Stage Door Egos

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#75re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 10:00am

I was surprised at how nice Jessica Lange was after THE GLASS MENAGERIE, especially after being told by many that she was very cold towards her fans at the stage door. Absolutely not. She was so sweet, signed everything, and spoke to everyone personally. A real class act.

LouW95
#76re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 10:05am

No matter what business or profession one is in, it is just wrong to be rude. There are many ways a performer with class can avoid being unkind at the stage door. Even if we dont agree about being obligated to meet fans, people who buy tickets are our customers and should be treated in a polite manner. It really isn't too much for a performer to tell a group of fans: "Sorry, I cant stop now".

BwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
#77re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 10:27am

MEF, I gotta say you broke my heart with your Maggie Smith story....I've been a huge fan of hers for years and it's sad that you had that experience with her - I always wondered what she'd be like at the stage door.. Still, I'm not going to judge her according to this.

I haven't really had bad experiences at stage doors. All the performers I've met were always extremely gracious to me - Donna Murphy stands out as she was a total sweetheart - but I can understand performers who don't want to do the whole stage door thing. It's also hard to judge according to one night...Who knows what happened on that particular day?
On the other hand, I know I was really dissappointed after Little Women, when Maureen M. went out the other door, even though it was only 3 people waiting for her, and we had waited for about 45 minutes...

"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "

melissa errico fan
#78re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 10:36am

Believe me, I was so dissapointed that Maggie Smith was like that. I have been a fan of hers for years. Still, I'll judge her on her extraordinary body of work and not on her behavior as a person.

And, yes, Donna Murphy is an absolute darling at the stage door.

broadwayguy2
#79re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 10:38am

the only problem with Donna Murphy is that in order to see her at a stage door, she had to show up for work and be on the stage beforehand.. now THAT she is what she has a problem with.

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#80re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 10:42am

Kevin Anderson and Cleavant Derricks were super nice at the BKLYN door.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

Feathah Profile Photo
Feathah
#81re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 10:52am

Okay, so maybe I am biased here because they are two my favorite performers - but I think two of the nicest performers I've met at a stage door are Terrence Mann and Eddie Izzard. Amazingly sweet. Especially Mann when I babbled about my undying admiration of his talent and he hugged me to shut me up. Ha.

That said - and I love Terrence Mann and that quote posted earlier - but I actually disagree with him! I love having the opportunity to meet my favorite performers. But if they are tired or not in the mood, they are under no obligation to put on a happy face and sign a Playbill or take a photo. It can be disappointing but you have to give them some grace.

Rudeness though. That irks me. Whether it's a performer or an everyday person on the street. There is far too much rude behavior in this world.

"The theater is my life. I live it. I breathe it. I fondle it till it falls asleep." Jack (Will And Grace) http://feathah.blogspot.com

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#82re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 11:02am

Of the people I met in march, everyone was really really sweet *who: Cary Shields, Kris Cusick, Karmine Alers,Kelly *from Rent* Saycon, JLT, David Ayers, Norbert Leo, Sherie Renee, John Lithgow, spamalot cast, Megan Mcginnis, Barrett Foa, some of the other men of Little Women, maybe some others*

Who i thought were shady, though can't judge: Colin Hanlon *was u/s for drew as Mark in Rent...* Kinda just walked by real quick like he didn't see us. And then signed our stuff and took pictures but didn't seem that happy about it. We thought he was great and told him so. but he was either shy/tired/ or just not friendly.

the guy who played Laurie in LW *i suck at names sometimes..that and I didn't meet him soo* he walked out of that stage door so quickly I wasn't sure who he was. i was like..."Uhh...GOOD JOB!!" and he kept walking like the wind. Doesn't mean he's a jerk, maybe he had to get somewhere important. Can't Judge!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

broadwayguy2
#83re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 11:25am

magic, of course they were nice. they were in shock that someone paid MONEY to see that wreck of a 'show'

starlight2
#84re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 11:43am

I agree that |Actors should come out the door, realizing they are still being "paid" to please the customers who just paid big bucks, but on occassion, I do understand one of them might be ill, have had a family crisis, be on medication, whatever, they are human. I REALLY like the way "Hairspray" does their signing. They set up the rope, then each performer that comes out is handed a pen by the stage door manager, if they do not have one, and they start at the end and sign all the way down! They are ALL nice and seem pleased to sign, but I do think some actors are surprised that you recognize them, especially if they are in the ensemble or really made-up like they are in this show with wigs and all.

Eponine Profile Photo
Eponine
#85re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 12:36pm

This isn't current, but when I went to see Into the Woods, I went to the stage door. Everyone was so pleasant and charming (specially the princes- heh...no pun intended) but when Vanessa Williams came out, she had her sharpie ready in her hand, signed maybe 10 autographs for the people on her right side. She was headed to her limo and some old ladies asked her to sign their posters so she asks, "Have you seen the show before?" they answer "Yes" and so she gets into her limo and leaves.
Updated On: 4/26/05 at 12:36 PM

Tesse Profile Photo
Tesse
#86re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 12:50pm

Starlight, I have to disagree. Once a waiter's shift is over, he is no longer expected to bring food or water to a table. Likewise, when an actor finishes performing and leaves a theatre, he is on his own time. It's very nice if he chooses to chat with fans and sign autographs, but he is in no way obligated to do so. Fans need to understand that they are cutting into a person's personal time, and accept it if said person does not want to share his time with them.

