Act I finales

grizzabella
#100ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:09am

There are so many really fine Act 1 finales it's difficult to choose. However, the ones that come immediately to mind, for me, are Into the Woods, La Cage Aux Folles, and 1776. They are all powerful, and all for completely different reasons. Dramatically, they life you into a different place. They make you see the world just a little bit differently than you did before. I think that's what makes them successful.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

HighlyUnrealistic Profile Photo
HighlyUnrealistic
#101ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:28am

Les Mis definatly takes it. It's just perfect.

That and I love Urinetowns...mainly because I think it's a pretty awsome Les Mis spoof.

"You know who I think is sexy? Robbie Hart." "You think the 'Time to Make the Donuts' guy is sexy."

gavrochegirl
#102ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:35am

Les Miserables
Wicked (Don't stone me)
Aida
RENT

What the puck?!

grizzabella
#103ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:36am

Sorry. "life" in the fourth line of my earlier post should be "lift". Just goes to show that I can't type after midnight. Mea culpa.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

soulman83
#104ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:42am

First of all, NOTHING beats out dreamgirls. but after seeing Wicked with Ana Gasteyer and being reminded of Idina i would have to say Wicked has a powerful Act1 finale. Pretty brilliant. Mouths were gaping open. Rent is amazing as well. Sunday in the park with george is incredible but you feel more like the show is over and there is no second act. DREAMGIRLS IS THE BEST!

GretchaSketh
#105ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 3:04am

well I have to say that for me right now it's Chitty! Seeing that car fly always brings tears to my eyes!

What is your dream role?
My dream role would be to be myself. To be performing at the Hollywood Bowl and to have an audience there just to see me, as Stephanie. They are there because they like what I do as a singer, an artist and a person (the last being the most important). I enjoy escaping and portraying other characters, but to be accepted and wanted as yourself... that's amazing! --Stephanie J. Block Just one of the many reasons I admire and respect Stephanie!!

Conor Profile Photo
Conor
#106ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 3:22am

Allen I totally agree, Dreamgirls. Wicked, eh... really has lost its effect but the first time I saw it I was stunned, but seeing it last night w/ Ana Gasteyer was sooooo disapointing. Les Mis gets me everytime tho, that show can do no wrong in my book.

phenom
#107ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:08pm

I'll have to throw another in for TPOTO... slow chandelier and all.

For me it's really all about All I Ask of You Reprise. Such emotion in that and it makes the finale even more beautiful.

And then the chandelier comes down. Honestly, the last time I saw it, it moved so slow that I thought the actors were going to move in slow motion to compensate. But with a slight imagination and forgiveness, it really is a spectacular moment in theater.

But I will be going to Las Vegas to see the show when it opens, just because they are designing the theater especially for the show and evidently are sprucing up the crash into the spectacle it was designed to be. I'll have to push aside my anger that they're chopping the show down to 90 minutes to see what they come up with...

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#108ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 12:57pm

Wicked is my favorite.

Close are Gypsy, Sweet Charity.

La Cage is awesome as well!!!!!!!!!

But I think the definative is WSS.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#109ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 1:06pm

Ragtime and Into the Woods have the best Act 1 finale. "Defying Gravity" from wicked gets me every time to. I have always thought that the end of Act 1 should be the strongest part of a piece.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

caitiesus1522 Profile Photo
caitiesus1522
#110ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 1:42pm

Rent by a long shot
Wicked is pretty good too
If you have the right seats POTO is awesome

sadiem100 Profile Photo
sadiem100
#111ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 1:47pm

Sweeney Todd
Wicked
Rent

"If you have the right seats POTO is awesome"

Agreed.

"Electricity sparks inside of me... and I'm free, I'm free."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#112ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 1:53pm

Dreamgirls
Wicked
A Little Night Music
Gypsy
Sweeney Todd
Sunday in the Park With George

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

beyondthebreakofday Profile Photo
beyondthebreakofday
#113ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 3:22pm

Les Mis. It's so powerful to see the whole cast on stage singing together, and yet all are concerned with different and equally powerful problems. It's like: Ok, we know that you've been sitting here for a while and you're all ready to rush to the bathroom and the bar, but before you go we're going to perform a number that will force those annoying theatre-goers who usually rush out of the theatre before Act I finishes to stay seated to see this Act to its conclusion. It's just our way of saying "thank you" to our more dedicated fans. =)

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#114ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/19/05 at 4:36pm

Wicked. Show-stopper.

Gypsy. Show-stopper.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, good to take a break in the middle of a laugh. Makes the audience stay.

wickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
#115ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/21/05 at 4:26pm

Wicked - Goosepimpels every time!

Phantom

ummmmmmmm

Beauty and the Beast

EganFan2
#116ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/21/05 at 7:14pm

I'd say Phantom or Woman in White.