News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!- Page 5

Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#100Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 2:06pm

I believe that I read somewhere that GUYS & DOLLS had a $2,000,000 advance sale. That is really not very much in today's economy. It is risky to say that the critics will be overlooked by theatregoers who will go to the show because of its name value. I have rarely seen a well-known show receive such vituperative reviews, excluding Channel 4. Will it be around by Tony time? Will anyone care? I will stay with my happy memories of the 1992 production and avoid the Nederlander.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

PiraguaGuy2
#101Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 2:10pm

I think it will do just fine come Tony time. It's a lock for Revival (obviously), will probably get some tech noms, and really, who's going to beat out Grant and Bierko (hell, even Graham) for nominations? The only question is category placement, which could drastically affect their chances.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#102Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 2:38pm

I agree, it should be fine. I'm curious about Tony category placement, though (sorry, I know I'm digressing here, but I'm going to go ahead anyway). For best actress, do you think they'll submit both females? Because right now I'd say Josephina Scaglione, Sutton Foster, Alice Ripley, and Allison Janney could likely be in that category, leaving room for one doll.

Updated On: 3/2/09 at 02:38 PM

coolkid11776
#103Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 3:22pm

As per the boards I found out that Guys & Dolls will be closing on March 8th. Then I checked Playbill and they don't have anything up yet.
Is this true?

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#104Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 3:25pm

I highly doubt Graham will get a nomination.

If you're gonna put your money on anyone, put it on Jennings-Grant. But I doubt that will even happen. I think it'll be shut out of the acting nominations.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#105Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 3:27pm

As per the boards I found out that Guys & Dolls will be closing on March 8th. Then I checked Playbill and they don't have anything up yet.
Is this true?

Buy your ticket!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#106Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 3:29pm

rOcKs ~ I completely agree re: the NBC4 review. As I stated earlier, I sat here with my mouth open. Graham a "revelation"??? In mediocrity perhaps. And did you hear him actually compare it's greatness to that of South Pacific last season???

Like you, my comment was "Can I get tickets to the show you saw? Because I didn't see what you saw AT ALL!"

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#107Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 3:38pm

I think I was actually in shock that he was so positive about it that I missed the SOUTH PACIFIC comparison...what the hell.

Well, this week I'm seeing both HAIR (on Friday) and WEST SIDE STORY (on Wednesday) so I'm hoping they will both be, at the least, a step up from the mediocrity (at best) that were both GUYS AND DOLLS and PAL JOEY.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#108Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 3:44pm

Does anyone else find it a bit disturbing that NONE of the official reviews are positive? Not one? The closest it came is from Elysa Gardner (for USA Today), and even she thought Platt and Graham were lost, and that the show never soared.

When Michael Kuchwara doesn't like your show, you know you're in trouble.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#109Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 3:46pm

Yeah, I rewound it (love that ability on the DVR box even if I'm not recording) to make sure because I was in such shock. I don't know what he smoked before he saw it ~ or what they gave him to make him praise it so much. Shocking.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Yankeefan007
#110Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 3:47pm

This is one of Brantley's better reviews. Not at all catty and very easy to comprehend.

But perhaps the best part was what he said of Lauren Graham: devoid of "poison-ality"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#111Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 3:53pm

Depressing to read all of these.

*sigh*

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Hahabimbi Profile Photo
Hahabimbi
#112Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 3:54pm

well, actually, Lauren Graham got several positive reviews too.

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#114Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 4:22pm

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/f03ce346-0753-11de-9294-000077b07658.html

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#115Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 4:24pm

It sounds mix to negative with the summary of reviews it has gotten and well deserved to get them.

There's no mixed here, the thing was trashed.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

PiraguaGuy2
#116Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 4:27pm

Mixed? Can you find a review that wasn't bad by anyone but that blurb machine Jeff Lyons?

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#117Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 4:29pm

I always feel bad when productions get horrible reviews...even if the show is bad because they have all worked really hard.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#118Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 4:31pm

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Guys_and_Dolls_Revival_Lacks_High_spirited_Energy_35542.html

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#119Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 4:31pm

There's no mixed here, the thing was trashed.

I wouldn't say TRASHED. The consensus seems to be that, no matter how hard Mr. McAnuff seems to be trying, nothing can totally destroy GUYS AND DOLLS. So yeah, they were negative, but not pans on the level of, say, HEDDA GABLER.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

FindingNamo
#120Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 4:35pm

Did Roxy get his tickets yet?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

PiraguaGuy2
#121Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 4:38pm

Did Roxy get his tickets yet?

Not until Barack Hussein gives him his tax money back. Once the class warfare is over with, he and Mrs R will have a splendid time in their $300 seats.

EnWashingtonHeights Profile Photo
EnWashingtonHeights
#122Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 4:54pm

WOM was a rave but they always give raves

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#123Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 4:56pm

The New Yorker wasn't that bad.

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#124Not a review, just my thoughts...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 5:05pm

And for those who were wondering about it closing soon, they're planning on staying open.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/despite-reviews-producers-say-guys-and-dolls-can-do/

Videos