Tony Award Upsets?

Faigs Profile Photo
Faigs
#1Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:03pm

Just thought it would be interesting... What were some of the upsets at previous Tony Awards that you can recount? What were some of the surprises that you were happy/angry about? Recently, I know that people didn't expect Avenue Q to win Best Musical - what are others you can think of...

rentgal589
#2re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:04pm

Avenue Q winning best musical is what I thought of as well, right away.

Rentgal589 is soon to be under new management.
Updated On: 4/2/07 at 07:04 PM

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#2re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:04pm

Would Bernadette losing count as an upset?

yankee_fan907 Profile Photo
yankee_fan907
#3re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:05pm

Avenue Q winning over Wicked was the first one I thought of when I read your thread's title actually... Haha

DISCLAIMER: I am not an obsessed fangirl or homosexul male (neither of which I hold any negative feelings towards of course), so please don't attack me! Thanks :)

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#4re: Tony Award Upsets?

Yes I think it would

Sweney Todd not winning best revival would count I think

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#5re: Tony Award Upsets?

This isn't a winning one, but more a nomination upset and to me that was when Aida wasn't nominated for Best Musical..In my opinion it was one of the best that season and another was Sherie Rene Scott not being nominated for her role as Amneris, I mean she made that show!

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#6re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:06pm

Two Gentlemen of Verona to be mentioned in 5...4...3...

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:07pm

^ The critics basically slaughtered AIDA, didn't they? No chance in hell it was going to get a Best Musical Nod.

SWEENEY TOOD not winning last year, definitely counts.

Bernadette losing for Mama of course counts.

People expected WICKED to win, but many of feel it didn't deserve to win, and it didn't.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#8re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:09pm

It was pretty abused by critics, but please picking Wild Party or Swing over it? And the critics thought Sherie was awesome in the show so I don't see how she didn't get a nom.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#9re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:13pm

Two Gentlemen of Verona over Follies (Happy Smaxie?).

PJ Game over Sweeney.

Would Nine over Dreamgirls be considered an upset?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#10re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:14pm

Did you really just say that AIDA should have been nominated for a Tony over WILD PARTY? *Sigh*

Weren't Christine Ebersole's 42ND STREET and Donna Murphy's THE KING AND I wins considered upsets in their respective years?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#11re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:19pm

Either Wild Party or Swing! And yes I would consider Dreamgirls losing to Nine an upset.
Updated On: 4/2/07 at 07:19 PM

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#12re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:20pm

sorry but both were better than Aida

buddharich
#13re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:49pm

Maybe it wasn't an upset but it surprised me, and that was just last year, when LaChanze won over Patti Lu and Sutton Foster and Kelli O'Hara... it was one of only 2 of my predictions that didn't win (the other was Ian McDiarmid)...

Titanic winning best musical shocked me as well...

WayWicked
#14re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:58pm

When Curtins wins Best Musical over SA.

Happy Happy Joy Joy

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#15re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 7:59pm

Alright so Swing! is awesome and deserved a nom.......but I don't know much about Wild Party so I just thought that Aida should have been nominated...

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#16re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 8:00pm

Curtains winning would be anything BUT an upset. It would be an upset if Grey Gardens won.

Forgot about Patti last year. She should've won.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#17re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 8:01pm

Sweeney Todd not winning best revival. I was watching and went "What the hell?" out loud.
Updated On: 4/2/07 at 08:01 PM

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#18re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 8:19pm

You mean not winning best revival? re: Tony Award Upsets?

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#19re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 8:25pm

Avenue Q winning over Wicked
Spamalot winning over Light in the Piazza
Pajama Game winning over Sweeney Todd

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

Elphie4ever Profile Photo
Elphie4ever
#20re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 8:28pm

Avenue Q unfortuntely stealing the tony away from Wicked.
>_>

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#21re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 8:31pm

When Curtins wins Best Musical over SA.

CURTINS will never win over SA. CURTAINS, however, might. re: Tony Award Upsets?

And Patti may have been spectacular in SWEENEY TODD (I don't know, I didn't see her, I saw Judy Kaye) but come on, nobody saw La Chanze winning? That was the one award that always seemed a lock, at least to me.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

glimpseofstocking Profile Photo
glimpseofstocking
#22re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 8:45pm

^So true, D2 (Hah, that rhymes). I remember yelling a few choice words at my TV set when La Chanze won.

There wouldn't be lights bright enough!
Updated On: 4/2/07 at 08:45 PM

ashley0139
#23re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 9:32pm

Alright so Swing! is awesome and deserved a nom.......but I don't know much about Wild Party so I just thought that Aida should have been nominated...

So because you don't know about it it shouldn't have been nominated? There's logical sense for you. Wild Party is, in my opinion, brilliant. Although I think both Aida and WP were decimated by the critics.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#24re: Tony Award Upsets?
Posted: 4/2/07 at 9:34pm

No I just didn't know how good it was so I was just saying it would have been nice to see Aida nominated, but I can see that it wasn't because of the critics
Updated On: 4/2/07 at 09:34 PM

Videos