mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#0Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 4:28pm

Financial Times Review

Tarzan, Richard Rodgers Theatre, New York
By Brendan Lemon
Published: May 10 2006 17:30 | Last updated: May 10 2006 17:30

Just as some New Yorkers revile Disney for smoothing away the theatre district’s rough creative edges, so I suspect they will greet Jane’s buff-up of the ape-man in Tarzan, its latest Broadway musical, with polite revulsion. But in neither Edgar Rice Burroughs’s ageless tale, adapted by David Henry Hwang from a recent animated movie, nor in Disney’s chronicle is civilising the savage the whole story. The narrative of Tarzan – orphaned as an infant, raised by primates – is only one aspect of rainforest literature, and Disney’s live extravaganzas are not the only outposts in Manhattan’s theatrical territory.

The audience will not find the transcendent thrills of The Lion King. They will not even find the resonant spiritual grace of Aida. For this third of Disney’s screen-to-stage transfers set in Africa the emphasis is on decor. The book scenes are often awkward devices to get us from plot point to plot point, and the evening’s chief effect is that of an illustrated songbook, with the usual Disney family themes in place.

But what stagecraft! Bob Crowley, who directed as well as designed the sets and costumes, is a wizard, but he has met the challenge of the cramped Rodgers with more than his customary skill. Tarzan begins with a shipwreck, washes us up on a beach, then lowers us into a jungle habitat, where most of the show unfolds in front of a lush vegetative curtain.

If the effects are less magical than those of The Lion King, the technicians more than compensate with their high-wire trickery. Pichon Baldinu, of De La Guarda fame, did the aerial design, and all I have space to say is that we are a long way from Peter Pan.

The actors – Josh Strickland and Jenn Gambatese are Tarzan and Jane – are secondary, and Phil Collins’s songs are pretty much what you would expect. But Tarzan is the only show of the season that places us joyously in a world of wonder.

Tel +1 212 307 4100
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/33f3ccc6-e042-11da-9e82-0000779e2340.html#

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#1re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 4:42pm

Not a bad start.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

RentBoy86
#2re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 4:46pm

Financial Times Review? Doesn't seem like they would cover theatre, just by the name of the publication.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#3re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 4:48pm

shh...dont tell munk!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#4re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 4:52pm

Did he say that Aida was a "screen to stage" transfer?

PEACE.

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#5re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 4:57pm

Aida was actually an animated treatment before it was moved to the stage. I have an early script, it's pretty cool and it works much better. So weird Disney has done 3 shows set in Africa.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#6re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 4:59pm

I hear their next musical will be Death On The Nile:Kiss My Asp!

PEACE.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#7re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 5:00pm

Heh!

Actually, if they could get Angela to reprise her role in the movie...

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#8re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 5:08pm

If possible, could we denote at the top of the overall positivity in the article? (IE: Rave, positive, mixed to positive, mixed, mixed to negative, negative etc)

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#9re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 5:50pm

I'd say it's Mixed-to-positive

sondwisenheimer Profile Photo
sondwisenheimer
#10re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 5:53pm

Wow. The Financial Times. I can't wait to see what the New England Journal of Medicine has to say about it.

MargoChanning
#11re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 5:55pm

The writer of the review, Brendon Lemon, gave the show Three out of Five Stars, which, by definition, translates as "Mixed" not "Mixed-to-Positive."

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#12re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 6:25pm

i believe The Financial Times is a MAJOR London newspaper...

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

CharlieBrown
#13re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 6:28pm

Money quote that we'll be seeing in the ads and on the sides of buses:

"Tarzan is the only show of the season that places us joyously in a world of wonder."

The overall tone of the review is pretty positive. And clearly designed to sell tickets.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#14re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 8:14pm

It's definitely mixed. I mean, it kinda boils down to basically a" singing the set" review. So it actually made the "money shot" tag a surprise.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#15re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 8:30pm

where are the others

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

JerseyScoundrel
#16re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 8:33pm

Lonon has to rave due to the politics of it. Bob Crowley is from London, therefore the have to give him a good word to those on the West End.

