pixeltracker

LESTAT - The New Carrie!- Page 5

LESTAT - The New Carrie!

wallowinbathtubgin
#100re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 1:48am

I think everyone (whether you saw it Saturday or back in SF) will have to hold your breath on Tony noms, but guessing is loads of fun, can't deny that. (There are whole threads for that, though, and honestly, this thread has probably gotten off track enough haha). Unless they've SIGNIFICANTLY beefed up his role, I sincerely doubt he'd qualify as a lead.

Noseworthy lacked any sort of passion, though I didn't completely hate his Armand and wouldn't have really cared either way if he'd stayed on in the role.

And btw, Eponine, check your PMs.

"Water never looked so good til you're down on the desert floor, scrapin' around for a taste of what you always took for granted."

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#101re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 1:50am

Hugh Panaro was doing a really exaggerated and strange accent in the beginning of the run that had tapered off by the end of the run.

Jack Noseworthy... wasn't bad, but Drew Sarich was much more interesting and insaaaaaane. I think that Noseworthy could have pulled off a kind of repressed fanatic thing, but he wasn't really doing it at the time, whereas Drew Sarich is much more in your face with the unbalanced manipulative thing.

I don't know if Armand would be considered a lead.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#102re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 2:09am

It would have been intersting to see what Drew would have done in the role of Lestat. He did understudy the part until he was bumped up to full time Spawn of Satan (ie. Armand).

He doesn't look like a Lestat to me, but I bet his vocals would have ROCKED!

I do wonder how Hugh manages to beat the pulp out of Drew, since Drew is about a head taller and just a bigger guy. Ah, the magic of theatre.

Sapsorrow Profile Photo
Sapsorrow
#103re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 3:14am

Allow me to take this moment to briefly emerge out of lurkage and express my sheer elation at the fact that this thread has completely metamorphosed into a Drew Sarich lovefest.

<3<3<3

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#104re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 3:36am

I do wonder how Hugh manages to beat the pulp out of Drew, since Drew is about a head taller and just a bigger guy. Ah, the magic of theatre.

Yeah, when I first read about THAT change, I kinda, er, chuckled in my head...

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

gabybon Profile Photo
gabybon
#105re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 6:36am

Sorry...I'm Italian, I don't know this show yet, but I'm a fan of the Anne Rice vampires saga...In the novel, Lestat become a rockstar, why the director of this musical choses Hugh Panaro, a good singer but with a style, a classic voice a "good-boy face" more suitable for romantic shows as Les Mis or Show Boat??...If I think to Lestat I think to a bad rock-guy as Adam Pascal...
Abaut a new Carrie...Carrie score is amazing, Are the Elton John songs for this show so nice?

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#106re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 8:47am

Saw it last night, don't think it will last. The 11 year old girls part was the highlight for me (more blood). Hugh was good, but the play isn't. I actually liked Wildhorn's "Dracula" better!!!

The woman next to us (second row orch) and her daughter left at intermission and did not return. Didn't see a single person stand at the end....

Don't sit in first or second row orch! Horrible seats with a VERY high stage. Couldn't even tell there was a wolf on the stgae at the beginning....

pdjennings Profile Photo
pdjennings
#107re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 10:02am

I've not seen Lestat yet -- I'm going in June, so I can't speak to the topic just yet -- however, I had a question. Didn't Wicked also get "horrible" reviews when it first opened in SF (and yet, it certainly seemed to do fine once it got to NYC) ?

I saw Martin Guerre in DC in 1999 and thought it was terrific (as did the 6 people I took with me)... yet it was deemed unfit for Broadway for some reason. It just makes me sad when things aren't given a chance re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#108re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 10:24am

I believe the Wicked reviews were mixed, both in SF and in NY.

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#109re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 10:31am

~How can so many experienced people and so much time and money be put into something like this?~

For an answer to this question...RUN out and buy a copy of Steven Suskin's wonderful new book "Second Act Trouble(Behind the Scenes at Broadway's Big Musical Bombs)". There are variables but overall it seems to always come back to the BOOK and DIRECTION and of course the production team involved. One thing I found perplexing was how often a successful straight play director would be engaged with absolutely no previous musical theatre experience. I know there have been exceptions but why not hire a director who at least has a clue to the mechanics of directing for this medium? I guess availability (possibly in a small way name recognition and credits) and schedule might have been a deciding factor.

fishergirl819 Profile Photo
fishergirl819
#110re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 10:47am

I completely understand and agree with the whole "everyone's allowed to have their own opinions" argument that was going on in here last night. What I just hope is that if people who saw it in SF and didn't like it get the opportunity to see it again in NY, they will go in with an open mind. Just going by what I've discussed about SF v. NY with a friend seems to show that the changes they've made have really been steps in the right direction. I don't know if they're big enough steps to make a real improvement in the eyes of those who saw it in SF, but I'm really, really curious to hear your takes. To me, the show was good and entertaining, while being extremely flawed. I thought, though, that the flaws were fixable, and I'm really curious to hear if those from SF agree or still see it as being flawed to the point of no return.

