pixeltracker

Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season- Page 5

Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#100Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 9/17/19 at 10:32am

What show is K POP? I’ve heard of K Pop before, is it a show with K Pop music?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#101Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 9/17/19 at 10:36am

Mike Barrett said: "What show is K POP? I’ve heard of K Pop before, is it a show with K Pop music?"

It played Ars Nova 2 years ago, with Ashley Park in the cast, and was a big hit in a small space. Google for more info on reviews & the show itself.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#102Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 9/17/19 at 10:39am

Mike Barrett said: "What show is K POP? I’ve heard of K Pop before, is it a show with K Pop music?"

It was a show from 2 years ago that played Off-Broadway, produced by Ars Nova. As I said above, it was an immersive experience. The concept was that you were invited to visit a studio where they produce KPOP music. The audience is split into 3 groups, and you're given an interactive "tour" of the studio, but in each of the three main segments of the show, you get a window into the toxic nature of the music industry, and how it's amplified by the pressures of racism and sexism. It was a fascinating show, and it a hot ticket when it was playing. Based on their ticket sales, I'm not surprised to hear people are trying to give the show a future life. I just don't understand how that future life could possible be on Broadway. Unless, as I said, they turn the show into something completely different from what it was Off-Broadway. 

Mike Barrett
#103Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 9/17/19 at 10:45am

Ah got it. I wasn’t sure if K Pop was short for something else or if it was a show based around K Pop. Ya, I’d be quite interested to see how it would work, but am intrigued nonetheless.

Prisoner of 7th Ave
#104Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 9/17/19 at 10:51am

Golden 
American Buffalo with Laurence Fishbourne 

That's an impressive scoop.  Who will play Walter Cole? 

SouthernCakes
#105Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 9/17/19 at 10:54am

Didn’t we just have an American Buffalo that was a massive flop?

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#106Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 9/17/19 at 10:59am

Has there been any word on if Becoming Nancy is likely to transfer this season? I assume it'll depend on the reviews when the show opens down in Atlanta, but I figure it has a shot to transfer. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 9/17/19 at 10:59 AM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#107Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 9/17/19 at 11:10am

SouthernCakes said: "Didn’t we just have an American Buffalo that was a massive flop? "

“Just?” That production was over a decade ago.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#108Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 9/17/19 at 2:13pm

ClumsyDude15 said: "Has there been any word onif Becoming Nancy is likely to transfer this season? I assume it'll depend on the reviews when the show opens down in Atlanta, but I figure it has a shot to transfer."

It's certainly good enough, a proper "book" musical with a great original score. I think if it does come in this season it would have good shot at best score/book, and in the race for Best Musical too. Would need one of the smaller musical houses though.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#109Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 9/17/19 at 9:07pm

ClumsyDude15 said: "Has there been any word onif Becoming Nancy is likely to transfer this season? I assume it'll depend on the reviews when the show opens down in Atlanta, but I figure it has a shot to transfer."

I asked my agent friend and his comment was...hell no!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#110Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 9/30/19 at 11:24am

Based on reports:

-Barrymore: The Inheritance extends

-Circle...: Available

-Cort: Blue

-Golden: American Buffalo

-Lyceum: The Minutes

-Neil Simon: Mr. Saturday Night(Billy Crystal's show)

-Sondheim: Mrs. Doubtfire

Unless there's a surprise closing, the only available theater in the Spring would be The Circle In The Square.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#111Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 11/6/19 at 9:48am

So since American Buffalo is taking the CITS, any rumors for what is taking the Golden?

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#112Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 11/6/19 at 10:05am

Has anyone seen Almost Famous? Would the production fit in the Golden? I know the team was eager to move it this season, but not having seen the show I have no idea if that theater would be appropriate (or financially feasible given the relatively low number of seats for a musical. If memory serves, the Golden hasnt housed a musical since Avenue Q).

