pixeltracker

Ivo van Hove Will Direct 2020 Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY- Page 7

Ivo van Hove Will Direct 2020 Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#150BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 7:53pm

CedricOates said: "What are the chances that Rachel Zegler will star in the movie and then make her broadway debut in the same role for this production? I think it would make sense, judging that they could market her as one of her stars of the movie"

Zero. I can't imagine Van Hove and Rudin will want to work with anyone who was involved with the 2009 Bway production or the new film.

But also, the Broadway revival will open first (December 2019); the film starts shooting in Summer 2019, so it will probably be released in the second half of 2020.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#151BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/20/19 at 10:24pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Both are too old for the part and you're delusional if you think Corey Cott is a "name." West Side Story doesn't need a name to sell tickets. The name of the show is a name enough, especially if it has good word of mouth.

Also this is an Ivo Van Hove production. I wouldn't expect to see conventional casting. I doubt you'll be seeing your favorite <> chorus boy in the lead role.
"
BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY

Updated On: 1/21/19 at 10:24 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#152BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/21/19 at 2:24am

That B-Roll was a hideous joke. The dance at the gym (the mambo) is supposed to be savage...WTF is up with the multi colored Dairy Whip hair on all the characters. Its straight up Japanese anime...it looks like a truck full load of Skittles took a massive dump on all of them. Again.. WTF?!?!?!

A Director
#153BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/21/19 at 2:49am

GeorgeandDot said: "Both are too old for the part and you're delusional if you think Corey Cott is a "name." West Side Story doesn't need a name to sell tickets. The name of the show is a name enough, especially if it has good word of mouth.

Also this is an Ivo Van Hove production. I wouldn't expect to see conventional casting. I doubt you'll be seeing your favorite <> chorus boy in the lead role.
"

Is a 27 year old actor too old to play Tony?  Is a 25 year actress too old to play Maria?

When WSS opened in 1957, Larry Kart was 27 and Carol Lawrence was 25!

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#154BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/21/19 at 3:26am

Of course they aren't too old. Corey Cott ALWAYS has played the lead in every single role in professional theater since the age of 21. He is a leading man. He's also happily married to a woman and he is 28. He is also known and respected in the theater community. So, none of those lies spewed in hate are accurate. Hate speech isn't accepted here anymore.  

The show will cast people in their 20 and 30's like mostly all professional West Side Story casts. I look forward to the revival and what the choreography will look like.

Updated On: 1/21/19 at 03:26 AM

bk
#155BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/21/19 at 4:32am

CarlosAlberto said: "That B-Roll was a hideous joke. The dance at the gym (the mambo) is supposed to be savage...WTF is up with the multi colored Dairy Whip hair on all the characters. Its straight up Japanese anime...it looks like a truck full load of Skittles took a massive dump on all of them. Again.. WTF?!?!?!"

What B-roll are you talking about?  I don't see any links here.

persephone88
#156BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/21/19 at 6:21am

The "joke" b-roll is on page six. It is a German company doing WSS in some crazy looking wigs and costumes.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#157BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/21/19 at 10:01am

I, personally, would love to see the Fuguard Theatre's production come to Broadway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JgokgbBMM4

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Sunny11
#158BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/21/19 at 12:30pm

LuPita2 said: "Of course they aren't too old. <>Corey Cott ALWAYS has played the leadin every single role in professional theater since the age of 21. He is a leading man. He's also happily married to a woman and he is 28. He is also known and respected in thetheater community. So,none of those lies spewed in hate are accurate.Hate speech isn't accepted here anymore.

The show will cast people in their 20 and 30's like mostly all professional West Side Story casts. I look forward to the revival and what the choreography will look like.
"

They could cast a Jimmy Award contestant. If Eva Noblezada could originate  Kim in Miss Saigon at 17 then I can’t see why any teenage roles couldn’t be played by actual teenagers.

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#159BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/21/19 at 2:57pm

I think they may cast a few teens but the majority of them will be in their 20s. They need to look like adults and most teens just don't have that goin on.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#160BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/21/19 at 2:59pm

persephone88 said: "The "joke" b-roll is on page six. It is a German company doing WSS in some crazy looking wigs and costumes."

Oh thank the theater gods that was a hideous joke. Still WTF?!??!

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#161BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/21/19 at 3:34pm

EllieRose2 said: "I think they may cast a few teens but the majority of them will be in their 20s. They need to look like adults and most teens just don't have that goin on."

I completely agree.  

jimmycurry01
#162BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/22/19 at 11:59am

"

I wouldn't bank on the name of the show alone as a big seller. The last revival's numbers were OK, but the revival before that had terrible numbers, and it was directed and choreographed by Robbins himself. You need either a name or a gimmick to get people to want to cough up Broadway prices for a show they can easily see in rep at their local regional or community theatre. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#163BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/29/19 at 7:46pm

natashalost said: " I know they did a workshop recently, which had some great dancers such as Carlos E. Gonzalez, Yesenia Ayala, Andrei Chagas, Tanairi Vasquez, Chris P. Hernandez, Chris Medlin, Ben Cook, Kevin Csolak, Melanie Moore, Curtis Holland,Ahmad Simmons,Michelle Mercedes, Ricky Ubeda,and many more dancers I don't happen to recognize from photos. Here's a couple if anyone recognizes the others: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrqjENkhf_-/ https://www.instagram.com/p/BrqRZ4fhycF/" How do we know this was a workshop for the revival and not the film? Many of these people seem to have some connection to Justin peck whose the choreographer for the film, so I would be surprised if that was the case.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#164BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 1/29/19 at 8:39pm

That workshop was indeed for the Broadway revival, not the movie. I had a couple friends involved. It was a choreography lab. Don’t look for any of those names to continue with it. They’re looking for honest-to-god teenagers exclusively in the actual production.

Updated On: 1/29/19 at 08:39 PM

Bobmortton
#165BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 3/19/19 at 3:12pm

With Rudin anouncing Music Man a year a half out, do we think this project is dead? I know it opens in December, but usually Rudin anounces his proejcts pretty far out. I have not heard anything just purely curious. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#166BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 3/19/19 at 3:25pm

Bobmortton said: "With Rudin anouncing Music Man a year a half out, do we think this project is dead? I know it opens in December, but usually Rudin anounces his proejcts pretty far out. I have not heard anything just purely curious."

It’s definitely still happening. The announcement of The Music Man doesn’t affect it, other than adding competition to next year’s Tony race.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#167BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 3/19/19 at 3:33pm

It won’t even be in competition with The Music Man. If it’s still on schedule, it will open next season and The Music Man won’t open until the season after.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#168BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 3/19/19 at 3:49pm

The big thing now is that West Side needs a theatre. Which we'll probably find out sometime between May and September depending on closings. If Rudin wants a large Shubert musical house, his only options are the Winter Garden (where the original played), the Imperial, or the Broadway. The Broadway will probably be vacant first. Unless he'd go to a smaller house like the Broadhurst or Barrymore.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#169BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 3/20/19 at 7:38pm

The Winter Garden would be exciting simply because it started there but I don't think it could sell out every night in that massive space.

Videos