pixeltracker

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?- Page 8

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#175re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/20/09 at 12:29pm

I would love to see her Desiree.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#176re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/20/09 at 12:55pm

I'm a huge Clark fan. I'd love to see her tackle this role.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#177re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/20/09 at 1:08pm

I don't think that ATC post about Victoria Clark is correct. I think that there may be a "star" Desiree.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#178re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/20/09 at 2:21pm

I agree with everyone who thinks Rachel York would be a wonderful Desiree. She is stunningly beautiful. I have never been disapointed in one of her performances, and I'm sure she could impress.

Hunter Herdlicka graduated from CMU as a Musical Theatre major this year. He played Jack in their production of "Into the Woods" November of last year, which I went to see. He is very talented. Great voice and look. Visit cmushowcase.com to see his photo and resume.

I'll take the wind and soar.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#179re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/20/09 at 2:24pm

Having brought up Rachel York to begin with, I reiterate how phenomenal she would be in the role.

She seems to be able to nail every single role she does. Desiree would be no exception.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#180re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/20/09 at 2:27pm

Now that there may be a "star" Desiree, I really hope Brooke Shields is being considered. Even though she may be too old for this production.

Updated On: 6/20/09 at 02:27 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#181re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/20/09 at 3:40pm

I don't see Clark working in this production at all, but her Desiree would be great, I think she's more appropriate for the part than someone like Christine Ebersole.
I love the idea of a star Desiree, though Smaxie's quotation marks make me think he means it's a relative star. Wonder who.
I think Kristin Chenoweth is not and would never be right for Desiree, or maybe when she's older. Right now I don't think she fits the sort of elegant flair that Desiree has.
Kate Winslet or Laura Linney pretty please.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

[tos]fan999 Profile Photo
[tos]fan999
#182re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/20/09 at 3:40pm

Add me to Rachel York's camp. I loved her in Kiss Me, Kate and listen to her album more times than necessary. Her Desiree would be amazing.

<-----Bernadette Peters and Alexander Hanson in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Send in the clowns...Send in the crowds!

"I prefer neurotic people. I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface."-Stephen Sondheim

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#183re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/20/09 at 5:46pm

I really hope we get an announcement soon because the waiting is just painful.

There are some inspired suggestions for Desiree in this thread. I would be at the Kerr in a heartbeat to see Laura Linney or Rachel York in the role. I think both ladies would be divine.

Smaxie- anything you can say about what you might know or have heard regarding the casting?

lovesclassics
#184re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/22/09 at 12:24am

Put me on the Rachel York love train! I just saw her in Hello, Dolly! in Boston Friday night, and she is giving a performance for the ages. The torch has officially been passed. Goodbye Carol, hello Rachel.

She. Can. Do. Anything.

Here's a quote from the Boston Herald:

"York could not have a more commanding stage presence."

And Edge Boston:

"York owns the role."

Seems like the right qualities for Desiree, no? re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?

And she fits the age range that they have stressed - 35-40.

Her "Send in the Clowns" would be magnificent. AND she'd get the comedy. AND she's gorgeous. AND you'd have no problem believing that every man alive would swoon over her. AND she can be heartbreakingly vulnerable.

Okay, I'll stop now. re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?

lovesclassics
#185re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/22/09 at 12:34am

And I just had another thought:

Could Julie Andrews do Mme. Armfeldt? She has sung a bit again, right? She could sort of speak-sing Liaisons. I think she'd be grand!

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#186re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/22/09 at 4:14am

^ As much I love Angela, that would be absolutely lovely. Gotta love Julie. I think I'll have to pop in Victor/Victoria soon, it's been a while. :)

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#187re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/22/09 at 4:39am

You know I like Rachel York A LOT, but thinking about her only reminds me of how much more I enjoyed Marin Mazzie's performance in Kiss Me Kate. Marin Mazzie can just be more glamorous then York and her comic timing is a little sharper, I think. Needless to say, I would love to see Ms. Mazzie as Desiree.

somethingwicked
#188re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 4:50pm

According to a poster on ATC, Michael Cerveris has booked "a major role" in this production. Though he's ideally suited for Carl-Magnus, the age restrictions in place would make him only eligible for Frederick.

