pixeltracker

name a show no one knows- Page 4

name a show no one knows

WOSQ
#75re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/3/05 at 4:43pm

Truckload--which I am sorry to say, I missed. I remember that it closed in previews.

But tying into the scandal thread, Truckload was one of many shows produced by Adela Holzer who ran her Broadway productions practically as a Ponzi scheme. She would raise money for a show and use that money to pay the operating loses of the show that was currently running.

She went to jail for fraud--twice. Okay, its the American way to forgive once somebody does their time, but she did the same thing twice! And got caught and sent up the river twice! How dumb is that?

Adela Holzer was nearing the end of her second visit at Bedford Hills when Jean Harris who shot her no-account diet doctor boyfriend, came to stay. Adela befriended Mrs. Harris and then after she was sprung tried to peddle an inside prison portrait of her. I can't remember if she ever got it published. Adela came across as a real skank.

Adela was a real Broadway powerhouse for about 4-5 seasons in the 70s.

She was like The Producers, but for real.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

QueenS
#76re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/4/05 at 2:08pm

That is hysterical, WOSQ!

And worthy of being a show in and of itself.

Or at least a Lifetime movie.

Excuse me while I go buy the rights...

joanlegorreta Profile Photo
joanlegorreta
#77re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/4/05 at 2:21pm

There's an italian musical about the Flood (Bible), it was a big hit here in Mexico... Have you heard of it?

Mark in Oakland
#78re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/4/05 at 7:13pm

How about a dshort-lived musical titled"The Knife" starring Mandy Patinkin & Mary Elizabeth Mastantonio (Public Newman Theatre, 1987.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#79re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/4/05 at 11:59pm

The Wiremen

and

Closer to Heaven

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

#80re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 12:33am

Moby Dick the Musical
Wind in the Willows

peggyandvelma Profile Photo
peggyandvelma
#81re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 1:40am

The Medium--a musical I saw at a regional competition last year. I have a feeling it was never on Broadway...

Seventeen--also a musical. I think it was made in the 40s or 50s. This one I'm pretty sure was on Broadway.

No one is alone.

AnnaB Profile Photo
AnnaB
#82re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 2:03am

"Spurboard" by Nick Enright, anyone?

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#83re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 2:54am

Because Their Hearts Were Pure. It's an old-fashioned melodrama that my school is putting on right now.

tbrady
#84re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 4:27am

"The Faggot" by Al Carmines

roquat
#85re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 9:28am

BrdwyBnd25--the first show I played for was "Really Rosie"--have you ever heard Carole King's solo recording of the songs?

I forgot to mention a hideous Lionel Bart flop called "Twang!"--a kind of musical Robin Hood. It was so bad that the cast didn't want to go back out for the "megamix" chorus-of-reprises curtain call, and when they did, the audience was gone. I think the reviews consisted of one-word responses like "Thwack!" "Thud!" and "Splat!"

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

Bluejay2 Profile Photo
Bluejay2
#86re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 12:58pm

"There's an italian musical about the Flood (Bible), it was a big hit here in Mexico... Have you heard of it?"
Yup, I've seen it, well here in Italy was a huge hit, it's really funny. Over here there's also a production of Cannibal, I wonder how it will do.
well to name a show not really famous, I've seen a musical about the life of Valentino (the actor). It's lasted a couple of months and then it was cancelled.

AuditioningWaitress
#87re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 7:39pm

GROUNDHOG by Elizabeth Swados...Strange musical, but I remember liking it when I was a kid.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#88re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 8:45pm

hamlet the musical

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#89re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 8:45pm

hamlet the musical

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#90re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 10:17pm

Smoke on the Mountain
&
Its a Wonderful Life the mUsical - - worst show ever

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

rockfenris2005
#91re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 10:56pm

The Confidence Man by Jim Steinman and Ray Errol Fox. It recently got a cast album on Original Cast Records (with a celebrity cast). I'm working on a production of it too...

Its first performance, at Manhattan Theater Club, boasted a waitress who is now known as the famous actress Mary Steenburgen. There was a production at Queen's College in 1986, and another last year in Ohio by the Beechmont Players

Fabulous piece. I hear rumours that it could be coming to Off Broadway one day. I hope so.. because I think it's up there with Sunday in the Park

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

roquat
#92re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 11:08pm

Is that based on the Herman Melville novel of the same name?

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

roquat
#93re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/5/05 at 11:11pm

Do you mean "Hamlet, Cha, Cha, Cha" by Monk Ferris? The most heinous musical EVER?

rockfenris2005
#94re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/6/05 at 12:05am

Yes, it's based on the Melville novel. But not completely

It's more of a loose adaptation

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#95re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/6/05 at 12:32am

Floyd Collins?

I'm singing a song in a class right now from it called "How Glory Goes," and it's really beautiful... people may have heard a bit more about this one rather than some of them on this thread, but everyone in my class went "what show?" when the teachers told me that this was the song I was working on for this semester... re: name a show no one knows

that's a really big mic...

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#96re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/6/05 at 11:19am

I think a lot of people on here know Floyd Collins...

Confidence Man has some great songs in it, though I have no idea what the show looks like.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#97re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/6/05 at 11:21am

transcient days

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

rockfenris2005
#98re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/8/05 at 9:52pm

I have the script to The Confidence Man. Think of Showboat in a Brechtian show. It's a very interesting piece

bwayboi4life42 Profile Photo
bwayboi4life42
#99re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/8/05 at 10:03pm

Someone mentioned "Really Rosie" before. I think that was only Off-Broadway. I do like the show however.

I'm sure some of you have heard of these two. All Noel Coward fans better have heard of the first one!!!

1. "High Spirits"
2. "I Can Get it for you Wholesale"

"I believe that art does not exist only to entertain, but also to challenge one to think, to provoke, even to disturb, to engage in a constant search for the truth." - Barbra Streisand

Videos