pixeltracker

Final Bows You Disagree With- Page 4

Final Bows You Disagree With

tagiunagi
#75re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/18/05 at 4:36am

Remind me to kick Nick when he gets back to the States!

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#76re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/18/05 at 12:36pm

I've always had mixed feelings about how "Into the Woods" does their curtain call. Does the witch really deserve the final bow? I always felt that the baker should get the final bow and the witch can have second to last.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#77re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/18/05 at 12:43pm

Reading the post about Hines bowing after Sid in ThePajama Game reminds me of one of my diva moments..LOL. I was playing Prez in the same show and had to bow in a group with Mae and Brenda. I was upset because I felt like my character at least deserved a solo bow somewhere during the curtain call. Oh well...I got over it re: Final Bows You Disagree With

When I directed a high school production of Little Shop I had the actors come out in groups or pairs and then take solo bows when applicable. Here is how I did it:
(1) Ensemble (since it was a high school production I needed to expand the show a tad so more students could participate and so I used them in Skid Row --a la the movie version-- and in smaller roles like the 1st Customer, Skip Snip, etc)
(2) The trio
(3) Mushnik and Orin came out together, took separate bows
(4) the voice of the plant and the puppeteer were together. The actor playing the voice bowed, walked to the plant, the puppeteer came out of the mouth and shook hands with him.
(5) Audrey and Seymour came out together. Audrey bowed first, then Seymour, then a bow together.
(6) Company bow
(7) motion to conductor/instumentalists
(8 final company bow

WHEW!!!

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#78re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/18/05 at 12:52pm

In Michael Bennett productions of DREAMGIRLS, Effie not only got the last bow...she also got a solo bow on an empty stage after the other performers had exited into the wings. I always thought it was a bit much.

MouseInfo
#79re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/18/05 at 1:12pm

Speaking of bows...why does young Cozette excluded from a bow in Les Mis?

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#80re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/18/05 at 1:13pm

Georges over Albin, they should bow together.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#81re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/18/05 at 5:31pm

Almost always since Young Cosette is used only in that one scene "Castle on a Cloud" the young actress goes home and catches some well deserved Zzzz's

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

#82re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 6:36pm

Norbert doesn't get the final bow in the DRS tour. He's the only one who got an entrance applause, and he got the loudest ovation at the curtain call. I'm not even a fan of Norberts, but I found it wrong that he won so much acclaim and a Tony Award for his performance, yet Hewitt takes the final bow to less enthusiastic applause. Updated On: 8/22/06 at 06:36 PM

neddyfrank2
#83re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 6:46pm

Can't Young Cosette wait it out? Gravoche does!

In ACL they don't really have bows, they just come out in the line one at a time, but I really think that Paul shouldn't be the first person to come out. I always thought he should be one of the last of the guys.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#84re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 7:37pm

Someone asked about "The Secret Garden"

The bowing order of the OBC was difficult to decide because Mandy Patakin's contract called for the final bow. He realized the applause would die down after Daisy Egan took her bow, so he and the directors negotiated and the two bowed together.

And I've always thought Dorothy kills the momentum of the curtain call by bowing last. 'Sure you were funny, but that Peggy danced her butt off!'

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

#85re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 7:42pm

The Little Women tour seems to have found a nice way around the Patinkin/Eagan problem. Kate Fisher takes the second to last bow, then McGovern takes the final bow, then she motions to Kate to take a tiny bow once again. That's how it probably should have been handled with The Secret Garden, but I guess it was up to Patinkin to relent and he obviously did not.

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#86re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 7:43pm

I had another problem with the order of the bows in DRS. Very, VERY, early in the previews Joanna G. and Greg J. would come out together, hand in hand. They then separated and Greg would take the first bow and then wave his hand out to Joanna, who would then take her bow. This (of course) was followed by the 3 leads. I thought that this worked really well, but it was soon changed. The way it went after that was Sara would come out, followed by Greg, and then Joanna. This always looked bad to me because Greg's part was so much bigger than Joanna's. It always made me think that Joanna was getting the second to the last bow simply because she was a 'star'. The old way looked much, much better.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

WickedGeek28
#87re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:21pm

Sweeney Todd Revival. I want Manoel to have the 3rd to last bow, followed by Patti then Michael.

