pixeltracker

SIDE SHOW closing January 4th- Page 5

SIDE SHOW closing January 4th

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#100Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/22/14 at 10:37am

Do you blame the same thing for the show's 1998 failure as well? They just didn't try to link it enough with a current successful TV show, with which it had nothing in common except a very slight thematic link?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#101Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/22/14 at 11:03am

I think the marketing campaign for this revival was actually pretty decent. Linking it to AHS would have been a mistake IMO.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#102Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/22/14 at 11:09am

Agreed. Linking it with American Horror Story would have neither saved the show, nor would have been beneficial. Theres a lot more in PR and marketing than that

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#103Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/22/14 at 11:15am

It closed the first time due to the freak angle. It closed again this time,in part, for the same reason .Not all theatergoers have seen AHS Freak Show. Those who have seen it may balk at the idea of paying thru the nose for something they can see on TV for free

Saying it deserves to close is a bit mean spirited but since this is BWW it should be expected.

Poster Emeritus

Tom 2 Profile Photo
Tom 2
#104Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/22/14 at 3:59pm

Very sad to hear; wanted to see it.

Tom McGovern Jr

bryan
#105Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/22/14 at 9:27pm

it is sad when a cool show like that coled but the one show that need to say goodbye is tpoto it should not be on broadway now and forever no show goes on forever

Liza's Headband
#106Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/22/14 at 9:33pm

I have to agree with Newintown in some respects. I mean, the show itself is fine... But maybe it just wasn't meant to be a commercial piece on Broadway. Did anyone ever consider that?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#107Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/22/14 at 9:42pm

Great score but the show was never a wise choice for Broadway. Off Broadway maybe.

Poster Emeritus

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#108Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/22/14 at 9:45pm

Wish the cast recording would be released earlier... Side Show Closing By the time it's released it'll already be closed.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#109Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/22/14 at 9:54pm

Better than never released. Interesting to hear the new songs as not seeing the show.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 12/22/14 at 09:54 PM

FindingNamo
#110Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/22/14 at 10:12pm

History was made today when _____ wrote "than" when he meant "than" and not "then". Congrats!

"Those who have seen it may balk at the idea of paying thru the nose for something they can see on TV for free"

I know! Like back when the Abscessory killed Legally Blonde on MTV.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#111Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/22/14 at 10:32pm

I have to agree with Newintown in some respects. I mean, the show itself is fine... But maybe it just wasn't meant to be a commercial piece on Broadway. Did anyone ever consider that?

This is a fantastic production, but I'm feeling the same way. Let it continue to have a healthy life in regional theatre.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#112Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/23/14 at 12:55am

Happy that at least Side Show's grosses went up a bit 10.1% from 62 > 72.1% week ending 12/21...hoping they can at least get up to 80%+ for the final 2 weeks

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Ed_Mottershead
#113Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/23/14 at 1:36am

For what little it's worth, I firmly believe that the subject matter was what killed public interest in this show. That was the case with the original and it still holds. It's just too dicey for John Q. Public, no matter how well conceived the piece may be.

BroadwayEd

FindingNamo
#114Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/23/14 at 1:54am

No, American Horror Story undercut its business according to one of the fine minds here. Also, the Ramones song "Pinhead" was no help at all, I'm sure. Gabba gabba hey.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#115Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/23/14 at 6:16am

I think this needs the Mitteleuropa treatment, we prefer to be a bit disturbed.

Surprised this hasn’t had an Austro-German version already, the style of singing would also suit the material better.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

LizzieCurry
#116Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/23/14 at 7:52am

There was a German-language production a few years ago. I don't have the link but I did find it on YouTube recently.

ohjustjake
#117Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/23/14 at 9:38am

I'm confused about this AHS link... Some say they should've promoted more, some say that would've hurt the show more. But did we forget that blatant placement of 2 AHS characters in the final scene of the show? It's obvious they thought about the link between the two, so it must have been a choice to not go further with it than they already did.

Anyway, saw the show last night and absolutely loved it. Balcony was only 1/3 full though, I got moved down 5 rows. But the audience was SUPER supportive and the reactions I observed were very positive.

LizzieCurry
#118Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/23/14 at 9:54am

No! All the characters at the end of the show are from the movie Freaks -- Venus, the dwarf couple Hans and Frieda (who IRL were brother and sister), Johnny Eck, the strongman, Cleopatra, etc... That's Schlitze, not Pepper, who's with Madame Tetrallini.

They're on the set of the film. It has nothing to do with AHS. It's an amazing scene. But then again, I own a copy of Freaks.

Updated On: 12/23/14 at 09:54 AM

ohjustjake
#119Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/23/14 at 10:09am

Ahhh.. yup just did some research. Thanks for that!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#120Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/23/14 at 10:27am

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 12/23/14 at 10:27 AM

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#121Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/23/14 at 2:56pm

It is interesting that SS does sell out the orchestra on a consistent basis. Guessing the difference between $135 and $95 isn't great enough to drive sales upstairs. At those prices given the choice many probably pass on a show that can't give them a decent seat in the orchestra.

Up In One

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#122Side Show Closing
Posted: 12/23/14 at 5:40pm

Theres a big difference between selling out and papering.

Videos