Tarzan Reviews

BSoBW2
#175re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/12/06 at 5:00pm

Is Tarzan still playing?
Where's the stage door?
How do I meet the guy that plays Tarzan?
Is there rush or lotto?
What time?
How much?
Is the playbill b&w or color?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#176re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/12/06 at 5:04pm

Ah, I loves ya BSoBW2!

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#177re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/17/06 at 3:19pm

Feingold made me laugh with his Voice review today:

"Where nature's concerned, Disney can get anything wrong. Barring one leopard and some human-size giant bugs, this jungle has no animals except Tarzan's gorilla family; presumably all the other species are under exclusive contract to The Lion King."

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#178re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/18/06 at 5:52pm

I don't think that we are all indulging in schadenfreude here.

I call to mind what Oscar Hammerstein II said about Stephen Sondheim, "He won't really be a part of the Broadway community until he has a flop."

I think we all feel that way about Disney, basically.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#180re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/19/06 at 10:23am

Well I am still shocked Broadway.com took down their review...it just doesn't seem real to me that a 'site' can be pressured by advertisers...at least as far as a review. I keep going back thinking they will re-post, but it's not there and sadly I think I will no longer visit it.

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#181re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/19/06 at 1:35pm

I don't understand...they posted a bad review, then removed it from the website?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#182re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/19/06 at 3:22pm

Yes. They removed it...though I never saw it...however, the fact that Tarzan had a big ad on their homepage that weekend, might have had something to do with it.

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

munkustrap178
#183re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/19/06 at 3:30pm

I never understood why broadway.com writes reviews. They sell tickets and advertise. That would be like telecharge writing reviews.

I thought of that a while back, I think with RING OF FIRE or something. Bad review, then next to it, BUY TICKETS TO THIS SHOW!

Well, no one that just read your review is going to buy tickets now.

Write reviews or sell tickets - both don't work.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#184re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/21/06 at 12:37pm

Are there any video clips of this on any of the review sites? (I mean legal authorized "reviewers reels" that they distribute to news stations and such.)

That's why I'm disappointed by broadway.com's not having a review posted, because they ususally do include clips.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#185re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/21/06 at 12:46pm

There's a great one on BWW! look at ur left hand column, see 'video previews', click on it and there's a page of shows previews, including Tarzan

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

munkustrap178
#186re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/21/06 at 12:48pm

And by "great one" he means good video - not good show.

Buscee
#187re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/24/06 at 8:56am

I have to agree I saw it last night, and thought it was dreadful. I swear if I saw one more ape bungee jump I was going to scream. I was watching it and thought to myself if this is getting mixed reviews how really bad is Lestat? I think the Disney people really missed the boat with this one. It looked like a show you would find in the Magic Kingdom. I think Disney should understand that we don't need to see every animated movie made into a Broadway musical. It's kinda sad when kids who got to see the magnificient LION KING will force there parents to spend $111 for Tarzan.

munkustrap178
#188re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/24/06 at 11:49am

I completely agree.

TARZAN needs to go.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#189re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/24/06 at 11:50am

Really, Munk? We had no idea how you felt about Tarzan! Thanks for clarifying.

munkustrap178
#190re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/24/06 at 11:51am

Wow, liotte, I had no idea you'd post something irritating right after my undoubtedly unnecessary post! So original you are!

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#191re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/24/06 at 11:53am

And you think that your constant bashing of Tarzan is not irritating??

munkustrap178
#192re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/24/06 at 11:55am

Only to those who champion crap. And I DID say my post was unnecessary.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#193re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/24/06 at 11:57am

What is crap to you is a wonderful show to me. That works both ways, because I know that you happen to love shows that I don't. But I don't call those shows crap, and certainly not as if it were fact.

Buscee
#194re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/24/06 at 12:13pm

Well I don't know which shows you both like, but based on Munk today I will have to agree since he agreed with me. I honestly have seen 2 shows this past year which I thought were embarassments. Tarzan last night, and the best of all THE BLOND IN THE THUNDERBIRD. Compared to that Tarzan was a Pulitzer Prize Winner. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. I enjoyed most of Carrie-The Musical, but thought Debbie Allens direction really ruined it. Tarzan is just something that should not have been attempted. I would much rather have seen it done without the Disney talking animal stuff. Save that for the Magic Kingdom.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#195re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/24/06 at 12:51pm

"But everyone is entitled to their opinion."

Thank you for recognizing that. I also recognize that you didn't like Tarzan, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the show. But I respect your opinion, and thank you for respecting mine.

Munk, take note.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#196re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/24/06 at 12:55pm

This kind of argument is one of the things that leads me to question the difference between expressing your opinion, even if it happens to be in opposition to someone else's, and not allowing entitlement to opinion. If someone engages in a debate with you because they disagree, are they bashing you? Are they bashing your opinion? Or are they just stating theirs, which they too by that clause are entitled to? There are people who, when opposing opinion is expressed, automatically and constantly play victim, and go "stop bashing me!" -- it's kind of absurd.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/24/06 at 12:55 PM

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#197re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/24/06 at 12:58pm

Expressing your opinion and stating your opinion as if it were fact are two different things.

And I personally have been bashed on this board because of my opinion. I'd be happy to send you a thread link if you want.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#198re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/24/06 at 1:01pm

Oh, I know. I've seen it happen both ways. I mean in general, there are some people who, if you're just like "I disagree" get all upset that you're bashing them.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/24/06 at 01:01 PM

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#199re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/24/06 at 1:05pm

Unfortunately, many posters do turn a show bashing thread to bashing the person who is defending the show.

I was just told that I don't like musical theater because I didn't like a couple of shows, and was also told that because I didn't like said shows, my opinion didn't matter, I should die and the world would be a better place, I'm a nazi, etc. I have never bashed a show, but certainly have been personally bashed because of my opinion.

Videos