Another post in the same thread there confirms that Victoria Clark was seen for Desiree earlier this week and that the producers are meeting with Angela Lansbury about the possibility of playing Madame Armfeldt within the next few days.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#189re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 4:53pm

If Angela plays Madame Armfeldt my summer would be complete.

Yankeefan007
#190re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 4:55pm

Here's SomethingWicked's thread on ATC about the show:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1742847

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#191re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 5:02pm

Oh, Trevor please do what is right and please go with Winslet. She has auditioned and the role is seemingly tailor-made to her innumerable comedic and dramatic skills.

Clark will be a wonderful replacement, should she choose to be one. But she is a great singer and I don't need to hear another oversung "Send In The Clowns". If I want an oversung "Send In The Clowns" I'll listen to THE BROADWAY ALBUM (love it, but still...).

Winslet will mean you can cast ANYONE in the other roles and still sell out the run.

Winslet and Lansbury in this together would literally make me... well, this isn't that kind of message board.

P

somethingwicked
#192re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 5:03pm

Pgenre, where did you hear Winslet auditioned?

As I said earlier in the thread, she'd be ideal.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#193re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 5:06pm

I was going to comment with the ATC thread!

I love Victoria Clark, and I'm sure she'd be a wonderful Desiree, but I honestly have a hard time picturing it.

I do think Kate Winslet would be ideal, especially in the parameters of this revival.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#194re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 5:21pm

She has auditioned for Sondheim before, when she was supposed to play Mrs. Lovett to Russel Crowe's Sweeney in the Sam Mendes film version of the show which was thisclose to being made. They even did a couple months of preproduction.

Sondheim loves her and wants to work with her. Apparently, she was going to do ST with Johnny but Burton convinced Sondheim that Bonham-Carter could get her voice up to snuff (which apparently she did as Sondheim approved her casting ultimately though if I were faced with: keep-Helena-movie or keep-Winslet-no-movie, I'd pick the former too).

The only problem seems to be any drama left over from the lawsuit involving Mendes over WISE GUYS. And what does one's husband have to do with one's casting in a role anyway, even if the husband and wife are an Academy Award winning director and an Academy Award winning actress.

But, I think Arthur has taken on the mantle of Sam Mendes's Biggest Enemy (and maybe one of Sondheim's too, though I hope they realize they are both pretty girls and patch it up in time for ANYONE CAN WHISTLE next year) with his new book.

P

somethingwicked
#195re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 5:28pm

It was Meryl Streep who was supposed to play Mrs. Lovett to Russell Crowe's Sweeney when Sam Mendes was attached, not Winslet.

I'm not sure if Winslet was up for the role once Tim Burton became involved, but I do know Toni Collette was the "main contender" who ultimately lost out to Helena Bonham-Carter in the end.

Updated On: 6/24/09 at 05:28 PM

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#196re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 5:29pm

Oh my God stop with the Winslet talk! You're getting my hopes up way too high.

Lansbury, Winslet, and Cerveris? Holy hell that would be off the hook incredible.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#197re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 5:32pm

That's what was in the press, somethingwicked. Don't believe everything you read in the papers (or on message board, either, I suppose).

P

P.S. Collette was committed to films and could not have done Burton's. She auditioned for Sondheim and Mendes back when it was their project. Mendes acted as producer even when Burton became involved, remember. I think undoubtedly Toni wouldve been best.

I think you are confusing your stories: Collette was thisclose to being cast as Roxie in CHICAGO, not thisclose to being Mrs. Lovett (that was Winslet, and before her Collette was on the shortlist and Streep's involvement was limited- she didn't audition). Updated On: 6/24/09 at 05:32 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#198re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:06pm

Michael Cerveris, again? I like him a lot but I'm sort of sick of seeing him cast in everything.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#199re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:11pm

pgenre- I thought it was Charlize Theron that was thisclose to being Roxie in Chicago. She actually HAD the role before Marshall took over as director.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Videos