pixeltracker

Worst Show You've ever seen..- Page 5

Worst Show You've ever seen..

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#100I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 1:16pm

I think some people are confusing 'bad' with 'disappointing'.

For just plain awful, either 'Fame', (officially the dumbest show in the universe), or 'Jerry Springer', which is nowhere near as funny as it thinks it is.

PS I don't get the Wicked set design either.

ZONEACE
#101I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 1:32pm

A little gem known as "The Banger's Floppera" at NYMF this past sept. ALso, a community theatre production of Copacabana.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

WhenURScrap Profile Photo
WhenURScrap
#102I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 1:40pm

I think the worst shows I have ever seen (aside from the disapointing performance with Melanie Griffith in CHICAGO) are the new 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee ... a cute but annoying show, bad score, bad script ... and then the most recent (Pre-Robin De Jesus) performance (Back in August 2005) of Rent. I saw the touring Rent production years back and when I came to NYC to see it, I was really disappointed that the actors had a bad performance.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#103I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 1:55pm

"or 'Jerry Springer', which is nowhere near as funny as it thinks it is."

Really? I thought it was funny, timely, and brilliant. The score is one of the best I've heard in years.

"the new 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee ... a cute but annoying show, bad score, bad script"

Yikes! That's the first time I've heard anyone say that. Especially about the book, which many critics and non-critics felt was the best of the year. I loved every moment.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#104I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 3:33pm

Good Vibrations.

Philomena Profile Photo
Philomena
#105I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 3:40pm

Back in 1985, I saw an off-Broadway musical called "Surf City: The Beach Boys Musical" which was horrible. It closed during previews - I was not surprised!

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#106I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 4:03pm

Since I normally don't get to NYC each year until June or July I have the luxury of avoiding many of the awful shows (most have already closed by the time I am there). However, one of the times I came during the fall was to specifically see the production of Thou Shalt Not. That was probably the worst show I have ever seen ON Broadway.

The worst amatuer production I have ever seen was a high school production of How to Succeed. The show included all of the normal critcisms (not enough strong actors/singers/dancers for the parts, poor direction/choreography, less than stellar sets, etc.) but the worst part was that the performers had a hard time following the music because they were singing with a MIDI track that the teacher created using Finale! If they got lost the music kept on playing!

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#107I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 4:16pm

If regional and community counts, Hofstra University on Long Island brought their pathetic musical of "Anne of Green Gables" to my Elementary school when I was very young, and even as a fourth grader, I thought it was ****.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#108I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 4:17pm

Mister Matt,
I saw 'Jerry Springer' at the National Theatre in London and was really looking forward to it. The playbill was a scream, including the writers' favourite philosophies, (any show without a mirror-ball is a lecture...)
But the show itself was static, staged with so little daring that it really undermined the tone of the writing.
And then there was the audience- a really snobby crowd, laughing if an actor swore, in such a smug way it was as if they were congratulating themselves on being so broad-minded. It had a real, "I'm here to be seen" vibe. (OK, so I'm reviewing the audience at the moment), but the show fell into cheap, lazy jokes just when it needed to step up a gear- all it seemed to be saying was that Jerry's audience is trash, which is not exactly ground-breaking. The second act really failed to draw together the ideas of forgiveness and reconciliation.
I left at the end with a real bad-theatre headache.

Still, as this thread proves, tastes vary!

junglered Profile Photo
junglered
#109I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 4:20pm

Non - Equity tour of Godspell. Gag.

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#110I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 4:23pm

The worst professional show I have seen is probably the New Starlight Express in London (I was 14 and I knew it was bad), followed by Lestat.

As to non-professional, I think I'll go with a local production of "Reservoir Dogs" Macbeth, with the witches as homeless bag ladies climbing on chain link fences and everyone in cheap suits with guns. Not to mention that acting ability was pretty much lacking in all the leads.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

catsuit
#111I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 4:28pm

Bye Bye Birdie.. Bad music, bad plot, bad everything.

#112I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 4:36pm

If you haven't read the novel WICKED, you won't get the set design. It has to do with the Time Dragon Clock.

I have to say my high school's production of A Wizard of Oz. I loved it until the curtain opened... cheesy cheesy.

brad3 Profile Photo
brad3
#113I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 8:12pm

Good Vibrations
Rent (Sorry)
Ring of Fire
Wonderful Town
Man of la Mancha
Sweet Chairty
Spelling Bee (Sorry Again)
And more...

brad3 Profile Photo
brad3
#114I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 8:12pm

Good Vibrations
Rent (Sorry)
Ring of Fire
Wonderful Town
Man of la Mancha
Sweet Chairty
Spelling Bee (Sorry Again)
And more...

