pixeltracker

Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY- Page 6

Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY

lucillefrank Profile Photo
lucillefrank
#125Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 1:57am

I've just been told that Kate Baldwin is absolutely playing Irene. That's perfect casting.

i've got 99 problems and a revival of parade would solve like 94 of them
Updated On: 4/21/16 at 01:57 AM

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#126Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 4:40am

Oh, no way!!! Flawless. Wonder who her Minnie will be!

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

10086sunset
#127Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 6:23am

Really like this Baldwin news.

Updated On: 4/21/16 at 06:23 AM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#128Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 10:55am

A friend shared that word on the street is that Midler is only going to do 5 performances a week, and that they are looking for a 'name' of some kind to do the other 3.   If this proves true, It will be interesting to see who they get.  I wonder if there are some fairly large Broadway names who would consider it. Perhaps doing 3 shows a week might be appealing for someone who, say, has a lot of concert commitments.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#129Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:07am

Kate Baldwin will be a superb Irene, and absolutely deserves the kind of attention starring opposite Bette Midler will bring. She works so steadily in regional theater, but gets overlooked for soprano parts on Broadway too frequently.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

10086sunset
#130Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:11am

QueenAlice said: "A friend shared that word on the street is that Midler is only going to do 5 performances a week, and that they are looking for a 'name' of some kind to do the other 3.   If this proves true, It will be interesting to see who they get.  I wonder if there are some fairly large Broadway names who would consider it. Perhaps doing 3 shows a week might be appealing for someone who, say, has a lot of concert commitments.

"

Carol Channing would be game. She still has the costumes so it's a win-win.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#131Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:19am

Unfortunately, all the men old enough to play Horace opposite Channing are dead.

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#132Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:23am

I can't imagine any truly big broadway stars would want to do this, however I can see some other big names wanting to do it, but I doubt they'd be interesting to the general population. 

Could it possibly be another New York based celebrity who might want to try dipping their toes into Broadway before making a full leap into it?

givesmevoice
#133Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:30am

Donna McKechnie was willing to stand by for Chita Rivera in The Visit, with no guarantee she would ever go on. I hope she would jump at the chance to do 3 shows a week as Dolly.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#134Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:31am

The part of me that says Broadway Divas likely have too much ego to 'share' a leading role on Broadway agrees, but, who knows, perhaps I'm wrong.  People aren't exactly banging down Patti LuPone and Bernadette Peters' doors with offers to star on Broadway, and these ladies (just as an example) are 70 years old themselves. Collecting a hefty paycheck to only have to do that grueling performance 3 shows a week might be appealing at this point in their careers.

I could also see them going with someone like Kathi Lee Gifford - a TV personality with name ecognition but not a big enough name to headline a full revival by herself.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#135Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:36am

MIght it be a series of big stars taking over the extra performances, each with a very short stint?  How much fun would that be if - big if - it were feasible

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#136Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:38am

5 shows a week only?? Would that diminish her Tony chances?? I think 6 shows a week would be better if she wants a Tony & for ticket sales. And I'd be perfectly ok with McKechnie as the Dolly alternate

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

givesmevoice
#137Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:41am

QueenAlice said: "The part of me that says Broadway Divas likely have too much ego to 'share' a leading role on Broadway agrees, but, who knows, perhaps I'm wrong.  People aren't exactly banging down Patti LuPone and Bernadette Peters' doors with offers to star on Broadway, and these ladies (just as an example) are 70 years old themselves. Collecting a hefty paycheck to only have to do that grueling performance 3 shows a week might be appealing at this point in their careers.

I could also see them going with someone like Kathi Lee Gifford - a TV personality with name ecognition but not a big enough name to headline a full revival by herself.
"

I know it's not Broadway, but did you miss the announcement that Patti LuPone is originating a new musical in Chicago this summer? LuPone's career is probably at its best and busiest right now.

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#138Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:42am

lucillefrank said: "I've just been told that Kate Baldwin is absolutely playing Irene. That's perfect casting."

THIS. IS. AMAZING. Baldwin is a terrific casting choice in my opinion!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#139Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:43am

I think there might be some initial negative PR from her only doing 5 shows a week, but you know what, she's a big star and at this point in her career doesn't have to do Broadway at all if she doesn't want to; I don't think it would really diminish her Tony chances.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#140Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:44am

How about... Phillipa Soo and Irene and Steven Pasquale as Cornelius? *sparks*

Update - just noticed the Kate Baldwin news. Never mind, haha. I'd still cast Steven if Robber Bridegroom is not coming to Bway (which we haven't heard anything about).

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 4/21/16 at 11:44 AM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#141Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:47am

Phillipa Soo reportedly turned down the chance to do COMET on Broadway; I have a feeling we're going to lose her soon to the world of television.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#142Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 12:05pm

I think Cornelius needs to be younger than many of the suggestions.  Maybe Grant Gustin, though he may be a little too young.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

carolineorchange21 Profile Photo
carolineorchange21
#143Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 12:27pm

My friends and I have been playing the B-list Dolly game for awhile now, to no satisfying results.

I think Susan Lucci would be a spectacular 3-a-week Dolly. She's theater trained, age appropriate, a big enough name, and the matinee ladies would be head-over-heels to see Erica Kane in person.

I'm aware that that her show has been off the air for a few years, but she's a pop-culture icon, if only for the Emmy thing. And she's played B-Way previously.

I actually doubt Bette is only doing 5 a week. Maybe skipping matinees but that's her prerogative, if the producers wish to extend it.

I'm sort of excited to see what path the show takes in casting a matinee Dolly, if this turns out to be accurate. Hmm? The possibilities?

"...ah, gays and their wit. Hell must be a laugh a minute!" -Evie Harris

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#144Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 12:33pm

I am stuck on the idea of Josh Grisetti as Cornelius. He'd be perfect.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

broadwaymarty
#145Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 1:00pm

I I think the Shubert would be perfect, my guess is that Bette would like to play the Shubert, also I think Kelsey Grammer would be great.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#146Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 1:34pm

My Dolly Dreamcast:

Dolly: The Divine Miss M
Horace: Tony Sheldon
Irene Malloy: Laura Benanti
Cornelius: Wesley Taylor
Barnaby: Nicholas Barasch

Not sure about Minnie Fay, needs to be someone young with lightning comedic timing who can dance her socks off. 

Updated On: 4/21/16 at 01:34 PM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#147Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 1:45pm

Barbra is doing the other 3 shows every week.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#148Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 7:58pm

Phillipa Soo reportedly turned down the chance to do COMET on Broadway; I have a feeling we're going to lose her soon to the world of television.

She did not turn down COMET on Broadway. She wasn't asked to take part in the transfer.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 4/21/16 at 07:58 PM

Claudia Draper
#149Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/21/16 at 8:54pm

"money, pardon the expression, is like manure, you need to spread it around to watch Bette's bank acct. grow"

Videos