pixeltracker

Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a production.- Page 4

Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a production.

gymdudeva
#75re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/18/07 at 8:41pm

And 1200 people each taking "just one picture"...

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#76re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/18/07 at 8:47pm

I know there are exceptions to this, most notably, if you are invited backstage by a performer, you are allowed to take pictures (to a degree). I know this because someone did take a live movie of their experience backstage. (not me!) (I personally refuse to do the photo/autograph thing. I do talk to the artists in the shows, just don't do the other stuff. I have no issues with people who do, it's just not my thing.)
But, I do believe if you happen to be lucky enough to be invited backstage, you may take photos. (I was invited about 7 years ago, into a star's dressing room and did do photos then, before my photo/autograph days ended.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Jon
#77re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/18/07 at 8:52pm

Re: Museums - they say you can't take photos becasue the flash will haerm the paintings. But some don't let you take photos even if you don't use flash. The real reason: They make tons of money selling postcards at the museum gift shop.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#78re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/18/07 at 8:57pm

You cannot take photographs inside a theater because of copyright infringement laws. That and of course the distraction you are causing.

Also, we may take your camera from you for the purpose of deleting the photographs. Then you get it back.

There are professional video tapers who have lots of little secrets which keep them from getting caught. We do look in laps all the time, though. And little lights show up on many stage managers' monitors. We've caught several videotapers via the sm and/or cast.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#79re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/18/07 at 9:01pm

Is it just as bad to take pictures of lets say, the ceiling of a theatre, or the curtain before the show starts?

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#80re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/18/07 at 9:04pm

Probably not, but it's much easier to ban all photography than to figure out who really took the ceiling, or their friends, etc.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

LollyNYC
#81re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/28/07 at 2:43pm

I haven't read this whole thing yet but to the person who first posted -- it's actually against the law to take pictures inside a theater, or to have your cell phone on in the theater. You're questioning if it's legal for an usher to take away your phone -- 100% more legal than it is for you to be on your phone or taking a picture with it.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#83re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/28/07 at 3:00pm

If it is illegal, it is a big deal. The law is the law. Period.

Just give the world Love.

Fenchurch
#84re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/28/07 at 3:14pm

blah blah blah, the law is the law. That's fine to say, but just because laws are passed doesn't mean they are the right thing, or even the good thing, to do. Some laws are arbitrary, and some laws are ridiculous.

Rules were made to be broke. As evidenced by my grammar :)

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#85re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/28/07 at 3:17pm

I guess that means that Fenchurch doesnt mind everyone taking camera phone pics in the bathroom...

...anyone have a camera?

Smile, Fenchurch!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Updated On: 3/28/07 at 03:17 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#86re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/28/07 at 3:17pm

Well I hope you are just being sarcastic.

p.s.
#87re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/28/07 at 3:22pm

Mon Mar 5, 3:26 PM ET

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's oldest theater has installed equipment to block mobile phone signals in a desperate attempt to force patrons to stop taking calls during performances, Itar-Tass news agency reported on Thursday.

If it is illegal, it is a big deal. The law is the law.
Period.

I saw someone take a picture during the first act.
I grabbed him near the beginning of Act 2 but then I let him go.
I looked up at the stars.

p.s. Where's the bridge?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#88re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/28/07 at 4:12pm

It's wrong and it is against the law. I don't mean a rule that the theatres make I mean that NYC passed a law saying that you can't do that sort of thing. There was an issue when Footloose was playing a few years ago. Apperently they published some footloose merchendise with a photo of the show. However, the photo was taken illegally and the cast was pissed off. All of the photos you see in programs and all the video clips you see on websites like broadwayworld and broadway.com are done by professionals who are hired by the producerst to do these things. The actors are then paid for being in eiather the photos or the promo vidoes. But, it is far beyond the matter of money. The fact of the matter is that things like the set or curtian of the show are technically part of the show and taking photos of the actors are just as bad because A they can see you taking pictures of them and B your cell phone has a backlight and in a dark room it can be annoying to people around you. So just to take a quick picture wil involve you bothering others around you who want to enjoy the show. I was at a preformance of Rent where I was in SRO. There were these two teenybopper girls who wanted to take photos of Antonique Smith doing Out Tonight. I was standing right behind them and the beeping of their cell phones was bothering me. So, I told thme that they should put the phone away because it is against NYC law. They didn't care and said that there really wasn't anyone around to enforce the law. I told them that if they didn't put it away I would get an usher who would then kick them out of the theatre for breaking the law. I know that they wouldn't really get kicked out I just said that to get them to stop. But sitll you shouldn't do it it is annoying an illeagle. The ushers have every right to delete any photos you took inside the theatre. But, I have heard stories of people who have photos of themselves and their friends hanging around the city on the same memory card as their illeagle theatre photos. I have heard stories of people who had the photos of them with their friends hanging about new york city deleated as well as there theatre pictures. They should only delete the theatre pictures because those are not illeagle.

