AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews

maxximumvolume Profile Photo
maxximumvolume
#100AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 12:08am

Matthew Murray is Mixed to Positive, although he completely trashes Gallagher Jr., much as he did in his review of Spring Awakening and Rabbit Hole.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/index.html

FindingNamo
#101AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 12:16am

Who? Is that a name that should be familiar?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

maxximumvolume Profile Photo
maxximumvolume
#102AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 12:21am

I don't know, Mr. Namo, I've definitely seen him in just about every other opening night reviews thread. Maybe it's just you?

gcontini2 Profile Photo
gcontini2
#103AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 12:48am

I was at opening tonight and was very touched to see Green Day come on stage at curtain to hug and congratulate the cast...They seemed genuinely thrilled at the fact that their creation was being so warmly welcomed at a Broadway Opening Night.

I'll also add that, while I'm a little in conflict -- because I think the show has great artistic integrity and yet I don't really want Broadway to become the new dumping ground for concept album shows at the expense of new original book musicals - I have to admit that seeing actual mainstream music find serious theatrical expression on Broadway in a non-derivative way (i.e Moving Out, Mama Mia, etc) is both a compliment and a return to a new relevancy for the musical theater as an art form. It's very much a testament to the fact that it's alive and well and available to speak to a broader, non-traditional theater audience.

Updated On: 4/21/10 at 12:48 AM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#104AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 12:56am

The reviews were decent but far from being raves. It would still win by default.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

PReeves2 Profile Photo
PReeves2
#105AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 1:03am

where is the Wall Street Journal? i though the NY Times was the last to post?

FindingNamo
#106AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 1:12am

"I have to admit that seeing actual mainstream music find serious theatrical expression on Broadway in a non-derivative way (i.e Moving Out, Mama Mia, etc) is both a compliment and a return to a new relevancy for the musical theater as an art form."

There's no way that can be a bad thing! I also don't think you have to worry, there aren't many rock artists creating worthwhile concept albums nowadays.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#107AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 1:18am

The only other one I can think of on the top of my head is My Chemical Romance with "The Black Parade," which I adore.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

FindingNamo
#108AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 1:22am

Please don't give Gerard Way any ideas. Or Muse.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#109AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 1:25am

haha. While I love Muse, I don't know if I would want to see a musical by them. Gah, that would be one trippy experience.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#110AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 1:27am

...not sure why Isherwood starts by calling this a punk musical, and then dwells on rock opera for the rest of his review as if punk and rock are indistinguishable.

You think Broadway fans (and critics) actually know the difference? Some people here believe Andrew Lloyd Webber invented the concept album.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

gcontini2 Profile Photo
gcontini2
#111AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 1:29am

"..There's no way that can be a bad thing!"

No, I didn't say it was, The first part of the sentence -- a wholesale trend of concept albums substituting as theatre instead of new book musicals -- refers to the part I would not want.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#112AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 1:39am

It is my new goal in life to revive The Wizard of Oz with the score of The Dark Side of the Moon.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

emg_sound
#113AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 1:59am

To the previous comment about bands not releasing concept albums anymore, I shall give y'all exhibits A-C against this...

A: Cursive: Almost every album by this Emo band has a very well defined structure and thematic construct... Personally, I have a vision to stage their album Happy Hollow as a classic touring religious tent revival.

B: David Byrne: He recently released the album "Here Lies Love" a 22 song meditation on Imelda Marcos. Admittedly, this was conceived from a more theatrical perspective (he worked with Marianne Weems on staging concepts) but this was also his homage to "the death of the album".

C: Sigur Ros: While there is no lyrical cohesion to their albums (heck, most of () was famously sung in "Hopelandic") you will be hard pressed to deny both the extreme theatricality to their music and cohesion in the records. Personally, I view their records as rather long through-composed pieces of music.

The one show everyone on Broadway is waiting to see: Twyla Tharp presents: Big Bottom - The Spinal Tap Jukebox musical!

Brick
#114AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 2:07am

"The reviews were decent but far from being raves. It would still win by default."

Yes. It's a very weak year. And you're right these aren't across the board raves. FELA looks to be the best reviewed new musical of the season. That isn't, however, a prerequisite for Best Musical.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#115AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 3:04am

Yup, this smells like a poor copy of 2008:

Addams Family is Young Frankenstein, Memphis is Cry-Baby, American Idiot is In The Heights, Fela! is Passing Strange...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#117AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 4:52am

(I didn't see this posted, but if it already was, my apologies)

Theatermania is a rave, and marks Sands as the stand out.
Theatermania.com: American Idiot

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

Ed_Mottershead
#118AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 9:00am

Whatever your opinion of the show -- and I liked it -- it certainly is already the most talked-about new musical of the season. Which in itself is a good thing because people will want to see it just because it's becoming a talking point.

BroadwayEd

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#120AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 10:03am

Stark Sands deserves a Tony nod for this. He really, really stood out for me. Which is saying a lot, because this cast is fantastic.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#121AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 10:04am

Not much of an accomplishment to be "the most talked-about new musical of the season." At least not in ,i>this season.

Congrats to all on some good notices. I still regret what appears to me to be the utter banality of this work.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#122AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 10:27am

Seeing the words "Gallagher Jr." invokes a vision of a small child with clown hair smashing oranges with a Playskool plastic hammer.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Ed_Mottershead
#123AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 10:35am

One other thing -- I think Tony Vincent is certainly Tony-nomination worthy.

BroadwayEd

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#124AMERICAN IDIOT Reviews
Posted: 4/21/10 at 10:56am

Stage Grade tallied the reviews as a B.
Updated On: 4/21/10 at 10:56 AM

Videos