Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#175K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 3:06am

Thank you smiley

kwoc91
#176K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 9:38am

I really enjoyed the show last night. It's so much FUN!

I'm a K-Pop fan and I thought they did a great job portraying/satirizing many aspects of the industry - the wild costumes, the silly music video concepts, the questionable lyricism (especially when sprinkling English words in), and of course the brutal label system that chews and spits out many young children. Yes, it's all a bit melodramatic and yes, there are lots of loose ends/rushed storylines, but I didn't really care by the end.

The cast was stellar all around, and wow can Luna SING!! I need a cast recording ASAP, and really hope this show becomes a frontrunner for the Best Choreography Tony.

I'm very curious to read the critics' reviews of the show, but I do hope this gains an audience and has a healthy run.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#177K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 7:22pm

kwoc91 said: "I really enjoyed the show last night. It's so much FUN!

I'm a K-Pop fan and I thought they did a great job portraying/satirizing many aspects of the industry - the wild costumes, the silly music video concepts, the questionable lyricism (especially when sprinkling English words in), and of course the brutal label system that chews and spits out many young children. Yes, it's all a bit melodramatic and yes, there are lots of loose ends/rushed storylines, but I didn't really care by the end.

The cast was stellar all around, and wow can Luna SING!! I need a cast recording ASAP, and really hope this show becomes a frontrunner for the Best Choreography Tony.

I'm very curious to read the critics' reviews of the show, but I do hope this gains an audience and has a healthy run.
"

100%

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#178K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 11:11pm

Went back again tonight courtesy of the Lottery (Orch B-233 - pretty good seat for $40!)

There have been a lot of subtle changes, mostly with the first scene. According to the cast, the entire first scene that sets up the show has been changed although I didn’t really notice it because it just happens so quickly. Unfortunately they haven’t fixed the major problem (in my opinion) and give RTMIS a reason for being. They’re still the tertiary group in what feels like a two-track show. 

The singing and choreography remain TIGHT and you cant help but feel the show in your whole body. Luna is still magnificent and Zachary Piser remains a highlight.

The cast does come out of the stage door and, while some move quickly through the line, a lot of them are really engaged with the audience and love the chatting and feedback. One of the cast even remembered me from the first preview “because you’re really tall”. (I’m 6’8 - I guess I stuck out in the audience 😂)

Just go!

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

oh-bwayhereicome Profile Photo
oh-bwayhereicome
#179K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/2/22 at 8:30am

Just got an email that the matinee for today Wed Nov 2nd is cancelled. Still on for tonight. Debating if I should reschedule for tonight’s show or wait a few days. I’m coming from northwest NJ and would hate for it to be possibly cancelled on me after driving all that way.

BorisTomashevsky
#180K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/2/22 at 9:10am

Wow this is not doing well.

akhoya87
#181K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/2/22 at 11:14am

oh-bwayhereicome said: "Just got an email that the matinee for today Wed Nov 2nd is cancelled. Still on for tonight. Debating if I should reschedule for tonight’s show or wait a few days. I’m coming from northwest NJ and would hate for it to be possibly cancelled on me after driving all that way."

I think it's still worth the drive for tonight.  I heard they canceled today's matinee because they need to work on a technical issue with the stage (not because someone is out due to illness).

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#182K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/2/22 at 11:54am

Yes, matinee is cancelled with the evening show planned to go on.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

muscle23ftl
#183K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/2/22 at 12:31pm

I am going with 3 friends tonight, I think it was probably the staging, which is very modern and moves a lot. 

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

quizking101
#184K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/2/22 at 3:00pm

muscle23ftl said: "I am going with 3 friends tonight, I think it was probably the staging, which is very modern and moves a lot."

I’ll see you there! (Maybe) 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

OffOnBwayHi
#185K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/2/22 at 3:55pm

____

Updated On: 11/2/22 at 03:55 PM

BorisTomashevsky
#186K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/2/22 at 10:30pm

Well if this isn’t just the biggest glitter-covered turd to ever show up on Broadway.

