pixeltracker

Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?- Page 5

Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?

kryst22 Profile Photo
kryst22
#100re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/24/09 at 11:42pm

hey blaxx.. does it have something to do with someone who was, in theory, present for most of the show but doesn't independently move until the last number?

or another part of the epilogue? you can PM as I didn't see the original production but could maybe figure out what you're talking about

*checks for a spoiler, finds none, pats back*

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#101re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/24/09 at 11:49pm

It is concerning Father's reaction after "Make them Hear You". It was melodramatic and over the top. I laughed. I hope this production is different.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#102re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/24/09 at 11:54pm

I saw the original production, and I literally don't remember Father's reaction. They changed the rhythm of one of the line readings that Father has after that song, because in DC it was getting a lot of laughs, when it really shouldn't have been.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#103re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:08am

hey blaxx.. does it have something to do with someone who was, in theory, present for most of the show but doesn't independently move until the last number?

I have NO idea what or who that statement is referring to.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#104re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:17am

Colehouse 3

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#105re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:20am

Oh. Well, he doesn't appear until the epilogue, certainly not in the scene after Make Them Hear You, so I don't think that is what made blaxx laugh.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#106re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:21am

Ragtime OBC or 96 cast? What should I get.

The OBC mainly because as a 2 CD set has the entire score (and a lot of dialogue) and also the bonus track, a symphonic suite based on the score is truly wonderful. The opening and closing sequences are complete and includes all the spoken segments. On the Toronto cast recording its just the music.

The Toronto cast CD is a single disc of highlights and considering it was recorded 6 months BEFORE the show opened here in December 1996, it's very well done. It even includes a song that was cut before opening night ("The Show Biz" which was replace by opening with a song "I Have a Feeling" and it too was cut before Broadway.)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Updated On: 10/25/09 at 12:21 AM

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#107re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:24am

qolbinau, the 1996 recording is (I believe) a concept recording and is incomplete. I'd recommend the OBC since it is a 2-disc recording and the majority of the show is on it. The 1996 recording is mostly the same cast though if I remember correctly.

frontrowcentre2
#108re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:44am

The major change in cast is Judy Kaye replaced Camille Saviola as Emma Goldman on Broadway.

Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#109re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:46am

Didn't they also change Booker T. Washingtons? I know that only affects the recording minimally, but I believe Tommy Hollis was not a part of the show in Toronto.
Updated On: 10/25/09 at 12:46 AM

RentBoy86
#110re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 1:07am

Anyone do the lotto today? Was it still crazy?

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#111re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 1:45am

Really looking forward to seeing this...

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

trevytoe
#112re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 1:56am

I saw the matinee on Saturday via the lotto. There were about 40 people at the lottery which is not bad. The seats are front row and amazing. There is an iron railing blocking the pit instead of a wall so you can see everything going on in the pit.

I was completely unfamiliar with the show before today and was absolutely blown away. I honestly can't say one bad thing about any aspect of the production. Noll definately stood out for me, although everyone was quite good. There will probably be a few Tony noms in this group.

I will say it again. I am basically in shock at the level of this production. I saw Finian's Rainbow tonight and, while I thought it was great, all I could think about was Ragtime. It was a let down of sorts although it is a very good production.

Harpz2006
#113re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 2:40am

Wait... is the scene after Make Them Hear You when Coalhouse says "Tell me of my son..." etc. to Father gone?

frontrowcentre2
#114re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 4:28am

Didn't they also change Booker T. Washingtons? I know that only affects the recording minimally, but I believe Tommy Hollis was not a part of the show in Toronto.

Booker does not appear on the Toronto cast CD. His role being mostly dialog, and his one solo "Look What You've Done" is omitted from this disc. (The ensemble on this recording is not from the show. It is made up of ensemble members from 6 then-current Livent shows.)

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#115re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 5:18am

"Wait... is the scene after Make Them Hear You when Coalhouse says "Tell me of my son..." etc. to Father gone?"

No

kryst22 Profile Photo
kryst22
#116re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 10:01am

I see what you mean. From what I remember, there's nothing that Ron Bohmer did in that scene that seemed melodramatic or "just to get laughs".

RentBoy86
#117re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 9:50pm

I tried the lotto tonight, but lost. Does anyone else find it weird that whenever there is a group of people somehow they all end up winning? It seems like that always happens, but whatever, good for them. Allie Trimm was there with her mom, and they won. Which to me seems a little unfair, since we know she afford a real ticket, but whatever. I guess I'll try again later in the week. Who knew RAGTIME would be such a big deal? I like the flag they have flying over the marquee though.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#118re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 9:57pm

God, it was the second day and you're already starting with the rigged lotto conspiracies?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Brandi3 Profile Photo
Brandi3
#119re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 10:02pm

And you can afford a ticket too, Rentboy. You are so annoying. I'm just being honest. In every thread, you like to post a hundred times asking which is better: TDF or rush/lotto. It's annoying that you are only here to see which tickets are better.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#120re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 10:04pm

Even IF Allie Trimm could afford a full priced ticket, why is there any problem with her playing the lotto? It's open to everyone, regardless of their income bracket. And why wouldn't she want to buy a cheap ticket?

Alternatively, perhaps she and her Mom wanted to sit in the front row.

DottieD'Luscia
#121re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 10:27pm

I went to the lottery yesterday afternoon. Although my name wasn't picked, it still was a lot of fun. The very pleasant, young woman who was running the lottery, pulled the names in front of everyone and was there the entire time as people were filling out the cards and dropping them in the bucket.

Rentboy, there were quite a few groups there yesterday participating, and not everyone in the group got in.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

lvpblues
#122re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 10:47pm

There didn't appear to be anything to laugh at in the scene between Coalhouse and Father after "Make Them Hear You." I found myself quite moved at how the scene was played.

If anyone's interested, here are my thoughts on the first preview.

~K

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#123re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 10:47pm

While yes some people can afford a full price ticket most do not want to spend that kind of money. And it's always fun to enter and lotto and sit front row or wherever you may sit. If I was rich I would certainly want to do it. Sure it would be nice if everyone paid full price and shows didn't have financial problems and close but that just won't happen.

Also you don't know that Allie can afford it. The money she is making from BBB I don't think she personally can touch till she is 18. And most likely her parents don't want that money going to full price Broadway tickets, they probably are saving up for college for her.

DottieD'Luscia
#124re: Anyone going to the first RAGTIME preview tonight (10/23)?
Posted: 10/25/09 at 10:54pm

lvpblues, in DC right after Coalhouse sings Make Them Hear You, he asks Father, "Are they going to kill me?"

Ron Bohmer (Father) responded, "Of course not. These are decent men [pause], I wouldn't have come here if I didn't believe so."

The pause was just long enough for people to chuckle out of the irony, but the laughter was still a bit disconcerting. Now he just runs the lines together.

Updated On: 10/25/09 at 10:54 PM

Videos