Also, The Woman in White. I feel that Anne Catherick should get the 3rd to last bow, after all, she is the title character and the center of the show plot wise.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

neddyfrank2
#88re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:41pm

Who gets the 3rd to last bow in the Sweeney Revival?

Yankeefan007
#89re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:42pm

I believe Marc Jacoby gets it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#90re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:44pm

If I remember correctly. The bow order of the Sweeney revival was f*cked up in my opinion.

hortonhearsasam
#91re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 8:50pm

When I did The Pajama Game, the guy playing Hines got the last bow.

...?

And this had nothing to do with stars, because it was a teen theater group.

WickedGeek28
#92re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:03pm

Yes it was!!

Mark Joacoby and Alexander Gemingnani (spl?) come forward together and Mark bows last. Also, Mark gets third billing on the posters ala Joel Grey in Wicked. I always wanted Mano to get that too!

To Kill A Mockingbird

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#93re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:03pm

I don't like the Sweeney bow order either. In my book it's Sweeney, Lovett and Tobias should always be third.

I hated, hated, hated the way they did the bows in Little Women (tour). They all came dancing out and I didn't even realize that they were taking bows. Plus having Maureen take the final bow wasn't right, I'm sure she's a lovely lady, and yes she's a bigger name, but it is Jo's story.

Also I never agreed with the Thenardier's taking their bows after Marius and Cosette. It's a tricky situation with Les Mis. I personally think that Marius is the third biggest role in the show, and even though Cosette is one of the smaller leading roles, they should bow together. I once felt that Eponine and Marius should bow (together) right before Javert, and Fantine and Cosette (mother & daughter) should bow before them. But I don't think that's quite right now. Also the whole Enjorlas/Gavorche bow doesn't really thrill me.

LeoButz=LOVE Profile Photo
LeoButz=LOVE
#94re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:06pm

hi, i'm new here. i think the reason kristin was billed before idina is because chenoweth comes before menzel in the alphabet. when kristin left, idina's name appeared first because of jennifer laura THOMPSON. also....when i saw the tour, it was BLOCK before KASSENBAUM. i just always thought they did it alpabetical
Updated On: 8/22/06 at 09:06 PM

Mythus
#95re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 9:23pm

I'm not sure how I would change the order, but I think the bow order for Spamalot is a little weird. Christian Borle does way too much to bow second. When it was the original cast, it went:

Ensemble
Bedevere
Prince Herbert
Patsy
Galahad
Lady of the Lake
Lancelot
Robin
Arthur

And I think when Hank Azaria was gone, Lancelot's and the Lady of the Lake's bows were switched.

Ideally, I think it should go:

Bedevere
Patsy
Galahad
Prince Herbert
Lady of the Lake
Robin
Lancelot
Arthur

Ideally - for me, anyway - the Lady of the Lake would bow before Prince Herbert (five different roles he plays, come on), but then everyone would bitch and moan about how she should bow after. But she really doesn't do that much. If this was the Chicago version, where she has the Burn Her scene and the cow song added, I can see how she should have a later bow, but she really doesn't do tons.

thevolleyballer
#96re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 10:57pm

Personally, Arthur should bow after Robin, Lancelot, and Lady of the Lake. It may not be the case for Harry Groener, but for Tim Curry, it should have been. Honestly... Curry was just so, so horrible in the role. I hated how he got the top bid over Sara, David, and Hank.

I must say, though, I absolutely LOVE the way the bows are done in the L.A. production of "Curtains." Anyone who's seen the show, feel free to agree. :)

ILUVTOMG Profile Photo
ILUVTOMG
#97re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 10:57pm

I'm a big fan of the group bow. Just the entire cast, holding hands, stepping forward and bowing as a unit. but something tells me Ethel Merman would never have gone for that.

ashley0139
#98re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 11:03pm

It really irks me in the Little Women tour how McGovern takes the last bow. And when I saw it she didn't do the signal to Jo. It's just so obviously backward.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

#99re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 8/22/06 at 11:17pm

"JoMarch asked about "The Secret Garden"...
I believe the order on Bway went as such...
Chorus/Ensemble
Medlock and Ben together
Dickon and Martha together
Lily, Neville and Craven together
Colin
Mary "

I just finished a production of Secret Garden and our bows went as follows:

Ensemble
Shelleys & Winthrope
Holmes, Claire, Alice, Shaw, Wright
Rose, Albert
Colin, Martha, Dickon