....wow, that was kinda rambly, haha.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#111re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 10:50am

One more for the Drew love!! :)

WaltSummersPI
#112re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 10:57am

Drew is REALLY, REALLY good. It's hard not to watch him when he's on stage.

fishergirl819 Profile Photo
fishergirl819
#113re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 11:02am

Drew is absolutely phenomenal in the show.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#114re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 11:07am

Wasn't that entertaining for me or wife (she liked it less than I did)- was totally bored in first act. Second act was better, especially when they added to young girls - definitely livened it up a bit. But still, no desire to return. Dracula was better. Not ONE single person stood up at the end. JKust polite clapping, and I think the young girl got as much applause as Hugh Panero. I thought that was unusual, almost every play we've been to had SOMEONE get up....

WaltSummersPI
#115re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 11:12am

ken,

People not giving a standing ovation last night isn't really an indicator of anything. The majority of the audience stood up on Saturday.

DDdirector
#116re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 11:16am

Not in the mez, maybe a quarter were standing on Saturday night, that's a quarter of the ones who remained for the second act. At least two to three dozen seats were left empty after intermission.
I'm just happy that I revisited DRS earlier that day to see Pryce. At least I paid good money to see one good show. Lestat was just a waste of time/money/and talent.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#117re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 11:18am

Was an indicator for me. Have seen a LOT of plays (almost all currently on Broadway, and some off-Broadway too), and this was unusual. Just polite applause. Not a great indicator in my opinion. I and my wife just didn't like it, and seems like most of the audience were in agreement. I hope it does well, but my prediction is that it won't fare well as it is now.....

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#118re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 11:48am

RUN out and buy a copy of Steven Suskin's wonderful new book "Second Act Trouble(Behind the Scenes at Broadway's Big Musical Bombs)".

I second this! It's a very, very informative book. I've only gotten through two chapters so far, but it's much easier to wrap one's brain around flops once you understand some of the mistakes that've been made in the past.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#119re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 1:17pm

One thing that I am bummed that got changed: At the end in SF there was a moment where all the leads actors stood in a line behind a scrim and appeared and in turn each sang a short solo; it really was a beautiful moment seeing all of the main characters (dead or not) come together like that.

The music was to "From the Dead" I realize the song didn't fit the show after the changes, but I was hoping they would keep that part.

rock00 Profile Photo
rock00
#120re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 1:23pm

Saw the show Monday night (preview #2) and Act I is a boring mess. No real direction and a bunch of meaningless songs (although Panaro's "Thirst" song is very good). Act II is like watching a completely different show (at least until the end when it magically falls apart again). Panaro has an amazing voice and it's well showcased, but he really can't act at all. He feels very awkward in the role and not believable at all. Jim Stanick (sp) is good, but doesn't have a whole lot to do. I'm not a big Carolee Carmello fan, but I get that it's a good performance (again, not a ton to do for her). The real highlights are Allison Fischer as Claudia and Drew Sarich. Unfortunate, because I'd really like to see Hugh do an original show that actually works. This isn't it, though.

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around...

Mother's Younger Brother
#121re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 1:26pm

^^ Those were pretty much my exact impressions of the SF run...particularly the feeling that Act 1 and Act 2 "felt" like two different shows. Interesting. Thanks everyone for posting updates on the NY previews!

wallowinbathtubgin
#122re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 1:27pm

You genuinely liked the SF ending, Eponine?

To me, it seemed completely out of place, one more spot where everything was too bright and shiney in an obviously "gothic", dark musical. Too "I'm Ok, You're Ok --- WE ALL FORGIVE YOU, LESTAT!" for my taste.

Aaaaand, just for good measure, Drew Sarich = amazing. :)

"Water never looked so good til you're down on the desert floor, scrapin' around for a taste of what you always took for granted."

Mother's Younger Brother
#123re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 1:29pm

I thought the only good thing about the SF ending was that we got see and hear Drew again. And I agree with Eponine...what a revelation it would have been to see Drew as the rockstar Lestat!

bwayondabrain
#124re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 3/28/06 at 1:32pm

to anyone who was their for the first previews (which are still going on, i know) in NYC, how full was the Palace? full house, or not even close?

Videos