Tony Award Upsets?

Mattbrain
#75re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/3/07 at 7:01pm

Didn't see Marissa in Hairspray and never got the chance to see that revival of Gypsy but the cast recording of Gypsy is enough to convince me who deserved that Tony more.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#76re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/3/07 at 7:40pm

I think Miss Saigon losing was an upset. I believe it's an epic musical that deserved the Tony.

I knew that LaChanze was going to win. I told her so myself back in April of 2006. And I think Idina winning wasn't as much as an upset because of what she was/did for Wicked.

I do think that Thoroughly Modern Millie winning over Urinetown was an upset. I don't understand how a musical can win 'Best Score' & 'Best Book' and lose 'Best Musical'. The score & the book make up half the musical. The actors are only a quarter of the musical. The technical stuff is the final quarter. IMO.
I saw both Drowsy & Jersey Boys, and why Drowsy deserved the Tonys it won, I think Jersey Boys was the better musical.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#77re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/3/07 at 7:53pm

Ragtime not winning over The Lion King. That and Sweeney go down as the worst in my book.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#78re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/3/07 at 7:55pm

Not sure MISS SAIGON should have won...but Rogers' Follies winning truly was an upset.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#79re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/3/07 at 8:02pm

Will Roger's Follies was created by Broadway geniuses. Cy Coleman, Betty & Adolf Green, Peter Stone, and Tommy Tune. Not sure if it was the best overall show. BUT you can't go wrong with those creators. And Cy deserved to win for his wonderful score. Cy was brilliant.

#80re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/3/07 at 8:17pm

I love Cy--but I stand by what I say--the show comes off as as emotionally honest as a really bad tv commercial and is just SO MUCH and SO LOUD that it gives one (well me) a headache the way I doubt a real Ziegfeld Follies ever woulda... I enjoy abotu 3 songs in it but it's FAR from Cy's best score.

MusicandPassion I agree with you about the odd best musical but not best score/book thing though I think the director can play a big part there. not sure who won director that year

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#81re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/3/07 at 8:23pm

Tons over the years.... my top ten are...

1. Irving Berlin (CALL ME MADAM) winning best score over Frank Loesser (GUYS AND DOLLS)

2. REDHEAD winning best musical over FLOWER DRUM SONG. A weak season but FLOWER DRUM was a better show and score.

3. GYPSY not winning best muysical over SOUND OF MUSIC. (FIORELLO tied with MUSIC. Would have been better had it tied GYPSY)

4. Merman's Madame Rose losing to Martin's Maria Von Trapp.

5. Not allowing CANDIDE to run as Best Musical 1974. It was much re-written and altered from the 1956 version. At least teh book was nominated, and won.

6. Letting a plotless revue (AIN'T MISBEHAVIN', later JEROME ROBBINS BROADWAY) win "Best Musical."

7. Naming CONTACT a "best Musical" when it isn't a musical at all.

8. Allowing SUNSET BLVD to run uncontested in 1995. The awards for book and score should have been eliminated and any season when there are not 4 new musicals the Best Musical should either be not awarded or the revivals and musicals should compete head to head.

9. URINETOWN losing to MILLIE

10. Giving the award for Best Book of a musical to CATS. (DO they not know by now what a book is???)

While not an upset, GRAND HOTEL was in many ways a superior show to CITY OF ANGELS (Which is alsoa pretty terrific show.)

AVE Q's win was expected. It opened to rave reviews. WICKED got mixed reviews and a lot of outright pans. Contrary to myth, the Tonys do not (usually) reward a show just because it is big box office. I suspect manyy voters felt that LION KING had more overall entertainment value. Maybe they are right. (It didn't for me.) But it was hardly a case of just voting the award to to the bigger hit. Still, RAGTIME was a better show and should have won. I think.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

istillbelieve24601 Profile Photo
istillbelieve24601
#82re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:05am

One upset that always made me mad was the fact that Into the Woods lost the Best Musical Tony to Phantom in 1988 (I believe, sorry if my dates are screwed up...) I'm so glad Avenue Q won in '03- if Wicked had won, it would have been a repeat of the Into the Woods- Phantom incident.

Cosette: Roses are red. Marius: Violets are blue. Eponine: You're so in love! Marius: And so not with you.

ShowtuneRick
#83re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:30am

I thought Bernadette was going to win over Marissa (sp?)
Was surprised when Ragtime lost the Tony to Lion King.
Also, I expected Drowsy to win over J. Boys.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#84re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:37am

I did, too, because she's Bernadette Peters. However, her reviews and performance were far more controversial, even mixed.
(Not saying I agree with it, but that's what I've come to understand about that win.)
Upset? In my opinion, yes.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#85re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 8:45pm

ljay - see, the issue here is I just don't care. :)

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#86re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 8:49pm

Sorry, It's natural instinct for me to stick up for shows by Cy Coleman.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#87re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 8:50pm

I'm looking forward to reading this thread on Sunday evening, June 10...

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#88re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 8:50pm

D2, I couldn't agree more

#89re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:05pm

Mark some great points! :

"
2. REDHEAD winning best musical over FLOWER DRUM SONG. A weak season but FLOWER DRUM was a better show and score.

"

Agreed - FDSong is a dated show but I actually prefer it to SOund of Music in some ways and I think the score is very strong--Redhead's isn't at all. That said many were really striken with how Redhead was staged--especially the long Bob Fosse numbers (the Wax Museum 20 minute ballet etc)--while few talk about the FDSong staging (the 20 minute segment from it I have on Ed Sullivan is underwhelming especially teh choreography) so maybe that played a part

"6. Letting a plotless revue (AIN'T MISBEHAVIN', later JEROME ROBBINS BROADWAY) win "Best Musical."
"
Damn right! Smoky Joe's being nominated and Fosse winnign count here too as much as I *loved* Fosse and woulda loved ot have seen Jerome Robbins Broadway. In those cases it seems particularly unfair--take the most famous numbers form some of the most famous shows ever back to back--hwo can anythign else compete?