Hawker
#115I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/3/06 at 8:20pm

"Carrie" and "The Moose Murders". The latter made "Cats" look like "Otello" and the former has no equal as a legendary theatrical disaster.

tgrabon Profile Photo
tgrabon
#116I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/4/06 at 4:30pm

Bring Back Birdie
Anne Margaret in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas revival
All Shook Up
Sweet Smell of Success
The Goodbye Girl

Best Little Whorehouse was a train wreck...but..the worst of the bunch would have to be...
Sweet Smell of Success... how so many talented people produced such a distasteful and boring night in the theatre still astounds me.

timmmmmmmmmy

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#117I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/4/06 at 4:34pm

Stagedoor Charlie/Buskers/Busker Alley (whatever it was when I saw it!)

The mid 90's tour of Dreamgirls

An early 90's tour of "A Chorus Line"

Dr. Dolittle

Just give the world Love.

tgrabon Profile Photo
tgrabon
#118I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/4/06 at 4:39pm

ooooh....I forgot about Carrie. The songs between mother and daughter were strange but beautiful. The "slaughtering pigs" number is still unfortunately visible in my mind. I still choose Sweet Smell of Success. Carrie was beyond awful but never boring.

timmmmmmmmmy

kaboodles041 Profile Photo
kaboodles041
#119I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/4/06 at 5:17pm

I almost forgot, The Who's Tommy. Good God, I don't like that show. I have seen it probably three times (it's a long story why) and each time I don't like it, so I don't know why I even bother. It's too depressing.

Arghh! Grammar pet peeve #1: your vs you're. "Your" is a possessive pronoun. "You're" is the contraction of "you are." <<

starletta8
#120I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/4/06 at 5:57pm

I'll add one that nobody has mentioned yet.

"Up for Grabs", in London.

That, you may recall, was Madonna's attempt at the West End.

Enough said.

IdinaAdamFan Profile Photo
IdinaAdamFan
#121I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/4/06 at 5:59pm

a local production of Li'l Abner. ugh.

rah
#122I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/4/06 at 6:23pm

Broadway:

Bring Back Birdie
Doctor Jazz

rah

Mark4
#123I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/4/06 at 6:23pm

1. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom- I was so bored that my mom and I walked out before it ended.
2. Fiddler on the Roof (Revival)

Fabrizio2
#124I'm going to have to say....
Posted: 4/4/06 at 6:43pm

-WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ YOU MAY NOT APPROVE OF...YOU MAY THINK I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE...IT MAY NOT MAKE SENSE...ITS OKAY TO CRITISIZE, BUT PLEASE DO NOT INSULT-

1.) In My Life(Broadway)- It was too much for me, and (correct me if I am wrong) it seemed like it popped out of nowhere! Were there any other previews of it for critics to say "STOP THIS!"
2.) Cats (Broadway and Tour)- It was just an okay concept with one good song (Memory) it ran TOO long, and Andrew Lloyd Webber took it overboard just like he did with my next least favorite musical.
3.) The Phantom of the Opera (Broadway and I havent seen the tour)- I used to like it until after the 5th or 6th cast change. Rebecca Luker was very nice in it, as well as Sarah Brightman (Although I did not like the way she sang some of the songs).
4.) Chicago (Tour)- I saw it with Bianca Marroquin who did not do much for me. Her singing was mediocre, and her dancing was just okay. As for Terra MacLeoed (sp?) her portrayal of Velma was horrible. I did not even feel what Catherine Zeta Jones gave me during the Cell Block Tango (a quick chill down my spine) and I felt like she could do better.
5.) The Lion King (Tour and Broadway)- I have to say that I liked the scenery and costumes a lot, but I got so tired of it, and I want to state loud and clear that Disney has worn out their welcome. Although I am curious about Mary Poppins.
6.) Sweet Charity 2006 Revival (Broadway and soon to be tour)- I saw this show the night that Christina Applegate was out so I have no right to say that she was bad. I actually want to say that the standby, Charlotte d'Amboise...practically saved the show and kept me from walking out at intermission. I loved her so much. She knows how to dance, she knows how to sing, and something you can rarely find in my opinion on Broadway (that is in musicals) is act well, in which she blew me away. On the other hand. Dennis o'Hare was not pleasing. I loved him in Take Me Out and I was expecting more! I mean anyone could have played that role and he needed to make it his own. Another thing is WHY DO A FOSSE SHOW WITHOUT FOSSE'S CHOREOGRAPHY?! That upset me. It was just a bad show all in all...they cut some stuff and changed some stuff which upset me. I did not like this show at all.

Those are my least favorite shows I have seen.

Videos