I’ll be surprised if it lasts beyond Christmas.

It belongs in an event space in Hudson Yards, if that. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#187K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/3/22 at 12:00am

i wonder if this is gone by thanksgiving tbh....

Mitch101
#188K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/3/22 at 1:04am

It’s likely. Too bad, it’s something unique, and it is well done. It’s a hell of lot more authentic and entertaining then the awful “Almost Famous.” But with no advance, terrible marketing, and the likelihood of pans from mainstream critics it’s not likely to survive past New Years (I’m holding out a little hope it will run longer than Thanksgiving).

BorisTomashevsky
#189K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/3/22 at 1:23am

Just looked at a few dates on Telecharge. This weekend is basically empty. 
This won’t make it to opening. 

muscle23ftl
#190K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/3/22 at 1:38am

quizking101 said: "muscle23ftl said: "I am going with 3 friends tonight, I think it was probably the staging, which is very modern and moves a lot."

"

I wish we had said hi, have you me met before? I have the worst memory. I do remember chatting on here a lot. The theater was very busy, almost full, some empty seats on the last row, but very busy and very enthusiastic audience, it was lovely revisiting Kpop. 

BorisTomashevsky
#191K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/3/22 at 1:40am

muscle23ftl said: "quizking101 said: "muscle23ftl said: "I am going with 3 friends tonight, I think it was probably the staging, which is very modern and moves a lot."

"

I wish we had said hi, have you me met before? I have the worst memory. I do remember chatting on here a lot. The theater was very busy, almost full, some empty seats on the last row, but very busy and very enthusiastic audience, it was lovely revisiting Kpop.
"

Lots of papering tonight.

muscle23ftl
#192K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/3/22 at 1:42am

BorisTomashevsky said: "muscle23ftl said: "quizking101 said: "muscle23ftl said: "I am going with 3 friends tonight, I think it was probably the staging, which is very modern and moves a lot."

"

"

"

Well, we all paid $89.50 and we thought it was 100% worth it.

akhoya87
#193K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/3/22 at 2:14am

BorisTomashevsky said: "muscle23ftl said: "quizking101 said: "muscle23ftl said: "I am going with 3 friends tonight, I think it was probably the staging, which is very modern and moves a lot."

"

"

"

Unless you are with the production team or the box office, hard to tell if it's papering.  There may be a lot of day-of sales through TodayTix, TDF, etc.  Even if there's a lot of availability just a few days before a performance, that doesn't necessarily mean the house has been papered.  To be sure, heavy reliance on TDF/TodayTix, etc. isn't good for the show's long-term prospects.

Out of curiosity, what do you hope to gain with the repeated doomsaying?  You obviously didn't like the show, and you expressed your opinion that it's a "glitter covered turd."  Fair enough.  But why belabor the point?  (Other than the fact that it's the Internet -- which, sure, I guess.)  Did someone blare the GMA broadcast of This is My Korea outside your house 27 times?

The show still has a lot to work on, and it's entering a brutal season filled with a lot of new works that have different merits.  But KPOP is making changes, and it's still in previews.  And this show has an audience -- but that audience isn't going to be the usual bridge-and-tunnel crowd or Sondheim aficionados.  The question is whether it can hit that vein of interest before capital runs out.  I hope it does.  

Updated On: 11/3/22 at 02:14 AM

quizking101
#194K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/3/22 at 7:34am

I was there for the third time last night. They are getting better each time and have apparently been making A LOT of changes (per the cast). I’m happy that RTMIS now has more of a fleshed out storyline so they don’t feel so tertiary.

Luna is still a star and I hope she gets a Tony nod for this.

ElephantLoveMedley
#195K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/3/22 at 8:21am

I'm sad to say this because the cast is working their butts off, but I just found this not to be a great show. The whole thing just came off as a big meh to me in terms of execution. I think the concept of the show is super interesting—I really wanted to be completely thrown into the world of K-pop for the night. However, something just felt off about the production design to me and it came off as cheap and unimpressive. As someone earlier on this thread said, it just doesn't stick the landing.