Almost Famous and KPOP are really the only rumored productions that seemed to be actively circling Bway for spring. There was chatter about The Flamingo Kid a while back, but I'm not positive they have all their funding in place. 

Mike Barrett
#113Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 11/6/19 at 10:08am

Haven't checked the grosses nor do I know running costs, any chance Slave Play extends to Tony weekend? Looking at the new play category, I really believe it will get a best play nomination. Likely wouldn't have a drastic effect on sales but maybe they hang on incase they win? Idk. 

The Minutes could also end up taking the Golden and not the Lyceum for all we know. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#114Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 11/6/19 at 10:55am

I’d love to see Almost Famous take the Cort and The Minutes take the Golden. 

As much as I love the idea of Famous in the Golden, as someone on these boards so aggressively pointed out to me “a musical of that size would not work in a theater that small” when I suggested the Booth, which only has 38 less seats than the Golden. 

Updated On: 11/6/19 at 10:55 AM

SouthernCakes
#115Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 11/6/19 at 11:15am

Well, they were right! Lol. You have to take into account the actual theater and can it handle the set pieces, band, crew, etc. And also how long will it take to make their money back. Etc. Most shows would benefit from a smaller house but it’s not economical.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#116Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 11/6/19 at 12:16pm

At the Cancer Society benefit two weeks ago I asked Susan Stroman about Crazy for You. She said that it was not dead and was awaiting a theater.

I mentioned that Tony Yazbeck, a big part of the success of the 25th Anniversary performance, would probably be unavailable since he was scheduled to be tripping over to the Beaumont for Flying Over Sunset in March. She acknowledged this and said that she was very happy for him having gotten that opportunity.

Almost three years since the 25th Anniversary performance  and almost two years since Susan had extensively workshopped a revival, I guess it’s time for me to write this one off and maybe be pleasantly surprised some day.

52889j
#117Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 11/6/19 at 1:45pm

An EPA for The King's Speech with a production contract is up on Playbill. 

http://www.playbill.com/job/the-kings-speech-nyc-epa-120319/0000016e-3d79-da5f-a1ee-3d7ff9ef0000

Updated On: 11/6/19 at 01:45 PM

SouthernCakes
#118Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 11/6/19 at 1:50pm

If you read the dates it’s not playing NYC. At least per that notice, which is odd. Toronto, Arizona, London.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#119Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 11/6/19 at 3:44pm

ACL2006 said: "Based on reports:

-Barrymore: The Inheritance extends

-Circle...: Available

-Cort: Blue

-Golden: American Buffalo

-Lyceum: The Minutes

-Neil Simon: Mr. Saturday Night(Billy Crystal's show)

-Sondheim: Mrs. Doubtfire

Unless there's a surprise closing, the only available theater in the Spring would be The Circle In The Square.
"

What is “Blue”?

theblackumbrella
#120Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 11/6/19 at 3:54pm

Knowing it’s unlikely - Ride The Cyclone and Here Lies Love - big love for Seattle theater.

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#121Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 11/6/19 at 3:55pm

JPeterman, here's a link about what we know of this play's revival as of now.

http://www.playbill.com/article/phylicia-rashad-to-direct-charles-randolph-wrights-blue-on-broadway

Updated On: 11/6/19 at 03:55 PM

Mike Barrett
#123Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 11/7/19 at 12:13pm

Any chance Death Of A Salesman transfers? Sharon D Clarke would need to be replaced, and Marianne may be too busy. But Id think the show wouldn't need a terribly long preview period. Could be a nice fit at The Golden or The Lyceum for an April opening and run through the summer. 

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#124Broadway Real Estate for the 2019-2020 season
Posted: 11/7/19 at 12:23pm

Mike Barrett said: "Any chance Death Of A Salesman transfers? Sharon D Clarke would need to be replaced, and Marianne may be too busy. But Id think the show wouldn't need a terribly long preview period. Could be a nice fit at The Golden or The Lyceum for an April opening and run through the summer."

I would SURE like that.  Seems like a great fit for the Golden.