pixeltracker

A White Black Guy In Hairspray?- Page 4

A White Black Guy In Hairspray?

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#75re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/3/06 at 4:24pm

Yeah, it's not universal. And some people just react out of...liberal guilt, or something like that. They don't think less of me, but their reaction to me changes. And that in and of itself IS a form of racism, because that reaction comes from a preconception about my people.

It's not everyone. But it happens to me. A lot. I've gotten used to it, though.

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#76re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 12:28am

I am curious who went on for Tracy, Prudy, and Sketch in the original post. Also who played "Tommy" and "Louie". I can't believe there were no female swings available. Both times that I have seen Hairspray on tour, I had a White Guy with Radio who did not appear in the record shop scenes. If Rashad Naylor went on for a Dynamite, would he dress as a woman or stay as a man?

I like Hairspray a lot and do find it ironic that a show dealing with race has trouble getting enough cast members of the requisite races. Surely the show is making enough money. If I remember correctly, there were no black swings in the original cast, just Josh Bergasse, Greg Graham, and Brooke Tansley. Willis White and Denosh Bennett were added later.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#77re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 12:39pm

i must disagree with "It's never an issue with Latinos. Because we know we come in all shapes, sizes, and skin colors. But white people tend to have preconceptions about ethnicity, so they're surprised to see a blonde, blue eyed Puerto Rican. "

I am Puerto Rican as well, and I feel that this issue IS the biggest problem facing latinos today. There is so much racism within our American created "ethnicity" that there is no real unity where maybe there should/could be. I dont know the answers, but please don't think there isn't hate or ignorance by the Latin population. Part of that assumption goes to the very route of the issue. Assuming things or making general statements hide the truth from people that need to see it.

WarnTheDuke Profile Photo
WarnTheDuke
#78re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 2:04pm

Misto,

Michelle Dowdy was Tracy, Lindsay Nicole Chambers was Prudy, and Bryan West was Sketch. There were no slips in the Playbill as to who was playing Tommy or the Radio Guy (Sorry I don't know the actual name, it's either Thad, Duane or Gilbert I believe).

NJgirl
#79re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 2:15pm

thanks for the update on who was who...
Bryan West only had a slip bc he's been on leave for like 2 weeks and just returned and the playbill probably wasn't updated yet.

The two male swings for HS are Joe Abraham and Jason Snow...my guess is it was those 2. Joe being on the shorter side with dark hair. Does that help?

broadwayguy2
#80re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 3:21pm

the show has 6 swings and 2 standbys.. they have 8 offstage cast members total.. that is quite a bit.. cometimes things happen and you have to improvise.... and they DO do that..... stranger things have happened at the Neil Simon....

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#81re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 3:41pm

Broadwayguy2, can you please tell me what songs and/or scenes (if any) were cut (according to an earlier post in this thread saying it happened).

Thanks.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#82re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 4:28pm

I think Gilbert is "Black Guy with Radio." I wonder where were Liz Larsen, Gretchen Beiber, and Michelle Kitrell that Lindsey Chambers had to go on as Prudy and no-one could cover for her as Tammy. Actually on Playbill Online, Liz and Michelle are not listed.

So did "Tommy" appear in all the places that Tammy would for Good Morning Baltimore and You Can't Stop the Beat etc.?

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

NJgirl
#83re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 6:16pm

Last time I saw the show when alot of people were out (Easter Sunday..so 3 weeks ago?)...Donna Vivino (Shelley) covered Prudy/Matron and Michelle Kittrell was on as Tammy and Gretchen Bieber went on as Shelley. Lindsay has covered Prudy/Matron before though as my friend caught her in that role one weekend mat late this winter. Seems like Lindsay or Donna step up to Prudy when Julie Halston is out. In this case it was probably easy to do Tommy for Tammy and put Lindsay on as Prudy then change Shelley as Shelley does alot more female specific things. Though I do wonder how they did the "Tammy lose the padding...you too Fender" I guess Tommy and Fender had the same idea...lol. Same with the girls in the purple outfits for the Ms Teenage Haispray contest as one of them is usually Tammy.....wonder how they covered it all...

I know Liz covered for Leah Hocking when she took leave to do another show for a few weeks...but that's it....
Updated On: 5/4/06 at 06:16 PM

WhenURScrap Profile Photo
WhenURScrap
#84re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 6:53pm

Wasn't Jesus black?

