Final Bows You Disagree With

JoMarch Profile Photo
JoMarch
#0Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/9/05 at 10:33pm

I know a lot of these bows happened because a more famous actor played the role first but they still don't make sense to me especially when they keep the bow order for future productions.

The Engineer bowing after Kim in Miss Saigon. Pffttt Whatever.
Neither Elphaba or Glinda getting an individual bow in Wicked. I know, I know. Chenoweth, Menzel... It must have been a sticky situation and they picked the safe choice.
Caldwell Cladwell bowing after Officer Lockstock. The applause always died down after Lockstock's bow and it embarrassed me.
What else? Does Annie get the last bow in Annie? Did they let Patinkin bow after Daisy Egan in Secret Garden?

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#1re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/9/05 at 10:36pm

The recent tour of 42nd STREET didn't give the gal playing Peggy Sawyer the last bow. Her performance was so amazing she deserved the final bow.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#3re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/9/05 at 10:53pm

not the final but the little shop tour bothers me a touch it goes;

urchins
plant voice
orin
mushnik
audrey
seymore

in my book it should be

urchins
mushnik
plant voice
orin
audrey
seymore

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

BwayTheatre11
#4re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/9/05 at 10:54pm

That is a physical issue...having to climb out of the plant and get back in.

CCM '10!

jonartdesigns
#5re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/9/05 at 10:56pm

well that being said, minimally mushnik and orin should be switched since the last 4 all have to get out of the plant suits

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#7re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/9/05 at 11:08pm

I have always thought that Fieryo should bow after the Wizard.

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#8re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/9/05 at 11:11pm

I'd personally say:
Mushnik
Plant Voice
Orin
Urchins
Audrey
Seymore

overthemoon419 Profile Photo
overthemoon419
#9re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/9/05 at 11:13pm

In ASU, i always feel like Natalie should bow last, not Chad. I love Cheyenne and everything, but to me the show circles around Natalie and she is the star.

"It's not for sissies, contrary to popular belief." - Tommy Tune, on musical theatre.

My avatar: Yummy, no?

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#11re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/9/05 at 11:16pm

I'd say:
Plant Voice
Urchins
Mushnik
Orin
Seymour
Audrey

bwayballerina
#12re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/9/05 at 11:17pm

When I saw the Little Shop tour, I was surprised that the urchins bowed first. To me, they seemed like a main focal point of the show. I would have had them after Mushnik and Orin, for sure.

#13re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/9/05 at 11:19pm

I agree with JoMarch on both... Kim should have bowed after the Engineer. I wouldn't really know because I never got to see the real [Lea Salonga] verison, but I love the show nonetheless. In perspective, Elphaba [Idina] probably should have bowed after Glinda because she does sing more songs than Glinda [Cheno] does... but I can DEFINITELY understand why they bow together, especially during the OBC run.
Updated On: 7/9/05 at 11:19 PM

jonartdesigns
#14re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/9/05 at 11:26pm

shneb28- the puppeteers and the puppet get the final bow so technically so thats where they fit in but orin should definatelys be before mushnik simply because he plays soooo many parts

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#15re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/9/05 at 11:28pm

When Lea Salonga came back to do MISS SAIGON in New York for 6 months in 1999, she was the last to take the bow at curtain call because, I guess, she was considered a "star" at that point in time. In her initial run in New York from 1991-1992, however, it was the Enigineer, played by both Jonathan Pryce and Francis Ruivivar (may he rest in peace), who took the final bows.

Salonga also took the final bow in SAIGON's Manila production and when she closed SAIGON in New York in 2001. As far as I know, Salonga is the only Kim that has the distinction of taking the final bow after whomever plays the Engineer.

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#16re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 12:05am

I know Wicked turns out be Elphaba's story, but I really think it was appropriate to have both Glinda and Elphaba come out together because the story is about two witches and their friendship.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#17re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 12:07am

As far as I'm concerned the Wizard and Morrible should bow together . Glinda and Elphie can come out together, but Elphaba should have the final bow.

Did they used to have the kid playing Tam have the final bow ever? The production I saw, Tam got to come running out at the very end. Not really a bow but still very cute, and it fit.

superstarjpp Profile Photo
superstarjpp
#18re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 12:10am

I agree with Wickedrocks, the final three to bow should be the Urchins, Audrey and Seymour. They all have the most songs and are integral parts of the story

tpdc
#19re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 12:23am

In ASU, Chad sets all the action in motion and figures in each plot. Lovely as Jenn Gambatese is, Cheyenne Jackson has star charisma and deserves his final bow.

CTY
#21re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 12:33am

i saw a production of ITW where the bakers wife bowed before jack, cinderella, little red, the baker, and the witch

i honestly think that she should get the last bow or a final bow with the baker, not the witch

jonartdesigns
#22re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 12:40am

out of wonder who gets the final bow in chicago on b'way?
in my production its set to be
the general ensemble
the tango girls
fred casely
sunshine
mama
amos
billy (me)
roxie and velma come out together, velma takes the last bow

AberJ01 Profile Photo
AberJ01
#23re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 1:04am

here's one that always got me, and it's really not about anything playing on broadway right now. i know the world is going to disagree with me on this one, but that's ok I gotta mention it anyway. i honestly don't think it would have bothered me if i didn't do this show myself last year, but my beef is with the play Pippin. I never understood why most of the productions I saw the Leading Player got top billing and the final bow. if you watch the DVD too you'll notice it too. i've never honestly understood why that is. I mean i know it says the word "Leading" in his character name, and he does narrate the show at certain times, but the show is called Pippin afterall, shouldn't Pippin have top billing? The character of Pippin not only has more stage time, but more songs and music, and alot more lines. back in the day i could see because it was Ben Vereen, and he's brillant, but when you compare the characters in my mind Pippin is alot more major, and i think it makes sense why.

Now, mind you I am slightly biased because like I said I played Pippin last year, but then again we did a joint bow at the end with me and the Leading Player together, sorta like the Elphaba and Glinda thing in Wicked, lol. But anyway, anyone got some feedback to the Pippin thing?

BroadwayNick Profile Photo
BroadwayNick
#24re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 1:08am

Should'nt Roxie get the last bow? It is her story!

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. --Dave Berry

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#25re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 1:09am

I think in Wicked it should go:

Ensemble
Chistery
Boq
Nessarose
Fiyero
Morrible
The Wizard
Glinda
Elphaba

Because Kristin was such a big star, Elphie and Glinda will always be now viewed as equals, when really Elphie should be the star of the whole show.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

jonartdesigns
#26re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 1:16am

BroadwayNick- the way i look at it its velma's show and she's telling roxie's story to the audience, she is the only character who addresses the audience directly and the way that all that jazz is staged (inspired by a tape or 2 of the braodway version) the ensemble and band seem to be waiting for her entrance to start the show

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#27re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 1:47am

Don't care who plays her--Elphaba should always get the final bow!

itsmeeeee Profile Photo
itsmeeeee
#28re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 2:04am

i think its roxie's show. Roxie has a big, long speech to the audience right before the song "roxie." i cant remember velma saying anything to the audience.

Videos