pixeltracker

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast- Page 4

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#75re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:55pm

If it's an all-black cast for this show, then it's a "concept show," and you don't to worry about historical accuracy or appropriateness. There is an understood, known "theatrical perspective" before you even walk through the door.

Personally, I think it's a GREAT idea, and some of the names mentioned in this thread get me really excited about the possibilities.

I would LOVE to see James Earl Jones as Big Daddy, Mary Alice as Big Mama (reuniting the Tony-winning "Fences" stars) and Halle Berry as Maggie... hot! Or how about Phylicia Rashad as Big Mama? Or Charles S. Dutton as Big Daddy?

I have no doubt that a glittering "box office friendly" cast could be assembled for this... and it would probably be a big highlight of the season.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#76re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:59pm

"There is not difference between a black person and a white person except in the color of their skin"

I know what you mean by this Fenchurch, but really, there are many major differences when you take cultural backrounds into account.

being a racist free world is a wonderful, however quixotic view. there will always be different races of people, therefore there will always be racism. It will always exist, but the problem is not racism. the problem is ignorant people making ignorant statements like "the blacks have thier plays and we have ours." (I don't know what race tobesureof is, so who knows who that pronoun is including)

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 03:59 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#77re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:00pm

Will Bernie Telsey be casting this?

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#78re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:01pm

Telsey hates blacks.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#79re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:03pm

I thought he only hated black singers.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Jazzysuite82
AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#81re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:05pm

I love the idea of Charles S. Dutton as Big Daddy. While I'm sure James Earl Jones would be amazing, it just seems too predictable.

Tonya Pinkins would've been one hot bag of crazy as Maggie, and she probably would've been brilliant. I'd like to see Sanaa Lathan or Roslyn Ruff in the role.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#82re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:06pm

I was on a show Dutton was in. He's not fun. And loves to show up at about 7:58, with understudy in costume. I don't know how many producers would hire him.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

CurtainPullDowner
#83re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:07pm

How 'bout Jasmine Guy?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#84re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:08pm

Will the doorman be frisking her nightly?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

BSoBW2
#85re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:09pm

Just to create some more discussion:

If it's an all-black cast for this show, then it's a "concept show," and you don't to worry about historical accuracy or appropriateness. There is an understood, known "theatrical perspective" before you even walk through the door.

What if they did RAISIN with an all white cast as a "concept show."

I don't feel one way or the other about this (CAT), as long as the actors do their job.

Oh, and can we PLEASE all agree that it is spelled ridiculous. NOT rediculous.
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 04:09 PM

FindingNamo
#86re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:12pm

"I was on a show Dutton was in."

The visual this calls up is marvelous.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#87re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:13pm

I LOVE the idea of Mos Def as Brick. I've been really impressed by his acting in the past.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#89re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:15pm

BSoBW2, come now... let's not be radiculous.

And I'm still waiting for an all-white "I Am Not Misbehaving."

tobeveryafraidof---You did NOT just say "normal."

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 04:15 PM

BSoBW2
#90re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:19pm

BSoBW2 is right! They have their shows and we have our shows.

Don't make me a "we." I haven't been a "we" since my Bar Mitzvah. Surprise.

That's not even what I said. Man, you can't even twist words the right way. Please, don't get involved with politics.

b12 - sorry. But I think that is the most commonly misspelled word around here.

The new MOZILLA has a spell check as you go. Please consider it!

As long as Andre de Shields can do it, I'm there. (Oh, and Little Nell could take over for the other Nell.) Updated On: 1/4/07 at 04:19 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#91re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:19pm

That can play in rep with "Mother Rainey's Heavily Tanned Buttocks".

CurtainPullDowner
Kringas
#93re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:23pm

Why is it that the notion of all-black productions drives some people so nuts? Do the people who find this appalling really think we live in a world where the playing ground is equal for white and blacks? Is it really that difficult to grasp why there might be a call for an all-black Cat and not a call for an all white Raisin? And yes, I realize Raisin was a facetious example, but a lot of the responses on this thread are not.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

WalkOn
#94re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:25pm

I didn't know CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF was about race realtions?

I thought it was about latent homosexuality, bedroom politics and monetary avarice - Clearly topics african-american actors can't convey on stage! (for those of you too thick - I'm being facetious.)

Man, have I been reading it wrong!!!

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.

BSoBW2
#95re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:28pm

Just to clarify - my response to b12b was about the concept of "concept shows."

I know that it is still jarring for people to accept Norm Lewis in Les Mis. But, really...

I'm more against the idea of "all-white" or "all-black" for the sake of ownership. If the purpose is to find the underlaying themes in all of us - imagine a white Caroline (I'm being somewhat facetious here) - then I think it's acceptable. But if someone wants to reverse the races as a gimmick - I think it is extremely demeaning to the original work.
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 04:28 PM

MargoChanning
#97re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:36pm

tobesureof,

I just got off the phone with God and She wanted me to tell you that She will smite you if you continue to invoke Her name.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 04:36 PM

BSoBW2
#98re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:38pm

Yes, tobesure. I got your wonderful PMs.

There is no "we." There is no "them." It's just people.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#99re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:51pm

lol i love you Margo

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#100re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:55pm

Anybody else think this could be the next tenant at the Cort?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#101re: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF coming back to Broadway with all-black cast
Posted: 1/4/07 at 6:14pm

Denzel Washington - Brick
James Earl Jones - Big Daddy

Poster Emeritus

Videos