
#75re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:15pm

I have SEEN Brooklyn and Rent. The lyrics from Rent are inferior to those of Brooklyn. Let's look at the song "Raven" which I think someone mentioned earlier. "I'm going to fly like a raven in a sky of doves" to me, beats out lyrics like, "We're not gonna pay rent. Rent rent rent rent rent." The lyrics to Brooklyn don't make sense? I don't understand how you could say that unless you didn't see the show.

I don't want to argue over this because, frankly, it's been a long day, and we're never going to change eachother's minds. So I leave you with this, as Bill says in "All About Eve" (well, this may not be the exact wording as I haven't watched "All About Eve in some time), "It may not be theatre for you, but it's theatre for someone else."

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#76re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:15pm

oh c'mon even the crappiest song in rent is better than most of brooklyn

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#77re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:16pm

RENT is a Pulitzer Prize winning show.

BROOKLYN will be forgotten this time next year.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#78re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:17pm

Ruth: I was asking Vincent if he's seen Brooklyn. The lyrics from FLY LIKE A RAVEN absolutely do not make sense - and I have seen the show. The song is against what her character is saying the entire show, and the lyrics negate themselves. Terrible.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#79re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:19pm

Munk, I'm just glad that someone around here still has their sanity.

Ruth Sherwood
#80re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:24pm

M.E.F.- Personally, I don't see why Rent got the Pulitzer.

Munk- The lyrics to "Fly Like a Raven" do make sense because the character is coming to a realization. It's her 11 'o clock moment.

Again, I do not feel like arguing, as we will never change each other's minds. I understand Brooklyn, you don't. You understand Rent, I don't. So, again, I point out what Bill did in "All About Eve," It may not be theatre for you, but it's theatre for someone else. I think coming to that conclusion would be make far more sense than attempt to change the other person's mind.

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#81re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:28pm

Good evening all,
I'd like to just share my shilling 2 cents. This isn't inside information , just the heads up on what went on tonight. Both Ramona and Haneefah are very ill. They got one of the girls who I believe was an u/s in denver (who never went on there and was used to a different version of the show) to come in. Her name I believe was Remelda. Some might know her from BARE A POP OPERA. All i can say is I am so proud of this girl. She had not even 4 hours to learn the new track of Paradice. The show was sold out tonight with payed customers. Eden came out on stage to explain the situation to the audience and told them that She would have to be on book during the show (like city center actors) the audience then gave Remelda roaring applause. When she sang her 1st line in the show, they went nuts. They cut down a good portion of paradice's songs accept Raven. She was wonderful. I hope you all can see her in the future as I believe she is a new member to the company. It was really a wonderful night in the theater because that is what live theater is all about. Going on with the show. I honestly have to add that some of you who bash the show and are actors , probably could not learn something in 4 hours. You have to give THAT credit. The audience gave her a standing ovation at the end and she really deserved it!

munkustrap178
#82re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:29pm

Ditto...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

FosseBoi
#83re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:31pm

Ruth: You comparing those certin lyrics from RENT and BKLYN are almost the equivilent of comparing the word "the" from PHANTOM and the word "defy" from (I'm sorry! dont bash me for this!) WICKED!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#84re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:31pm

Thanks for the news, Amneris. Good for her!

munkustrap178
#85re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:34pm

Can you type the LIKE A RAVEN for me?

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#86re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:35pm

So...did anyone see "Remelda" I wasn't sure if Amneris saw her or just heard from someone else. Just wondered how things worked with her being on book...that's a real trooper.

BTW, I've seen a few earlier posts and wanted to comment. There shouldn't be any arguing that Eden can sing. You think they would cast her as the stand-by in the hottest show on Broadway..and THEN give her a lead on what many THOUGHT would be a hit?

Ruth Sherwood
#87re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:35pm

FosseBoi- I understand where you are coming from. I'm posting just to explain why I used those two songs. Someone mentioned "Raven" earlier, and "Rent" is the only song I can recall the lyrics of from "Rent."

