News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!- Page 4

Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!

Yankeefan007
#75Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 9:00am

Welcome Elisabeth Vincentelli. That was a wonderful first column.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#76Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 9:09am

I don't think this anything to do with a "rush" job. It's just a bad job.

Who would think that GUYS AND DOLLS would NEED an out of town run? They had a decent preview run here...seems like they weren't interested in changing anything.

I know people keep saying that since it's been selling well, that these bad reviews might not make a big difference....but I think it will hurt the upcoming sales. Folks are being so much more careful with the money they spend.

I have to admit, I was only minimally interested in this to begin with....and it never quite made it onto my "wanna-see" list. Now it's moved onto my "don't-wanna-see" list.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Yankeefan007
#77Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 9:15am

Everything mentioned in the reviews (the problems with Runyon, the sets that dwarf the actors; the marquees that dwarf the sets; Oliver Platt's lack of charisma; Lauren Graham's stilted line delivery; Mary Testa's inappropriate scene chewing) have been pointed out from the beginning, both here and on ATC.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#78Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 9:42am

Ouch Ouch ouch

Ive not seen the production so cant comment but i love Guys and Dolls, how the hell did they get it so wrong?

They should have just taken our UK production of the show over as planned.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#79Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 10:47am

Sadly the Donmar sets are down in Australia on what was billed as a "pre-Broadway" tour. Maybe if there wasn't so much pressure to bring the show back, this trainwreck wouldn't have happened and the Donmar production could've come in around Fall 2009. Oh well, opportunity missed Not a review, just my thoughts...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#80Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 10:52am

What do you mean by "pressure" to bring the show back? (Not being snarky....just curious.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#81Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 10:57am

I think that since the Donmar production opened in 2005, there has definitely been a renewed interest in reviving the show on Broadway. Would you agree?

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#82Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 10:59am

I don't know about that. When this revival was first announced, the first thing I thought was, "Why?"

Yeah, there were whisperings about getting the Donmar production transferred, but not anything more.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#84Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 11:06am

Thoughts on a closing date? Is the show's name big enough to keep it around at least until Tony season?

PiraguaGuy2
#85Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 11:10am

You know how much money this show's making in this economy? It's not going anywhere because Brantley didn't like it.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

EnWashingtonHeights Profile Photo
EnWashingtonHeights
#86Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 12:12pm

http://www.broadway.com/Guys-and-Dolls/broadway_reviews/5022338

word of m

videos of LBAL and sit down yrtb

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#87Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 12:21pm

Wow ... who would think this show would get a rave? Yes it's broadway.com, but still ... how?

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#89Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 12:33pm

^^^^^^
Does anyone else think Barbara in that Word of Mouth video seems a little drunk?

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#90Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 12:35pm

I highly doubt GUYS & DOLLS will lose much, regardless of the terrible reviews.

It's still a household title. Tourists will eat it up (and then spit it out after they've seen it).

jamoca5 Profile Photo
jamoca5
#91Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 12:43pm

"there's not a bad seat in the house" -Fred from WoM

I beg to differ. I sat in the right side of the orchestra and the view was terrible, at least for that production. I believe with the bright neon lights the only place to see this is from the mezzanine.

Personally, I wasn't really impressed with this, but like someone said, Guys & Dolls is still a popular show, so it most likely won't lose much money.

~Ash was here

Past 12 Months On Stage:

24 Hour Plays: Otawri (Other Black Woman, 9/11), Hairspray (Shayna, 11/18-21) Twelve Angry Men (5th Juror, 12/9-11), Wilson Winter One-Acts: Mannequins (Bloomingdales Salesperson, 2/11-12), Twelfth Night (Maria, 3/24-26), 30 Plays in 60 Minutes (Various Roles, 6/4), Ragtime (Sarah, 8/11-13)

Current Avatar: Me looking quite sleepy. This shot gives you a nice view of my various posters: ITH, Hair, The Lion King, the list goes on...

PiraguaGuy2
#92Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 12:46pm

Wow ... who would think this show would get a rave? Yes it's broadway.com, but still ... how?

Ahem...

it's broadway.com

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

willep
#93Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 12:54pm

Why can't anyone give us a clip of Lauren Graham singing??

Ed_Mottershead
#94Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 12:55pm

Two comments. I was at the Saturday matinee, sitting next to a middle-aged woman. She was with her two sons (both adults) and told me this was the first Broadway show they'd ever seen, even though the sons live in NYC. I think we've lost two Broadway theatregoers for life.

Also, this is the first time that I can recall a show's bad review making the first page of the Post -- and in a screaming headlline. Does anyone know of any other show's having faced this humiliation?

BroadwayEd

Ed_Mottershead
#95Not a review, just my thoughts...

Two comments. I was at the Saturday matinee, sitting next to a middle-aged woman. She was with her two sons (both adults) and told me this was the first Broadway show they'd ever seen, even though the sons live in NYC. I think we've lost two Broadway theatregoers for life.

Also, this is the first time that I can recall a show's bad review making the first page of the Post -- and in a screaming headlline. Does anyone know of any other show's having faced this humiliation?

BroadwayEd

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#96Not a review, just my thoughts...

Channel Four News gave it an out and out rave. They said it was the best revival of GUYS AND DOLLS ever and loved, loved, loved both Graham and Platt.

Um...what show did they see and where can I get tickets for it?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#97Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:06pm

PS: Oh. My. God. Barbara is wasted in the WORD OF MOUTH review. HYSTERICAL!!

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#98Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:07pm

One of the comments that surprised me from the reviewers is the Bierko and Grant have little or no chemistry. I have heard people on this site who saw the show say the exact opposite....that Graham and Platt have no chemistry (shocking) but Bierko and Grant ooze chemistry. I guess to each his own!

I have never seen a professional production of this show (only a so so high school production.) But I am still excited to see this. I love the music and the book so I am going in optimistic.

I never agree with the critics anyway. Let's hope by April it has gotten stronger!!!!

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#99Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 1:59pm

Does anyone else think Barbara in that Word of Mouth video seems a little drunk?

YES. She seems totally wasted and I love it. World of Mouth always needs at least one mildly interesting person. Last year, it was the girl who ragged on Crybaby and Glory Days in the best way possible.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

Videos