"I hate musicals... People don't sing in real life."
"Well, maybe they should."
--Kiss of the Spider Woman (cut line)

tagiunagi
#87re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:24pm

WOW! I didn't know Vanessa Williams was like that! That's awful!

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#88re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:36pm

broadwayguy2, I fully agree with you on that. I was just noting that the gentlemen in the show were great, while the ladies...not so much. I wouldn't list Eden, Ramona, or Karen on the super duper nice list. Though in Eden's defense, she was sick and there was a really obnoxious group of clingy/shrieky junior high girls annoying everyone around them, so I'm sure that was off-putting.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

starlight2
#89re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:44pm

Tesse, my feeling is that THIS attitude is what is wrong with many people in todays's society and businesses, compared to the American work ethic of the 50's. If you have a job, even if you are "off" a shift, if you work there and you see another waiter over- booked with tables and someone sitting there needing water or whatever, get your ass over there and serve them, even if you are on the way out the door. If you work in a department store and have just checked out, I do not care if you are on the clock or not, if a customer stops you and asks for help finding a product, show them! In the end what you pass on to others comes back to you two-fold. You are still representing a company or venue that pays you, and I would hope a person would have enough respect for their employer, themselves and the customer to go the extra mile....not every day, every time, we are human, but as a general habit. Broadway casts work their tails off 8 shows a week, but part of their job should remain that you promote the show whenever possible including signing playbills after the show for a few minutes, it's not like you have to go to dinner with the people and entertain them after you sign your name and say
"thanks for coming to the show, so glad you enjoyed it, or my character or I see you bought a souvenier t-shirt, I have one just like it" gees!!! Again, just my opinion, but I feel strongly about it!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#90re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:45pm

Joshua, how is Barbara Walsh rude for walking past you on her cellphone? She has a life, clearly she was doing something. That doesn't make her a bitch at all - people have lives.

I've met Harvey several times before, and he's been nothing but pleasant.

Sally Field was very cold, but not necessarily rude.

Liz McCartney at TABOO was never a treat.

Elizabeth Ashley stumbled right by us at the stage door and REEKED of alcohol. She practically fell into her car. Not rude, but funny.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#91re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:54pm

*standing ovation for starlight2*

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#92re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:02pm

I've met Maggie Smith and found her charming, even though she was going through the prolonged illness of her husband at that time. Maybe that situation, or something similar, was a factor in her stage door behavior.

melissa errico fan
#93re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:11pm

I did not know that, Chloe. Thank you for filling me in. I know that Judi Dench's husband died during the run, which was the central reason that it never came to New York. I'm sad to hear that her husband was going through a rough time health wise.

PS-both ladies are on Charlie Rose right now.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#94re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:14pm

Nicely said Starlight.
While there are days where stage performers surely have places to go, people to see, TV to watch,....on the other days, it wouldn't kill them to sign a few Playbills. I mean...there are a ton of people who would do anything for these jobs, including meet with fans after the show. Bway performers should be grateful that there are people waiting for them.....rahter then leaving in a huff and trying to get tickets for a better show.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

CJR
#95re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:33pm

Just want to agree with whomever it was praising Dixie Carter. She's one of the most pleasant, sweet, kind and enjoyable celebrities I've ever had the pleasure of working with.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#96re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:35pm

mef, I don't know if Maggie Smith's husband's illness coincided with the show you saw or not, but the main point is that everyone has very difficult times when it's hard to get through what you *have* to do, let alone go the extra mile.

I'm not sure a performers behavior towards fans is any particular way to judge them either. For some being terribly sweet is, I'm sure, a calculated career move. Joan Crawford was known for being extremely nice to her fans, but apparently wasn't so nice in her personal life.

I would bet that for some, that kind of attention is quite embarrassing, and they find it difficult to respond.

joeybiltmore1
#97re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:40pm

Wow - I really do see both sides of this. I guess the point I want to make is that we shouldn't think a performer is rude just because they walk by us if NOT asked for an autograph. I mean, are they supposed to just stand there and grin until someone asks? Those in smaller roles or in the chorus may feel embarrassed or "no one wants MY autograph, they're all waiting for the STAR star" and hurry by - not out of rudeness, but shyness. However, I am not excusing TRULY rude behavior of any kind, whether on the part of the actor or the part of the autograph seeker.

It should also be noted that MANY "autograph seekers" just turn right around and sell the Playbill on Ebay.

SWTaffy Profile Photo
SWTaffy
#98re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:47pm

I've never met Maggie Smith but I heard a story about her and I've liked her ever since.

My friend's friend was in Italy and she was talking to her mother on the phone and she walked by Maggie Smith. She then goes, "Mom, I just walked by Maggie Smith and she looked wonderful" then at that point Maggie Smith is behind her and say, "Why, thank you."

heehee.

on topic regarding Bklyn, Cleavant, I would say is nicest. He loves the crowd always talking and signing. He's ALWAYS friendly. Eden and Karen are always very nice. Kevin was very talkative. Ramona is nice, but she is definitely ready to go home when she done.

It's worth a shot/ :) www.freephotoiPods.com/?r=15009978

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#99re: Stage Door Egos
Posted: 4/26/05 at 3:14pm

Since when does buying a ticket to a show entitle someone to a "meet and greet" with the cast afterwards?

If some performers go above and beyond what is expected of them, that's GREAT. However, I'd never hold it against someone who "snuck out another exit" or wasn't engaging while they were signing.

From my own personal experiences, Greg Edelman is the nicest man in show business today. I felt like I was talking to an old friend the two times I've met him (after Wonderful Town and Into the Woods).

Videos