Also, when I saw phantom SO many people were taking photos of the auction set. I really was having trouble figuring out if I was at a broadway show or a photo shoot and to make matters worse, none of the ushers said anything. They acted as if it wasn't going on.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#89re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/28/07 at 5:18pm

When I saw History Boys, the announcer actually said it was a NYC law. I don't know why anyone would even question it. But...It's America...AMERICA!

queenbee2
#90re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/28/07 at 5:33pm

Law, policy or otherwise: I think it is very disrespectful to take pictures or make any kind of recordings of live theater without any kind of permission. In a way, you are stealing the work of the creators and actors. I don't think it's any different than those people who sell bootlegs of movies on the street corners of New York.

Go and enjoy the show. Take a picture and make a recording in your brain. Or, buy the souvenir program and cast recording.

-QB

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#92re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/29/07 at 12:24am

Except those bootlegs are illegal, and you shouldn't be buying them. So is taking a picture in a theatre, so you shouldn't be doing it.

Fen, what part of illegal do you not understand?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Fenchurch
#93re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/29/07 at 12:30am

What part of "spare me the righteousness" do you not understand?

You've never jaywalked? Littered? Taken up more than one seat on the subway? And if you say it's not the same thing because Im taking money out of some producer/actor/singers pockets, then I'll tell you that's a moral issue and has nothing whatsoever to do with the law.

If "the law is the law" then buying a bootleg off the street is just as illegal as jaywalking or putting your bag on the seat next to you on the subway.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#94re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/29/07 at 12:34am

Well then legal issues aside, Fen, it's just plain rude. Everything you are citing - just plain rude.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Fenchurch
#95re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/29/07 at 12:38am

I really dont see the rudeness in taking a discreet picture during a concert without a flash on a camera phone. And by discreet I mean no backlight and no disruption to anyone around you.

I am not for disrupting a performance, dont get me wrong.

Likewise I do not see the inherent rudeness in buying bootlegs off the street, ethically sketchy, yes. Politeness doesn't really enter into it.

wonderfulwizard11
#96re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro

Well, first of all, I haven't done any one those things. re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro

But, in any case, that is the same thing. When you know something is illegal, then why would you do it? That is just stupidity. If it is written on your ticket AND in your Playbill NOT to take pictures because it is illegal, then don't do it. It is that easy. I don't get why you would take a picture when you are told not to. If you really want photos from the show, but the frickin' program. Why do you feel YOU are allowed to break the rules?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#97re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro

Of course you don't.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Fenchurch
#98re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/29/07 at 12:42am

What I think is interesting is why you feel a need to follow all the rules all the time.

Sondheim said it better than I ever could in "Everybody Says Don't."

What if you were in the south in the 60's and you saw an African American using a "whites-only" restroom or drinking fountain. Would you narc on them because 'The Law is the Law?"

Answer me that question, seriousl.

wonderfulwizard11
#99re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/29/07 at 12:46am

"What if you were in the south in the 60's and you saw an African American using a "whites-only" restroom or drinking fountain. Would you narc on them because 'The Law is the Law?""

That is a RIDICULOUS comparison to make. The laws of that time were unjust, so, no I would'nt "narc" on them. However, I would tell an usher if someone was using a camera. Why? Because, those laws are not unjust. If the theatre management respectfully asks me TWICE in my Playbil and on the back of my ticket, then I would do it. It is not an unjust law, so you shoudl follow it.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#100re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/29/07 at 12:47am

...oh, never mind...

Updated On: 3/29/07 at 12:47 AM

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#101re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 3/29/07 at 1:07am

Think of it as visiting someone's house. If they didn't want you to do something, would you respect them and not do it, or would you just discount their request and do it anyway because you don't feel it's rude? Likewise, you are visiting a Broadway theatre, a "home" for a project, and those who are involved with the project make the rules. If I see you taking pictures, the rules state that I must stop you, and believe me, I will. I am a hardass usher, and you may not like it, but you're going to follow the rules.

Videos