pixeltracker

Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters - Page 9

Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters

JennH
#200Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 11:42am

briankershawjr said: "Personally I think Universal won’t touch it since it’s it biggest movie that year. With Star Wars not doing so hot right now they won’t change anything
With announcements be patient ... the director said in 2016 he set aside 2018 for Wicked... I would say March with Summer taping time
"

I'm a tad confused...won't touch it? Universal has been attached to this since the show began, it was the show's biggest producer. SW NOT doing so hot? SW has been a huge hit at least financially. 

AEA AGMA SM
#201Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 11:46am

briankershawjr said: "Personally I think Universal won’t touch it since it’s it biggest movie that year. With Star Wars not doing so hot right now they won’t change anything
With announcements be patient ... the director said in 2016 he set aside 2018 for Wicked... I would say March with Summer taping time
"

The Star Wars fan boys may claim they are done with the series, but the fact that The Last Jedi had the best domestic box office of 2017, and the third highest world-wide box office certainly does not point to it doing "not so hot" (especially considering that only accounts for three weeks of release).

briankershawjr
#202Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 12:10pm

Sorry didn’t mean to confuse u JennH..
this is want i meant...

Yes universal has been attached to Wicked since the beginning... Universal won’t touch it meaning move the date from Dec 20th..

You are right Star Wars is a major hit , however people disliked it and the second week after the premiere the intake of the movie went down...

That week will be a battle can Disney with Star Wars and Universal with Wicked

ALSO.... universal will not mess with it or move it bc it will be a big promo to win during the award season...

Theatre Fan3
#203Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 12:18pm

JennH said: "briankershawjr said: "Personally I think Universal won’t touch it since it’s it biggest movie that year. With Star Wars not doing so hot right now they won’t change anything
"

I'm a tad confused...won't touch it? Universal has been attached to this since the show began, it was theshow's biggest producer. SW NOT doing so hot? SW has been a huge hit at least financially.
"

I think briankershawjr meant that Universal won't change the release date.  I wouldn't worry about it opening against SW ... in my mind they are two entirely different types of films plus lots of people go to more than one movie over the holidays.  As for his comment about SW not doing so hot ... I think he must be basing that comment on the online criticism by fans not being happy with the choices that were made with LJ but the reality is that it was just announced that LJ has passed Beauty and The Beast as the highest grossing domestic release of 2017 and is the 3rd highest globally behind BATB and F8.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#204Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 12:34pm

briankershawjr said: "Sorry didn’t mean to confuse u JennH..
this is want i meant...

Yes universal has been attached to Wicked since the beginning... Universal won’t touch it meaning move the date from Dec 20th..

You are right Star Wars is a major hit , however people disliked it and the second week after the premiere the intake of the movie went down...

That week will be a battle can Disney with Star Wars and Universal with Wicked

ALSO.... universal will not mess with it or move it bc it will be a big promo to win during the award season...
"

Does that really matter, if it still earned over a billion dollars? The second week may have been lower than the first, but their second week was still much better than another films first week. It’s still a popular franchise no matter how well received a film is. Force Awakens had to come off the horrible prequels and thats the third highest grossing film of all time. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

briankershawjr
#205Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 12:48pm

I should say I loved Last Jedi and so love all things Star Wars..
The thing is Universal will not change the month... however they might move it back a day or two or up a week...
personally I think they won’t touch it bc they want to battle Disney... since they own a good percent of the movies now with them buying fox... and I love Disney
Also rumor has it the director next project after Wicked is the obi wan movie that’s rumored to started next January and the director has been attached to Wicked since the beginning
Universal announced on Twitter a year or two ago the premiere date unless they feel it’s in real danger they won’t do anything

JennH
#206Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 3:59pm

Ah got it, makes sense. Y'all are also forgetting one other Disney film slated to be released around the same time...that Frozen sequel anyone? So yeah, it's gonna be a dual Disney film v Universal battle that holiday season if they all keep their release dates. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#207Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 4:01pm

And when is the sequel to oz the great and powerful coming? That’s another Wicked needs to be worried about.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

schubox
#208Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 4:19pm

I think he meant percentage wise TLJ had the highest drop of any of the new SW movies. And it has been divisive with fans. That being said it’s still a massive, gigantic hit. It might be slightly and I mean slightly, disappointing, but it still is over a billion worldwide.

I didn’t like the movie and I’ll stjll be there day 1 for Episode 9. I guess they could count on Wicked being counter enough to challenge it, but I think the fanbases overlap too much

briankershawjr
#209Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 4:23pm

Frozen 2 comes out November 27 so no fear of that
Oz the great and powerful sequel I don’t think will happen anytime soon ....
Wicked biggest threat will be Star Wars but really universal is only worried for award season. They want that best picture best song actress and actor...)
Even if Wicked comes in second place universal will only worry about how much it made in the end..

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#210Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 4:42pm

Films change release dates all the time, so just because they announced it on Twitter, doesn't mean they "own" the date. Anyone who says Star Wars was a disappointment is nuts, its massive hit. The appeal of Star Wars is much greater than that of Wicked. I don't think they will make that release date anyway. 

