pixeltracker

WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread- Page 9

WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#200WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/17/16 at 11:49pm

I saw it Friday night and enjoyed it a lot, largely because of the two leads (not to look too far into the future, but this is a show it's really hard to see surviving without two very charismatic and well-known stars). As others have noted, the men are not very interesting (I'd either like more of them or a lot less of them, since the only thing that distinguishes them now is that one's gay and one isn't).  It definitely feels like the work of the "Grey Gardens" team -- and, as in that show (which I love, btw), it seems odd to me that there are many solos and a couple duets for the female leads but virtually no numbers in which they work with the chorus. I'm not asking for "Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat" but it would be nice to have a song or two that involved the prominent characters with the chorus.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#201WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/18/16 at 9:19am

best12bars said: "I didn't realize Patti Cohenour is in the company! I'm assuming she's standing by for both leads?"

I believe she's only covering Ebersole. I think Joanna Glushak is covering LuPone.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

brdlwyr
#202WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/18/16 at 11:02am

Costumes are stunning  - especially the NY social elites.  Christine and Patti create a relationship without communicating directly.  Christine's Pink is anthem for many women, my wife wept.  Orchestrations are great.

Patti is hilarious. We loved the show, so happy we got to see it! 

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#203WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/18/16 at 1:40pm

Costumes are indeed stunning but they sure make LuPone look diminutive. I've seen her in other things but, based on this, she sure does not look 5-2 (and, of course, Ebersole's heighten increases the contrast). I was guessing under five feet tall.

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#204WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/18/16 at 1:44pm

KnewItWhenIWasInFron said: "Costumes are indeed stunning but they sure make LuPone look diminutive. I've seen her in other things but, based on this, she sure does not look 5-2 (and, of course, Ebersole's heighten increases the contrast). I was guessing under five feet tall."

Standing next to Douglas Sills also really draws attention to her height.

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#205WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/18/16 at 3:19pm

BWW has posted production photos. The costume and set design are great!

WAR PAINT production photos

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#206WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/18/16 at 3:28pm

I thought this was disappointingly bland. It certainly wasn't unpleasant... but not much happened. It was like a wikipedia page with songs. No real character arch, no real conflict. 

The Act 1 closing song was terrific, as where the final two solo numbers for the leads... everything else was generically lovely but had no real impact. 

It was very glamorous. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

Broadwayhunk Profile Photo
Broadwayhunk
#207WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/18/16 at 4:01pm

I so want this to be good.  

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#208WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/18/16 at 4:11pm

Those pictures look lovely.  I wish I could hear some of the score.

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#209WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/18/16 at 6:47pm

Forgot to mention that I attended a pre-show talk on Saturday and the speaker indicated that was the first frozen performance (and that they were "out of rehearsal time"WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread, which would make sense since it opens tonight. Take it with a grain of salt, since he also said that no one knows if the show is going to Broadway and that Christine Ebersole was the original choice for her role. (One interesting thing he did note is that the show was specifically dreamed up as a way to bring together two great ladies of the musical theater.)

Broadwayhunk Profile Photo
Broadwayhunk
#210WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/18/16 at 9:33pm

JeaniusIsMe said: "KnewItWhenIWasInFron said: "Costumes are indeed stunning but they sure make LuPone look diminutive. I've seen her in other things but, based on this, she sure does not look 5-2 (and, of course, Ebersole's heighten increases the contrast). I was guessing under five feet tall."

Standing next to Douglas Sills also really draws attention to her height.

"Well, Helena was actually quite tiny so it fits.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#211WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/18/16 at 9:39pm

Is anybody attending the evening performance on the 24th? I will be there. My group has taken up one of the boxes. Can't remember which one.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

binau Profile Photo
binau
#212WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/18/16 at 10:45pm

KnewItWhenIWasInFron said: "Forgot to mention that I attended a pre-show talk on Saturday and the speaker indicated that was the first frozen performance (and that they were "out of rehearsal time"WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread, which would make sense since it opens tonight. Take it with a grain of salt, since he also said that no one knows if the show is going to Broadway and that Christine Ebersole was the original choice for her role. (One interesting thing he did note is that the show was specifically dreamed up as a way to bring together two great ladies of the musical theater.)

"

See, the composer said on a radio interview recently that although they hope to go to Broadway - nothing was set in stone. Yet Liza (if I recall correctly) seem to have a different idea - that it is confirmed and going to the Nederlander. I hope they're right, but surely if it was confirmed they would say so. Unless they are waiting for the official announcement. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#213WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/19/16 at 5:34am

Reviews are not exactly great

binau Profile Photo
binau
#214WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/19/16 at 6:25am

Ouch Nytimes WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread. Positive for the two leads though and certain moments. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#216WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/19/16 at 7:32am

Chicago Sun Times is positive 

http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/war-paint-a-musical-whose-beauty-is-far-more-than-skin-deep/

Brantley and the Tribune are mixed. 

Updated On: 7/19/16 at 07:32 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#217WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/19/16 at 7:39am

Brantley: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/theater/review-war-paint-recalls-two-cosmetics-titans.html?_r=1

Chicago Tribune: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/reviews/ct-war-paint-goodman-patti-lupone-review-ent-0719-20160718-column.html

Funny how some are quick to call the reviews bad, but don't offer any links for others to read them. 

Updated On: 7/19/16 at 07:39 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#218WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/19/16 at 9:08am

Brantley's review really wasn't that bad. He seemed to echo a lot of what's been said here, actually. High praise for the two women and the score, but thinks the story is predictable and perhaps generic. 

I don't think any of these reviews will sway anyone one way or the other about a transfer to Broadway. 

#219WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/19/16 at 9:31am

Can anyone with a program please tell me who the makeup designer is?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#220WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/19/16 at 9:42am

I found Brantley's review to be weirdly bitchy and dismissive.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Liza's Headband
#221WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/19/16 at 9:47am

Mr. Nowack said: "The Headband is a prophet of the Gods and all words that come from thine big mouth are true.

"

It's fine if you don't want to believe me ... I'll lose no sleep over that ... but there's no need to besmirch or criticize me. I have not said anything about you in this thread. Why must you attack me? Asshole. 

P.S. Stone is the lead producer. He usually gets what he wants and he wants this playing in NY come spring 2017 at a Shubert house. Unless something goes horribly wrong, it is a safe assumption that this will be on Broadway. 

Call_me_jorge
#222WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/19/16 at 10:04am

So it's not going into the Nederlander?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Call_me_jorge
#223WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/19/16 at 10:04am

Perhaps the music box

neonlightsxo
#224WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/19/16 at 10:11am

Kad said: "I found Brantley's review to be weirdly bitchy and dismissive."

Bitchy and dismissive, yes. But from Brantley, that's not weird.

Videos