"

7. Naming CONTACT a "best Musical" when it isn't a musical at all.
"

Was Fosse's Dancin' eligible for a Tony? but yeah... as much as I love Contact.
"
8. Allowing SUNSET BLVD to run uncontested in 1995. The awards for book and score should have
"

That was beyond bizarre and a joke. I actually like Sunset Blvd (mor eor less) though I know you don't but still... It makes the whole awards seem even more of a joke than they are re: Tony Award Upsets?

E

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#90re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:08pm

I'm still sticking with Sherie Rene Scott getting snubbed a nomination and possibly a win for her role as Amneris! As well as I'm sure if Aida was nominated, it could have won!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#91re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:18pm

"6. Letting a plotless revue (AIN'T MISBEHAVIN', later JEROME ROBBINS BROADWAY) win "Best Musical."

Out of curiosity, what would you have picked for the year Jerome Robbins Broadway won? Because it seems like that was a really sparse year (the other two nominees being Starmites and Blck and Blue).

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#92re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:42pm

Jersey Boys winning over Drowsy Chaperone really pissed a lot of people off. I yelled out “What the F*&K” when Sweeney lost. I think that Brokeback Mountain: The Musical is going to beat Spring Awakening for sure.
Updated On: 4/4/07 at 09:42 PM

#93re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 1:17am

1958 The Music Man over West Side Story.

MargoChanning
#94re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 1:38am

JEROME ROBBINS' BROADWAY was really the ONLY choice that year. BLACK & BLUE was a rather by-the-numbers revue (with some wonderful ladies at the center) and STARMITES was ..... well, STARMITES -- an odd little show that had it somehow been the top contender that year, the Tony Administration committee would have eliminated the Best Musical catgory altogether rather than allow it to be receive the award. JRB was a stunning, dazzling evening of entertainment that was a true celebration of Broadway at its finest and a salute to one of its greatest geniuses. While, yes, it was simply a recreation of some of the seminal highlights of Broadway history (though Robbins did create a new WEST SIDE STORY suite which seemlessly encompassed several of the best moments of that show), it was nonetheless one of the most thrilling theatrical events I've ever seen and I think it fully deserved its Tony.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#95re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 1:47am

Margo, didn't JEROME ROBBINS' BROADWAY also featured some "new" material, or was it only "Mr.Monotony"? Was Debbie Gravitte's performance of that one song as showstopping as to say that it won her the Tony?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

MargoChanning
#96re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 2:01am

That's true, now that you mention it. I believe Robbins included a couple of numbers which had been cut out of town and had never been seen on Broadway. And Gravitte (then Shapiro) was a real standout. She had the best voice in the cast and made a memorable impression in several numbers.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

#97re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 2:19am

What was Mr Monotony?

I've also always wodnered what Starmites is--I think I have it mixed in my head with the inexplicably huge Quebecois/French musical Starmania...

One year no one's mentioned so far--1966 Man of La Mancha winning all the major awards (book, score, musical and director) over Sweet Charity not getting one. It helps of course that Mancha is one show I, and I have nor eal good reason, *despise*

#98re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 2:23am

By the same token I've also never gotten the appeal of 1776 at all (though I don't hate it the way I do Mancha) and it sweeped the awards in 1969 winning best musical over three shows I *love8 and much prefer--Hair, Promises Promises and Zorba. It also won best director (best choreographer went to Layton for George M which apparantlyw as deserved as good as Bennett's work for Promises was and Fields' for Zorba).

The Tony site doesn't say who won the best score tony that year (anyone?) but again I would give it to any fo those three shows before 1776

MargoChanning
#99re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 2:54am

It's all about personal taste. I personally adore 1776 (one of my top ten or so favorite shows) and Man of La Mancha and am glad they won.

The year 1776 won, the was no separate award for Best Score or Book, so instead Peter Stone and Sherman Edwards (the book writer and composer, respectively) were given the Best Musical prize. It was considered to be something of a miraculous achievement for the creative team to have taken such seemingly dry and unmusical a subject matter (that everyone in the audience knew from their school days and as such knew how it all turned out in the end) and made it into such a witty, entertaining, suspenseful and profound piece of entertainment. Hair was entirely too controversial to ever be seen as a serious challenge for Best Musical (many many Tony voters -- being of the older generation -- absolutely DETESTED the show). Promises, Promises was thought of as a fun light piece of entertainment with some fine performances and choreography (though the Bacharach-David light rock score too was also rather controversial with the rank and file of the Tony voters). Zorba was seen as a minor work, not up to either Kander & Ebb or Joe Stein's previous efforts (Cabaret and Fiddler) and was probably never even in the running.

The original staging of La Mancha was extremely powerful and effective -- those who only know the completely misguided revival production with Mitchell have no idea what a moving and beautiful show it can be. The general consensus that season was that La Mancha was unique artistic achievement while Sweet Charity was a rather perfunctory "tired businessman's show" that was elevated only by the inventive gifts of Verdon and Fosse. Even the score was undervalued at the time and only much later began to be appreciated as one of Cy Coleman's best efforts. Mame actually was probably La Mancha's biggest competition that season. It was a huge hit that I'm sure got its share of votes, but ultimately La Mancha was seen as the better show.

"Mr. Monotony" was a song cut from the Irving Berlin show "Mr. President" that was re-inserted into Jerome Robbins' Broadway and was a highlight.

Videos