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#85re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 7:23pm

I didn't even think about the "padding" line! The purple outfits I was thinking of though. Did Tommy dress up as well? I seriously doubt it lol. I knew Lindsay covered the role- she has been doing so since the beginning of the national tour. I wonder how she is. Hollie Howard as Tammy understudied Penny and now Lindsay in the same role understudies her mom. True- Shelley has more feminine things to do, like the "Mama I'm A Big Girl Now" riff during the scene change.

When Michelle or Gretchen goes on for Tammy/Shelley etc., do their costumes look the same as the usual role or all they different? Like is Tammy still a blonde wig and orange dress and Shelley is in green. I guess Liz isn't really in the cast anymore.

NJgirl
#86re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 8:36pm

when Gretchen covered for Shelley on Easter...her costume and wig were identical to Donna Vivino's usual...the green sweater set and plaid skirt and dark wigs. Her Ms Teenage Hairspray dress may have been different though. When Michelle covered for Tammy on Easter, she had a blond wig...but it was more of a "beehive" style and different than Tammys usual hair style. She still had on the orangey flower print tank dress though. Her Ms Teenage HS dress was different than the usual Tammy one. Both of their "big doll hooker" outfits were different than the usual ones. When Donna was covering for Prudy that day...she had similar outfits...but not the same as Julie Halston. Same went for Joe Abraham who was on as Sketch. He had the traditional "blue Sketch sweater" in the one scene but the rest of his outfits seemed to be generic "nicest kid" plaid pants and sweater and shirt outfit and suit.

I heard Lindsay pulled off Prudy/Matron...I've just seen Donna do it and she was really good.

Joshua488
#87re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 10:11pm

I saw a performance with "Tommy" instead of "Tammy." It was when Marissa Jaret Winokur came back for a little while.

Do the eight offstage cast members receive any credit anywhere in the Playbill?

TheOneAndOnly
#88re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 11:27pm

I'm calling bull**** on whoever said that to be cast in HS you have to be "very" white or "very" black. Back in mid-2003 well before they started cutting corners, they cast Michael Longoria as a swing. The POSITIVE thing in his favor (and the company's) was that he convincingly could go swing on as a black record shop guy or white council member. He was often Tommy, Louie, (and of course Fender, IQ, etc), but also went on as Thad, Gilbert, and Duane. One of the only people who has ever played all those roles.

.LittleWing. 0224 Profile Photo
.LittleWing. 0224
#89re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/4/06 at 11:41pm

"I'm calling bull**** on whoever said that to be cast in HS you have to be "very" white or "very" black."

amen, TheOneAndOnly. amen.

DottieD'Luscia
#90re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 12:07am

Speaking of Hairspray, what is up with their website? It went from hairsprayonbroadway, to hairspraythemusical, and now you have to download macromedia in order to view the site.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#91re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 8:42am

How about a white, Jewish Mrs Meers?
Sorry, I could not resist.
re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Getting excited for Dick Scanlan's concert at Birdland.
Whoo!
Hoping he brings Harriet to sing "They Don't Know"
re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray? Updated On: 5/5/06 at 08:42 AM

HBG Profile Photo
HBG
#92re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 1:11pm

"I'm curious as to what songs/scenes were cut as a result of numerous people being out."

Dottie - No scenes or songs are EVER cut. They do, however, cut tracks when there aren't enough swings to cover. I've seen this quite a few times.

Tammy and Lou Ann aren't the only roles that are sometimes played by a Tommy or Louie. Shelley can be a Sammy. I think Brenda would be the only white ensemble girl that cannot be played by a man, unless someday it is possible for a man to get pregnant. re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?

Hairspray has 2 white female swings: Gretchen Bieber and normally Michelle Kittrell. Michelle, however, is on a leave of absence doing the Legally Blonde workshop, so Cameron Adams has been the other white female swing. Cameron, however, was not there on the day in question because of an injury. Julie Halston was also out, so Lindsay had to step in to play Prudy, plus Donna Vivino was out, leaving two white ensemble girls out and only one female swing to cover. Because Shelley does have a bigger part, it was better to replace Tammy with Tommy, which is what happened.