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#88re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:39pm

It really bothers me when people on here get so judgemental. I understand that Brooklyn may not have the best book or lyrics. I won't argue with that. But some people enjoy it. Is it really necessary to constantly put it down and make snide comments about how it should close, about how terrible it is, etc.? If you don't like it, fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But maybe respect the fact that some people do like the show and that it means something to them. I wasn't even crazy about Brooklyn, but it just bothers me when some people are so insensitive. The comment about it being better than Rent did merit a response, but maybe cut down on the mean-spirited comments and, when appropriate, stick to logical reasons why you thought it lacked in certain areas instead of making general sweeping statements about its content. (This isn't directed towards anyone in particular, sorry for ranting).

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#89re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:40pm

Also, Kevin Anderson came back tonight.

munkustrap178
#90re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:42pm

Lyrics to RAVEN anyone?

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#91re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:44pm

Well said #1Elphie..people are way too judgemental. If the critics loved it...everyone else probably would too. Just seems like some people don't have their own opinions, so i definitely know how you feel.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#92re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:46pm

"If the critics loved it...everyone else probably would too."

No. Actually, theatre critics in NY are often quite wrong.
But they do know **** when they hear it. And so do we.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

munkustrap178
#93re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:47pm

No - people love WICKED and they didn't get good reviews. I hate THE PRODUCERS and they got raves. I loved TABOO (saw it 14 times,) and it got very negative reviews. That theory doesn't work with me.

Ruth Sherwood
#94re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:50pm

Munk- we actually agree about "The Producers" and "Taboo."

FosseBoi
#95re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:50pm

I DO have a positive thing to say! This will make you happy #1Elphie(btw I LOVE that name!). havnt seen the show so I dont know why "Raven" doesnt make since, but I kind of like that song. I do ,however, think that it could be better with some rewriting and someone else singing it. The commint about someone else singing it is because I care for the way she sings it on the CD. Maybe she sings it better live though.

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

munkustrap178
#96re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:56pm

The song has a pretty melody. The lyrics are horrendous. She sounded awful when I saw it - very nasal and ear piercing.

Cages or Wings
#97re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:58pm

Okay I have a problem. Someone did not say Rent is inferior to Brooklyn. You have got to be kidding me. I am not the biggest fan of Drew Lachey (edit: I realize this may be unrelated but because she said she didnt enjoy it, I think it may have to do with the cast) but to even compare Jonathan Larson's work to Brooklyn is an abomination.

Raven:

"Goliath was a giant..
Taught and mean
David was a sweetheart
Squeaky Clean
But it still takes two
To tell that story
So i'll play my part
And in all my glory

I'll fly.. like a raven
In a sky of doves
I'll make you love, to hate me
But that's still love
It's still love

Love is what i want
Love is what i need
You see beneath this suit of armor
I still bleed
I still bleed

He used to hold me like a flower
Kiss me, oh, so slow
And we talk about forever
But that was long ago

And now forever's just a place
In someone else's story
And though my heart still breaks
I'm gonna find my glory

And fly like a raven
In a sky of doves
I'll make you love to hate me
But that's altight because it's still love
It's still love

Love is what i want
Love is what is need
You see beneath this suit of armor
I still bleed
So i'll fly just like a raven
In a sky of doves
I'll make you love.. to hate me
But that's all still love
It's still love

Love is what i want!
Love is what i need!
You see beneath this suit of armor,
I still bleed!
Oh, I,
I, Still bleed.."

Lets take this song compared to the song "Rent". Rent sets the stage for much of the show introducing Joanne and her situation as production manager for maureen, the situation Mark and Roger are in (inability to pay benny as well as their respective artistic struggles) , Benny's position on all of this, as well as offering some great lyrics (it introduces more but im too tired). Some personal favorites of mine:

"Zoom in as they burn the past to the ground, And feel the heat of the future's glow"

"How can you connect in an age
Where strangers, landlords, lovers
Your own blood cells betray"

Both of which are at least as profound and deep as anything in Brooklyn. (AND "Rent" isn't even one of the show's best songs IMO [although i do love it])

Sorry for the Length but with the lyrics it was necessary. Updated On: 2/20/05 at 11:58 PM

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#98re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:59pm

i sorta remember her from BARE. she was really good. She played Virgin Mary right?

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

munkustrap178
#99re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/20/05 at 12:03am

Who played virgin mary??

Videos