"This is a stupid story. It never stops. But we keep making lemonade! We're opening the biggest f***ing lemonade stand you ever saw!" -Walter Bobbie after a long day of Sweet Charity Rehersals (Newyorkmetro.com)

MargoChanning
#17re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 8:46pm

Another British review from Benedict Nightingale of the London Times. He gives it Three out of Five Stars:

"NO, DISNEY’S latest stage adaptation of a full-length cartoon is not another Lion King. Tarzan is not as visually daring or imaginatively thrilling as that particular take on the Dark Continent and, either in spite or because of Phil Collins being the composer, the theatre does not resonate with such striking African sounds.
But then it is not another Beauty and the Beast either. There are no counterparts of those dancing teacups and prancing corkscrews in Bob Crowley’s production. There isn’t a baby-ape picnic or a game of gorilla baseball in David Henry Hwang’s book. Indeed, there’s nothing off-puttingly twee in either man’s rejigging of the Me-Tarzan-You-Jane tale.

Here’s where Collins’s lyrics veer towards psychobabble. Already there has been solemn stuff about the importance of family and love (“we need each other, to have, to hold”), about trusting one’s heart and relying on fate, about the journey from boyhood to “walk-tall” adulthood. Now Tarzan is singing of “these emotions I can barely control” and learning “to be the man I am inside”, Jane is boggling at a chap so “at one with nature” and wondering why she “feels so complete”, and even Daddy is acknowledging her “symptoms of joy”.

But the compensation for the show’s emotional and ecological uplift, and sententious tributes to the unity of creation, is Crowley’s spectacle: gorgeous lotus blossoms, fluttering human butterflies, shadowy leopards with red eyes, an enormous spider to menace Jane, though sadly not the Great Flying Cockroach her father seeks. At times I felt like repeating what the show’s English visitors keep saying: oh my goodness."

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14936-2174514,00.html

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

commasplice
#18re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 9:02pm

The Dallas Morning News (I don't know, ask Google News, which gave it to me when I searched) is negative (and describes part of the shipwreck scene, so if you don't want to know what it looks like, don't read the review).

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-tarzan_0511gl.State.Edition1.1b76e8da.html

"King of the bungle
Monkeys at typewriters could write a better show than 'Tarzan'"

"The Disney organization spent a rumored $15 million to $20 million to bring Tarzan to the stage. And what they have to show for it is a wimpy, shifty-eyed, lost little boy.

The new musical, based on the 1999 animated version with a bevy of fresh tunes by Phil Collins added to the original five, opened at the Richard Rodgers Theatre on Wednesday, the official final night of the 2005-06 Broadway season. It was a dispiriting last curtain to a year without a great new musical.Not that Tarzan is likely to flop. With a built-in audience of families who have already seen The Lion King once or twice, it could well run forever, as have both previous theatrical adaptations of Disney animated features. But the goal here, clearly, was to follow the model that made The Lion King a critical as well as popular hit. They just went about it all the wrong way."

"What we get instead is a lot of singing and talking gorillas. These might thwart even the most experienced director. A novice probably had no chance to make them convincing – and Meryl Tankard's crude choreography makes things all the harder. Still, Shuler Hensley and Merle Dandridge almost succeed in making us care about the great apes who adopt a human baby; they're the best things in the show.

Librettist David Henry Hwang makes the central theme of this Tarzan a child's search for his human roots. The target audience would seem to be adopted kids who think their parents no better than a monkey's uncle. This take no doubt motivated casting Josh Strickland, seen on TV momentarily as an American Idol wannabe, in the title role. He is the show's worst miscalculation." (He also says, "Mr. Strickland does have the pipes for the songs, but Mr. Collins hasn't given him anything memorable to sing.")

(I feel weird doing this.)

MargoChanning
#19re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 9:02pm

Hollywood Reporter/Reuters is Mixed:

""Tarzan," the Walt Disney Co.'s latest theatrical excursion, has been staged by Bob Crowley, a designer with no directorial experience on his extensive resume. That's no accident because the show is not so much directed as designed, to within an inch of its life.

This musical version of the animated film is a gorgeous and imaginative production, the impact of which lessens considerably once the story and score kick in. While somewhat lacking compared to the long-running hits "Beauty and the Beast" and "The Lion King," it should please its target family audiences and seems destined to further increase the company's theatrical presence.

The visual and aural splendors of the production kick in immediately, with a series of dazzling stage images that have a significant "wow" effect. The effects begin with a shipwreck, followed by an underwater sequence in which the onstage figures are seen swimming furiously. Then the action shifts to a beach, which we seem to be viewing through an overhead camera shot.