As far as a white swing playing one of the black ensemble characters, this only happens in scenes where they absolutely have to have a certain number of people there, otherwise they just cut tracks out. For example, Terita Redd's track (Lorraine) is usually cut when there are two black girl ensemble members out (since there is only one black female swing), and one of the white female swings will come in just for the finale to cover the track so that there are no missing dancers. The same thing happened here: obviously the black male swing (Abdul Latif) was out, or was covering another missing black male ensemble member, and they just didn't have enough to cover, but they needed to have a certain amount of people in the detention scene, and it wouldn't matter that he's white...he's just another guy in detention. Had the white guy been at the record shop, that would've been another story.

Just because they have one black swing for each gender and two white swings for each gender doesn't mean anything other than that there are more white characters in the show. Do the math, and you'll see that the white characters totally outnumber the black characters, which means that more white swings are needed. 99 times out of 100 having just the one black swing in each gender has been enough. So ozone20, don't take it so personally as some kind of Hairspray racism. Having more black swings is unnecessary most of the time and would not be cost effective.

Sorry for the long post!!

"Free from what, Tracy? Free from what?"

DottieD'Luscia
#93re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 1:36pm

HBG, thanks!

So has Sammy done the riff at the end of "Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now"?

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#94re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 2:20pm

"I am Puerto Rican as well, and I feel that this issue IS the biggest problem facing latinos today. There is so much racism within our American created "ethnicity" that there is no real unity where maybe there should/could be. I dont know the answers, but please don't think there isn't hate or ignorance by the Latin population. Part of that assumption goes to the very route of the issue. Assuming things or making general statements hide the truth from people that need to see it."

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that there ISN'T racism or ignorance among the Latino population. There is, of course!! What I meant to say is that, generally speaking, Latinos aren't surprised to learn that I'm Puerto Rican when they see me, even though I have blue eyes. Generally speaking, white people tend to make the assumption that all Latinos are "dark". But we're not.

But of course I agree with you. There is an abundance of racism within our community. Especially in Puerto Rico, where in the 2000 census, 80% of the population listed itself as "white". Historically speaking, there has been a constant denial of our African and Taino heritage, focusing instead on the European heritage. There's been a breakage from that in the past years, but it's still there.

HBG Profile Photo
HBG
#95re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 3:37pm

Dottie - I'm not sure but somehow I doubt it. One of the other ensemble girls would probably do it in that case. But that's why I think out of the three (Shelley, Lou Ann, & Tammy) that Shelley would be the last one that is replaced with a guy...I'm not so sure how that riff would sound with a guy singing it. re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?

"Free from what, Tracy? Free from what?"

DottieD'Luscia
#96re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 3:40pm

HBG, thanks again. You're the best!!

TheOneAndOnly
#97re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 3:40pm

If Sammy, Tommy, or Louie are in for Shelly, Tammy, or LouAnn (btw, there is a MUCH greater chance that they'll move the girls around so that a male swing is Tommy in for Tammy rather than Sammy in for Shelly), the guys are only around for large ensemble songs, the council role call, etc. They don't literally take the Shelly track...it's more just because they need that number of people for the role call and to fill the stage for big numbers.

They do NOT cut scenes or songs EVER. Even the one time that Shoshana was the ONLY girl in besides Amber and Brenda, (No LouAnn, no Tammy.) the only big thing 'cut' was the choreography during It Takes Two when the council girls slow dance with the council boys. Shoshana just looked longingly and toe-stepped by herself. (Pretty cute, actually.) During Cooties they made do, adding two guys on the white steps in place of two of the girls.

In the case where no girl is on as Shelly, whomever is most capable of doing the riff at the end of Mama (and also the ska-doolya-doolya-doo waaahh! in It's Hairspray) handles it. In some cases it is Brenda, sometimes Tammy, etc.
Updated On: 5/5/06 at 03:40 PM

Sandy in Sable Profile Photo
Sandy in Sable
#98re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 4:03pm

Going WAY back here... for the record, "wigger" is an unacceptable term and should be avoided at all costs. :) I was in the 7th grade when this word "took off" and to this day, I can't believe how casually and OFTEN it was used.

PJ
#99re: A White Black Guy In Hairspray?
Posted: 5/5/06 at 5:56pm

I was the one who said that things were cut a few weeks ago when there weren't enough people. I work at the Neil Simon, and I am just relaying what I was told by others there. If they're lying...okay.

Videos