TotallyEffed
#125A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/22/17 at 11:58pm

"I know you know how to use it!"

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#126A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/23/17 at 12:22pm

I saw this Friday night and enjoyed it tremendously. It's a taught play that moves at a very swift pace, but it's packed with lots to think about in relation to marriage, gender, and class. I think Lucas Hnath deserves a lot of credit for writing a piece that ably explores these areas while still being extremely entertaining. I'm not sure when he started writing it, but the play felt all the more powerful in the wake of the election as well- but had that gone differently this would still be worthwhile. I hope to see it again as I keep thinking about all the points raised by each of these characters.

The entire cast is firing on all cylinders. Chris Cooper has the least intriguing role, but I thought his performance was effective, especially in his last scene with Metcalf. Condola Rashad and Jayne Houdyshell are both wonderful. Houdyshell, of course, knows how to deliver a one-liner, but she nicely plays the more emotional moments as well. This was my first time seeing Rashad and I loved her performance- she has a great stage presence. And Laurie Metcalf is, of course, tremendous in every way. I can't imagine she doesn't win the Tony for this. 

The staging and set are quite simple, but it's all in service of the excellent acting and script. I still need to see Sweat and Indecent, but I think this would be a very worthy winner of Best Play. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#127A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/23/17 at 1:03pm

I can't imagine this not being a licensing hit for Hnath. A single set, four great roles. Theatres can easily program this and A Doll's House in a season or run them in rep.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#128A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/23/17 at 1:45pm

Honestly, I feel pretty mixed about this one. Saw it the other night in a packed (mostly comped) house and while the actors all seem to be really digging in and earning all of their humor, they transcend the material. The play itself feels like a lecture, with several of Nora's monologues actually acting as lectures. The humor and pathos that arrive seem more a testament to the skill of the actors and Sam Gold than the skill of Lucas Hnath. I'm mostly unfamiliar with Hnath's work, but this is a criticism I've seen made often about him. If that's the case, I think maybe he's just not my cup of tea.

Regardless, the cast really does make the evening fly by. Chris Cooper does his best with a mostly bland role. Jayne Houdyshell is reliably hilarious, both warm and stern in equal measure. Condola Rashad has the most difficult role as Nora and Torvald's daughter and she plays the role almost as an emotionless robot, which is jarring given the wonderfully natural performances from the rest of the quartet. And then there's Laurie Metcalf, who absolutely nails her performance. She never leaves the stage and the layers she brings to the character are stunning. You'll be howling in laughter one moment and your heart will be broken the next; she'll have you in the palm of her hand even as she keeps you at a distance. It's a performance that Tony Awards were made for: gutsy, physical, nuanced, lovely.

Overall, I'm glad I saw it once so I could experience the joy of seeing some really fine acting by some of my favorite actors working in the theatre. But I don't know that I would recommend it to others. It just felt like Mr. Hnath thought he was being a lot more clever than he ended up.

Updated On: 4/23/17 at 01:45 PM

BWAY Baby2
#129A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:08am

I don't think the author was trying to be clever as much as wondering where Nora would be in 15 years after Doll's House ended- and wondering if the strong willed and determined woman she was has developed over time- and how she would have navigated a very complex situation that could have occurred given the closing of Doll's House- and I do not think you have to be familiar with Doll's House to enjoy the show- you can take it on its own terms- the traits of Nora are developed and explored and whether or not you are familiar with her past- her current situation is very comprehensible standing alone.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#130A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/26/17 at 1:50am

Has anyone gone to the stage door? Would love to meet Metcalf after the show (she didn't stop during Misery when I saw it).

hork Profile Photo
hork
#131A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 1:43am

I saw the South Coast Repertory production in Costa Mesa tonight, and absolutely loved it. From reading reviews on here, it sounds like the two productions are very similar, although the sets are a little bit different. And the similarities between Laurie Metcalf and Shannon Cochran go beyond mere physical appearance. It's eerie how much Cochran resembles Metcalf, not just in looks but in voice, mannerisms and inflections. I can't believe it's coincidence, so I'm wondering how closely tied the two productions are.

The two standouts from the cast, for me, were Bill Geisslinger as Torvald and Virginia Vale as Emmy. Judging by comments about Chris Cooper on here, it sounds like Geisslinger should be playing the part on Broadway, as I thought he was perfect in the role. And Vale plays Emmy the way Rashad has been described on here, sort of robotic, but with an underlying warmth and humanity, and I thought she was kind of adorable. Lynn Milgram as Anne Marie was the weakest of the four, I felt, so I'm a bit sad I won't be able to see Jayne Houdyshell.

I'm surprised so many people are calling this play "hilarious." There's some humor, sure (though I didn't laugh much), but I actually found it to be a very sad play, not really a comedy at all. But I agree it's thought-provoking, and I loved how easily Hnath lets us see everything so clearly from the perspectives of all four characters, so that it's hard to find fault with any of their positions.

Also, I do recommend seeing or reading A Doll's House beforehand. I know it's not "necessary," but it adds a lot to the emotional and psychological impact. It's like seeing Before Sunset without having seen Before Sunrise: sure, you can follow the story with no problem, but you won't get as much out of it.

Updated On: 4/27/17 at 01:43 AM

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#132A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 2:41am

Hnath sure knows how to write an argument. Only in Isaac's Eye have I ever felt that one character was "right" and the other was "wrong", and that's actually my main problem with the play.

And Houdyshell yelling "f*ck you, Nora!" might be one of the funniest one-liners I've ever heard, though I also agree that the play isn't as much of a comedy as others have been saying. Part of this is because of Sam Gold's staging, which emphasizes comedy as much as possible.

"In memory, everything happens to music"

JBC3
#133A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 2:54am

I laughed far more at Dolls House than I did at other plays billing themselves as comedies. The book and staging wring as much humor as possible while also exploring the drama and sadness of the situation. Updated On: 4/27/17 at 02:54 AM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#134A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 3:07am

Has anyone in D-111 of the orchestra? Curious about the view.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#135A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 6:34am

n2nbaby said: "Has anyone gone to the stage door? Would love to meet Metcalf after the show (she didn't stop during Misery when I saw it)."

And you think that was a show-specific decision for some reason? A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews

BroadwayBoy214
#136A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 7:59am

n2nbaby said: "Has anyone gone to the stage door? Would love to meet Metcalf after the show (she didn't stop during Misery when I saw it).

I was there last night. They all signed and took pictures.

"

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#137A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 8:26am

I was there again last night and don't have much more to say other than I think Chris Cooper has really grown in his role. It makes the final scene between Torvald and Nora so much stronger.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Fordham2015
#138A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 previews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 9:31am

little_sally said: "I was there again last night and don't have much more to say other than I think Chris Cooper has really grown in his role. It makes the final scene between Torvald and Nora so much stronger.

Agreed- I was worried about him the most given the divided response on the boards. But I saw it last weekend and thought he was great- the month of previews has definitely helped him the most. 

Videos