By contrast, a few nights earlier I saw & Juliet, where I literally felt the music pulsing through the floor and into my body. & Juliet completely immersed me into the world of the characters. I didn't get that feeling at all at KPOP, which is just so bizarre to me. Given the show's concept and the physical space it occupies, it should be the definition of immersive. Even the lighting design was unimpressive to me.

I think the greatest strengths here are Luna as MwE (who is so charismatic and managed to keep my attention during some incredibly long, boring, and predictably written book scenes) and the choreography. But I've already forgotten about 80% of what I saw. It just didn't hit for me at all, which makes me sad because I went in wanting to love it so much. Broadway needs shows with concepts like these, but it just needed a better execution.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#196K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/3/22 at 8:41am

Based on their lack of advance ticket sales, there's no way this continues into January.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#197K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/3/22 at 5:39pm

quizking101 said: "I was there for the third time last night. They are getting better each time and have apparently been making A LOT of changes (per the cast). I’m happy that RTMIS now has more of a fleshed out storyline so they don’t feel so tertiary.

Luna is still a star and I hope she gets a Tony nod for this.
"

Could you please go more into what has been fleshed out with Rtmis's story? As someone that has seen it multi times, you likely know best just what has been changed.

oh-bwayhereicome Profile Photo
oh-bwayhereicome
#198K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/3/22 at 5:46pm

So saw this finally last night after waiting since seeing off-broadway so many years ago. And I had a great time! But def not everything I expected.Here are my thoughts :

SPOILERS BELOW!!

Pros:

-Music is as good as ever! If this doesn’t get a cast recording I will be soooooo disappointed. I am still humming the songs. And wow those are some amazing singers, not a weak voice anywhere.

-Choreography is amazing! The performers are so crisp and stellar. I don’t know how they perform at that level 8 times a week -costumes are great, set is intriguing with great and exciting projection mapping, and lighting is phenomenal.

-Overall, had the most fun last 15mins of any broadway show I’ve seen. You leave forgetting some of the issues

Cons:

-Wow this new single linear plot is not really working. The benefit of when it was off-broadway was you were only with each musical group for like 30mins total, and a good 15mins of that was them singing and dancing. So the pretty simple individual plots were less paper thin as compared to a “single” story that is stretched to two hours. The F8 plot was the same but worked better back then and didn’t feel stretched out, Mwe was more of a diva character who was gonna get the chop for being too unruly and getting too old, and RTMIS was in the rehearsal space where you witnessed all the inhuman training these groups are put through and each member was striving to replace Mwe as the next solo artist. There was also a tiny subplot about a member of F8 getting one of the RTMIS girls pregnant. This plot was much more a critique on the industry then just the celebration that it is now.

-the whole framing device of the broadway production definitely made the audience feel unsure of how they should act. At the beginning it seemed that the audience was unsure how or when to applaud for the groups. It just felt disconnected and alienating. However the last 15mins the audience was really going hard, and it was a standing ovation at the end.

-The whole show was basically musical number in the present, flashback, musical number in the present, flashback, etc. so whenever a plot would start or build steam they would cut to another group. So pretty stagnant on storytelling. Bless the 4 performers who are just acting and not singing or dancing, those book scenes are straight out of a Behind The Music parody. But they try their best, especially Jully Lee as the head of the recording company. She deserves more praise for giving those scenes emotional depth.

Anyway that’s my long opinion. I really want this show to succeed, but they should of done at least an out-of-town or stayed off-broadway, like Here Lies Love. It def would have built more steam and garnered good word of mouth IF they decided to transfer. Any of that it had from the original off-broadway run is nonexistent and forgotten. Best of luck to the cast and creative team!! I hope it finds its audience and sales soon!

BoringBoredBoard40
#199K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/3/22 at 6:31pm

so based on a conversation I had with someone connected to the show, if the reviews don't cause a big sales bump this is likely to go before the holidays...so if you are looking to go I would very much suggest buying for the next week or two NOW 

Videos