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#211Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 4:51pm

Would love to see Lady Gaga as Elphaba, but she may be too old for it at this point.

briankershawjr
#212Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 6:37pm

They won’t move pass the date to file for the award season ..... Star Wars moved its original date to go against wicked... Disney is not stupid...
I could be wrong but I have a feeling that they will ask Meryl Streep to be Mdme Morrible

BroadwayNYC2
#213Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 9:56pm

Yeah...

but they can delay it a year. You are too hung up on release dates to understand the logistics of this situation.  The Star Wars film was switched after the director change, not to rival a film that may or may not happen in 2019.

2019 isn't the be all end all. 

briankershawjr
#214Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/1/18 at 10:54pm

Not true ... Star war was moved way before they switched a director and unless universal has something to replace it with they won’t move it from that year...
Stephen Daugtry the director has reported he set aside this year for the movie and Disney wants him for the obi wan movie next year...
I have no doubt there a possibility for it to move to 2020 but not 100% sure
Wicked is a major property for Universal they want something major for Christmas 2019.. just like Disney does.
Even Stephen Schwartz said the script is in the directors hands .
I’m thinking we will hear news like in a few months...
Look at Mamma Mia 2 Unoversal said July 2018 and it’s going to be 2018

BroadwayNYC2
#215Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/2/18 at 7:53am

Again, not true http://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-episode-ix-release-date-jj-abrams-1202555963/

To say Universal would rather have a "major property" for Christmas over the maximum possible box office potential is ridiculous 

briankershawjr
#216Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/2/18 at 9:08am

And again ur article proved what I said was true here the quote

Variety reported that Disney had already been looking to push production from February to June and that the release date would likely move even after how quickly the studio found a replacement director.

Not because JJ Abram , well not only
They had already looked to move it

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#217Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/2/18 at 9:28am

I could see Wicked moving its release date to Christmas day. I remember Universal did the same thing with Les Miserables as that film was previously set to open up against the first Hobbit film.

loveinnewyorkcity Profile Photo
loveinnewyorkcity
#218Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/2/18 at 9:59am

I don't think a release coinciding with Star Wars will have any impact on Wicked. Two drastically different films, with drastically different audiences. That's not to say there's an overlap but for the most part, I mean, yeah.
No matter when Wicked releases it likely won't pull in north of $30 million opening weekend. It's not going to be some huge blockbuster. It'll be a steady sell throughout the holiday weeks, as people flock to the movies then.
Releasing the film in December, though, will give it an awards season push, most likely for costumes, make-up, score, and possibly original song as most movie musicals create an addition to the soundtrack for the piece.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#219Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/2/18 at 10:54am

"Releasing the film in December, though, will give it an awards season push, most likely for costumes, make-up, score, and possibly original song as most movie musicals create an addition to the soundtrack for the piece."

Elphaba and Galinda are plum parts - I expect they'd want to go for acting categories as well. Let's just hope the screen rewrites don't make one character "supporting" because that would not serve the story well. At least not the story theater-goers have learned to love over last 15 years.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BroadwayNYC2
#220Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/2/18 at 11:21am

“And again ur article proved what I said was true here the quote”

Not what the quote is saying. It is saying they were looking to move before the director was officially announced. They knew they would not make the release date to the switch. It is 100% due to the director change

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#221Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/2/18 at 11:34am

Valentina3 said: ""Releasing the film in December, though, will give it an awards season push, most likely for costumes, make-up, score, and possibly original song as most movie musicals create an addition to the soundtrack for the piece."

Elphaba and Galinda are plum parts - I expect they'd want to go for acting categories as well. Let's just hope the screen rewrites don't make one character "supporting" because that would not serve the story well. At least not the story theater-goers have learned to love over last 15 years.
"

Let's hope they are really just trying to make a great movie...instead of concerning themselves with possible academy awards.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

EmeraldOzian
#222Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/2/18 at 9:43pm

They will not move the date, a family film based on a mega blockbuster musical with an alternative audience to their competition which releases over a two week school vacation period and has a popular hold over the female teen and young adult audiences. This film is going to be box office gold for them and probably their best release slot for opening regardless of going up against Star Wars. 

schubox
#223Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/3/18 at 1:37am

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Films change release dates all the time, so just because they announced it on Twitter, doesn't mean they "own" the date. Anyone who says Star Wars was a disappointment is nuts, its massive hit. The appeal of Star Wars is much greater than that of Wicked. I don't think they will make that release date anyway."

It’s pretty widely reported that it has disappointed, not that it’s a disappointment. No one would argue that it’s a huge success. But it is dropping faster than the other Star Wars, has far more criticism from fans and barely beat Jumanji this weekend. It seems silly to be talking this way about a billion dollar grossing movie, but people in the industry are taking note 

briankershawjr
#224Wicked OFFICIALLY coming to theaters
Posted: 1/3/18 at 12:31pm

I just think its going to be very interesting to see Wicked go against Star Wars... It gives people the chance to see a double feature that day. I need to see who's in the cast first. Look at Greatest Showman, many critics put this movie down, however it did better then they thought. So I think Movie Musicals can hold their ground against big movies either being Star Wars or any other type.

Videos