Such lavishly designed images permeate the production, which, along with its surround-sound din, is certainly the most cinematic show ever seen on Broadway. Thankfully, Crowley provides an intense theatricality, much of it seemingly inspired by Cirque du Soleil, to go along with the special effects. Indeed, some of the best moments come from such relatively primitive styles as shadow puppetry.

Of course, it's the flying apes and title character that people have come to see, and the show doesn't disappoint. They fly through the trees, and sometimes over the audiences' heads, in thrillingly athletic fashion, accompanied by music that plays more like a soundtrack than a traditional theatrical score.

Indeed, this one of the show's main problems. Phil Collins' music, featuring numbers from the film as well as new ones written for this production, doesn't exactly leap off the stage. Sure, it includes some terrific songs, including "Two Worlds" and the Oscar-winning "You'll Be in My Heart." But it rarely displays the sort of theatrical energy or style that would lift it above the realm of background music.

The book by Tony-winning playwright David Henry Hwang ("M. Butterfly") is similarly disappointing. While no one was expecting great profundity in his retelling of the story of the boy raised by apes and his subsequent identity crisis upon meeting the very beautiful and human Jane (Jenn Gambatese), a little more wit and subtlety would have been nice."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/reviews/review_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002500921

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#20re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 9:16pm

Oh, that's right - this is the last show of the season. Does that mean we are going to have to wait until fall for the next "Reviews" thread? These are some of my favorite threads. re: Tarzan Reviews

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

MargoChanning
#21re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 9:24pm

Martin Short opens in July.

Hawker
#22re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 9:29pm

It's Disney, for God's sake. The thing will have legs no matter what the critics say.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#23re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 9:41pm

Generally they are sugar coated negative reviews.

I really hope Variety, the Times, Post, News, and other major publications show some more teeth.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MargoChanning
#24re: Tarzan Reviews
Posted: 5/10/06 at 9:55pm

Theatremania is Negative:

"You Tarzan, me disgruntled -- but not as disgruntled as someone else would be if he were still alive. A chronology contained in a 2006 edition of Edgar Rice Burroughs's Tarzan and the Apes notes that, when the first films adapted from Burroughs's books were released in 1918, the author was "frustrated by the simplistic way Hollywood treats Tarzan." Well, if he was irked by those flicks, he'd throw spears at the new musical that has been perpetrated in his name -- or sort of in his name, since "Edgar Rice Burroughs" appears only in minuscule type on the program's title page.

There, it's acknowledged that the live show Disney has fashioned from the company's 1999 animated feature film is "based on" the first book in the Burroughs series, the above-mentioned Tarzan of the Apes. It doesn't say "loosely based," which would be more accurate. It's hardly jolting to realize that certain jungle-bred aspects of Tarzan's character have been expunged from this musical. In that first blockbuster book, Burroughs writes of his existentially free hero, "To kill was the first law of the wild world he knew. Few were his primitive pleasures, but the greatest of these was to hunt and kill....That he joyed in killing, and that he killed with a joyous laugh upon his handsome lips betokened no innate cruelty."

Librettist David Henry Hwang has downplayed such character traits, as did so many previous adapters. This in itself isn't reprehensible in a libretto that, if it has any message at all, wants to say something about so-called civilized conduct as differentiated from so-called savage behavior. We live in a time when the peace-loving protagonist is favored over the jingoistic warrior, and this Tarzan reflects that mentality, which is probably the right commercial choice on Disney's part. The loose-adaptation is much more of a problem in terms of the musical's helter-skelter storytelling, stock characterizations, and scatterbrained dialogue.

Now that the property has been transferred to the stage, Collins has supplemented his Oscar-winning "You'll Be in My Heart" and four other songs from the film with nine new numbers; unfortunately, he has not come up with the kind of character songs that a stage musical requires.

If spectacle alone were enough to make a good musical, as many producers mistakenly believe nowadays, this Cirque du Soleil-influenced entry would be a great one. But spectacle doesn't, and this isn't. Disney's Tarzan will leave many audience members wondering: Where's Johnny Weissmuller when you need him?

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/8231

Updated On: 5/10/06 at 09:55 PM

Videos