pixeltracker

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!- Page 7

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#150Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/5/18 at 10:47am

Also, are there really only 5 eligible lead actors this year? (Hadden-Paton, Henry, Nolan, Shalhoub, Slater?)

My jaw will literally drop if Paul Alexander Nolan gets a Tony nomination for Margaritaville.

Updated On: 3/5/18 at 10:47 AM

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#151Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/5/18 at 11:12am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Also, are there really only 5 eligible lead actors this year? (Hadden-Paton, Henry, Nolan, Shalhoub, Slater?)

My jaw will literally drop if Paul Alexander Nolan gets aTony nominationforMargaritaville.
"

Since there's only 5, only 4 will be nominated. Unless Hadden-Paton's performance is dreadful, I would expect Nolan to be the one to miss out. 

ellbellthomps
#152Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/5/18 at 11:12am

If Katrina Lenk doesn't win, I will be shocked. One of the best performances I've ever seen, and I am going back mostly for her in a week. 

222disneyland
#153Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/5/18 at 6:56pm

I meant the girl that plays Elsa ! That is not Patti ? It was a mistake. I said it because Tonys have a history of choosing flashy over 'real acting' 

BroadwayConcierge
#154Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/5/18 at 6:58pm

222disneyland said: "I meant the girl that plays Elsa ! That is not Patti ? It was a mistake. I said it because Tonys have a history of choosing flashy over 'real acting'"

...no, it doesn't?

Also, you've posted about Frozen at least 50,000 times. Surely, you know that Caissie plays Elsa and Patti plays Anna.

222disneyland
#155Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/5/18 at 7:04pm

Yes it does !!1 Kinky Boots over Matilda, Billy over the much better Bertie Carvel. Spamalot over light in  the Piazza. Sara over Kelli. 

Updated On: 3/5/18 at 07:04 PM

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#156Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/6/18 at 12:55pm

222disneyland said: "I am lazy so just going to put who will win

Best Leading Actress in a Play
no idea

"

Even sight unseen, it's very difficult to imagine anyone other than Glenda Jackson ("Three Tall Women"Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions! winning this.

MadsonMelo
#157Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/6/18 at 7:47pm

Having seen both Parker and Garfield, there's NO WAY that someone can convincing me that Parker was better than Garfield.

Lane missed out a nom today at the Olivier Awards, he'll probably be nominated at the Tonys, but I think Garfield will win this award. And the Olivier too. First person to do it so at the same year, right?

I think Mean Girls can win book and the cast can get 2/3 noms, it will be the closiest to a competition that Band's Visit will have this year.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#158Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/6/18 at 8:11pm

I can't see The Band's Visit's poignant script getting beat by Mean Girls.

I'm seriously hoping they'll put Lane in supporting. It would be a smart move.

BroadwayConcierge
#159Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/6/18 at 8:15pm

KnewItWhenIWasInFron said: "Even sight unseen, it's very difficult to imagine anyone other than Glenda Jackson ("Three Tall Women"Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions! winning this."

Condola Rashad poses the only potential competition for Jackson, in my opinion. We'll have to see how Saint Joan is in a few weeks!

Miserent Profile Photo
Miserent
#160Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/6/18 at 9:07pm

I can't be the only one who wants to see Once On This Island get some Tony love.  What a beautiful, inspired production.  I would be completely shocked if it weren't at least nominated for Best Musical Revival.  I would be very pleased if Hailey and Alex were both nominated as well.  

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#161Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/7/18 at 12:18pm

Hey, actually there's been another thread that has been active for months now that we should probably move this conversation over to. We talk at great length about how Once on this Island deserves lots of Tony love over there.

funhamilton_rent
#162Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/20/18 at 7:05pm

Might just be me, but I don't see The Band's Visit getting a ton of Tony love. I saw it and just didn't get it. Katrina and Tony were good at best, and the music and book were both awful. No memorable songs at all, everything felt so boring. I went back and listened to the whole cast recording and the only songs tolerable were Omar Sharif and Welcome to Nowhere. Could someone explain to me what is so revolutionary and great about it?

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#163Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/20/18 at 7:20pm

funhamilton_rent, it’s a bit ignorant to think just because you didn’t like something, it’s not going to get Tony Awards. The Band’s Visit is a beautiful and subtle musical that isn’t for everyone. In a recent interview on Theater People, the actors talked about how the book writer didn’t want the show to feel important (as that term is used for shows trying to make an impact or change the scope). There’s no overall message in my opinion, it’s just a beautiful story told wonderfully through its book, score and performances. The show is one of the best reviewed of the decade, it has no competition, it will be winning Best Musical and Best Socre, along with some other awards I’m sure. Just remember, a show doesn’t have to be “important” or “revolutionary” to be good.

Updated On: 3/20/18 at 07:20 PM

rjm516
#164Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/21/18 at 10:57am

It's really a shame that 'book' seems to be so misunderstood, allowing some people to think the funny jokes of Mean Girls excuse the mess of it enough to warrant even suggesting that it beat The Band's Visit. I hope voters know better.

Schmuli
#165Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:16pm

Regarding Carousel, Lindsay Mendez is a clear standout. She connects with audience, magnificent voice, and comedic when role calls for it. J Pecks choreography and the ballerina in the beach scene, who executes the ethereal ballet, should both receive very high accolades.

sdrick
#166Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:48pm

funhamilton_rent said: "Might just be me, but I don't see The Band's Visit getting a ton of Tony love. I saw it and just didn't get it. Katrina and Tony were good at best, and the music and book were both awful. No memorable songs at all, everything felt so boring. I went back and listened to the whole cast recording and the only songs tolerable were Omar Sharif and Welcome to Nowhere. Could someone explain to me what is so revolutionary and great about it?"

Yeah, it's just you.

RCPanned
#167Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 4/23/18 at 9:30am

GeorgeandDot said: "Hey, actually there's been another thread that has been active for months now that we should probably move this conversation over to. We talk at great length about how Once on this Island deserves lots of Tony love over there."

What is the name of the other thread?

smidge
#168Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 4/23/18 at 9:35am

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1101072

MaruR
#169:(
Posted: 4/23/18 at 3:48pm

Unfortunately they did not give the Olivier to Andrew Garfield for Angels in America. And Andrew deserved it. Many who saw all the nominees for best actor, or at least have seen Andrew and the actor who has won in that category, and all agree that Andrew's performance was superior.

A real shame.

Andrew won the Evening Standard award for best actor, for his performance in Angels in America

Updated On: 4/23/18 at 03:48 PM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#170:(
Posted: 4/23/18 at 5:30pm

Norbert will likely take home Featured Actor in a Musical for his work in MY FAIR LADY.

CURSED CHILD will probably take home the lion's share on the straight play front. 

Videos